Nine (WIN)

Under the SCA affiliation once play out moved to NPC, did ad bleeding stop?

I imagine having playout for both metro and regional in the same facility would have meant no need for a dirty feed, or just a semi-dirty feed.

3 Likes

Can’t say I paid enough attention to say with certainty

But I do know that when the NPC switch happened the SCA Nine stations were consolidated with the metro Nine stations and handled together

The separate ‘SCA’ part of NPC was only for the 7 and 10 stations, the Nine stations were part of the metro Nine section in terms of playout

2 Likes

For clarity re your second point, for SCA Nine it was all dirty feed except for live sports which were clean

1 Like

Was NBN also with Nine and SCA?

1 Like

Yes indeed, NBN was always with NPC and the other Nine stations as it’s owned by Nine

When SCA would do sales for NBN they’d be sending that info straight to NPC even while SCA Nine stations were still being played out in house at Watson

1 Like

From what I saw, yes.
Once NPC was controlling the feed, I personally never saw any instance of timing errors with ad breaks.
There were plenty before NPC, but I saw nothing afterwards.

They have now returned with WIN affiliation.

2 Likes

Can’t WIN just add half a second of black before and after their breakaways just to cover whatever bleeds through from Nine? So worst case is the very beginning or very end of a dirty Nine promo would be cut off. Surely that’s better than giving metro advertisers a second of free air time?

2 Likes

You would think that would be relatively simple to implement or freeze the last frame of the previous ad for 300ms .

You would think Nine had smarts to set network black for TVC’s only on the dirty feed that both WIN/MHA and SCA/NPC use. But leave all promos and news updates and branding on the dirty feed for affiliates (apologies, am old fashioned as I refuse to call them alerts). But that would involve setting up a 3rd feed, sort of like a sub-dirty feed, being that the existing clean feed used by Imparja minus branding still exists.
But my understanding is that Nine will be transitioned to the same automation system if it hasn’t already that Seven uses where there is no network black opt outs anymore even on the clean feed. The clean feed is only minus branding for Seven these days as used by Prime/TBS. WIN would I assume source Seven dirty feeds at MHA?
If anything, the problem will worsen until Nine does all the WIN markets themselves when WIN either merges and or is bought out and WIN playout moves to NPC.

4 Likes

When a WIN Network billboard or ident airs at the very end of a commercial break, it will switch to black then fade back to the network feed. So they do custom black fadeaways already, they just need to implement a modified version of this and do it for every commercial break block they insert. Or, as you said, just freeze the opening or closing frame to avoid disrupting the flow.

When Prime Pres was in-house, we used to add half a second of black at 7pm in local bulletin markets to avoid clipping the end of 7News or Today Tonight. Some of us added 12 sec out of the news update at the end of the various pre-news game show to avoid clipping as well and at some other times to avoid other bits of clipping, but this required manual on-the-fly adjustments by the operator. Modern playout centres with a million markets per staff member don’t easily lend themselves to that level of care.

It’s simple enough to do. But it requires both an interest in doing it and operators to make sure it’s done properly. Playout automation won’t do it without manual intervention and I’ve yet to see a Traffic log which can be imported in to automation with duration overrides (such a feature could also cause more harm than good if there’s an error in the log).

Ultimately I don’t think the broadcasters care enough to invest the time or effort to eliminate clipping. Near enough is cheap good enough.

7 Likes

Wonder what happened to restrictions on subliminal adverting, even if inadvertent?
Ah, that’s right, an ACMA probe will come back as a slap on the wrist breach pointing to ‘technical issues’ with staff given training to alleviate such a breach in future?
Last time I looked, subliminal advertising was not in the Free TV Codes of Practice despite Clause 123 of the Broadcasting Services Act sub clause 2 (e)(iv).

Exactly. For example, TBS operators are still letting the generic bottom-right GWN7 bug show on local news and how long have they had the contract for now? Hard to notice the finer details when all you’ve got is 1 person and a tiny monitor smaller than my car’s stereo head unit.

Ahh, I remember when subliminal advertising was all the talk in the 00’s. I guess without intent it’s hard to make a case.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the old Chaser episodes with their attempts at subliminal messaging like this one that I just managed to find. A thing for another thread but very interesting the stuff they got away with then compared to how things would be again.

The Chaser’s War on Everything - S01 E01 P02 - YouTube

1 Like

Ten/Roving Enterprises tried it though and were found to be in breach (or at least some what they did)

Video of it in action:

7 Likes

on 9now their got 9live watermark and on win has 9 WWOS watermark lol funny how 9live not using 9 wws logo?

WIN Network

1 Like

It’s because WIN have got a clean feed of the event without the 9 live logo, hence the different logo.

2 Likes

Why is it funny that 9Now has the Nine watermark?

Found this during a search for something else.

It may have been discussed since, however, Andrew listed his Vaucluse home in April 2020 as mentioned in. Real Estate.com article titled:

Media scion Andrew Gordon of WIN TV lists Vaucluse home

Stephen Nicholls

30 Apr 2020, 8:25am

The agent helpfully mentioned that Andrew (as of Apr 2020) was now mainly based at the property bought in 2015 in the hills behind Austinmer which I guess is Cataract or Darkes Forest (mentions ocean views).

Did WIN air Millionaire Hot Seat in QLD and NSW last night?