Nine (WIN)

Totally agree, there was virtually zero care factor when the 2015 main channel rebrand happened.

As long as the local 6pm bulletin is retained, that is all viewers will care about, regardless of what it is called.

2 Likes

I’m ONLY talking about the NBN News brand, I have a good feeling people are going to be confused and angry to see a metro news bulletin pushed into the peoples local news spot, as its been for soooo long.

Agree that if the 6pm local bulletin is replaced by the Sydney bulletin, there will be some outrage, particularly when Prime7 no longer has a local bulletin or if it isn’t replaced by a Local News @ 5.30 bulletin ala WIN or Nine Gold Coast.

1 Like

And I really don’t think people would even think of watching those noodle updates either.

1 Like

Put it this way regional TV will never be in the same league as the TV in 5 metro capital cities even if the metro networks buy regional networks. There will always be diversity in TV between the regional areas and the metro areas.

1 Like

Realistically, what will probably happen first is NBN News being rebadged as Nine News - with no other elements changing.

Any change of format to 5.30pm local news/6pm TCN News (which yes, I can see NEC doing to NBN at some point…) would probably happen at a later date, maybe about a year or two after the branding change.

2 Likes

I can’t disagree with that, and I’m aware regional TV will never be the same, even in my eyes, I wish it was.

It’s getting more and more the same.

2 Likes

No way. NBN News is a cash cow as we’ve been told by many insiders on this forum. It also rates a higher share than ANY 6pm Nine News bulletin in the country. It is completely dominant.

They won’t mess with that.

NBN as a whole is also the highest rated Nine station in the country.

1 Like

But the second viewers see Paul Lobb at the desk introducing a story from Gosford, 70% of the confusion and hate and outrage over seeing the Nine logo at 6pm just fades away, doesn’t it?

6 Likes

Though regional stations don’t bring in the same ad $$$$ as metro stations, and regional bulletins are more expensive to produce in many respects with more reporters stationed across half the state covering greater distances, thus requiring more offices, vehicles etc,

3 Likes

NBN News has twice as many viewers as 9 News Perth and Adelaide. Advertisers pay per 1000 viewers they reach. So NBN should be bringing in much more coin.

Do you have any evidence that NBN News has a larger budget than 9 News Perth or Adelaide?

It’s a guess - would I would think the opposite. Salaries, real estate costs, graphic designers, editors, production, journalists - I Would think NEC gives Adelaide and Perth far more money than Newcastle to run their newsrooms.

I’d be surprised when divvying up news funds - NEC gives more to Newcastle than Perth

1 Like

And if they did, wouldn’t you then agree it’s because they make more $$$$?

Why the spend $$$$ in areas that don’t make the $$$$.

Even though Nine News doesn’t rate that well in Adelaide or Perth, you’d think they’d pour more resources into those stations due to the need for things like separate state political reporters + the overall prestige that Adelaide & Perth have as metro markets compared to Northern NSW which is regional.

3 Likes

No I don’t agree. In the case of Perth it’s a very weak market. The lowest in the network. Nine has been spending big on Perth for a decade trying to catch up to Seven. It needs investment

Newcastle and NBN are absolutely dominant - they dont need the investment.

Adelaide is not as weak as Perth but it’s a hotly contested market with Seven and it certainly rates below NBN - it’s strategically important also. They are neck a neck with Seven.

Why the spend $$$$ in areas that don’t make the $$$$.

Why spend the $$$$ in markets that are a dominant #1 and already make the $$$$

1 Like

I agreee.

NBN doesn’t really need the “love” it’s not as strategically important, they have no local competition, they dominate and it’s the highest rated Nine bulletin the the country and it’s a cash cow (we are told)

Those are not reasons to move it to 5.30.

2 Likes

I can’t think of one “regional” bulletin that would have higher costs than a “metro” bulletin.

Newcastle V Adelaide

Tasmania V Perth

Prime7 V Sydney

7QLD v Adelaide

I think the larger market bulletins are always going to have larger budgets.

1 Like

No doubt that if Prime7 Local News was more competitive in the ratings (and actually had a local news presence in Newcastle + the Central/Gold Coasts), you’d see Nine pour a lot more money in the Northern NSW market.

Don’t get me wrong, I personally don’t think they should either.

But in the long run, you’d think Nine would want a consistent lineup in all major regional markets.

Anyway…we’ve gone wildly off topic so I’ll leave it there!

2 Likes

No, I think Nine wants ratings and revenue. Local news live at 6 in all markets.

Moving to 5.30 would bleed viewers and revenue and have a negative halo effect on the whole station to run Sydney news at 6

3 Likes

PRIME are still running circles around their competition in WESTERN NSW, they could put colours bars to air and it will outrate 9 and WIN.

5 Likes