Nine (WIN)

They definitely got a metion.

8 Likes

Again.

:point_down:t3:

1 Like

Ive said it before but will say it again, WIN Western NEWS (i keep thinking of tumbleweeds going across the set). needs more local content, over the past couple of days, stories from Bega dont really work in Central west, and please some local sport, tonight was opals and something else not worth mentioning. Do they still only have 1 journo in Orange and Wagga? to cover that large area taking in Griffith and Dubbo…? its not far off being a good bulletin.

1 Like

Gotta wonder why WIN has returned the bulletin when they’re only willing to do a half assed effort. Surely they’d be better off with updates instead (which aren’t even mandatory in Griffith).

Surely Prime7 must be still winning by a country mile (pardon the pun) in Wagga Wagga and Central West if its competition is mediocre.

The “reintroduction” of this bulletin was probably just used as a bit of a stalking horse to help justify cuts to services elsewhere. They’ve basically repacked content from other markets and called it a new bulletin. Would cost them much less than they saved in other markets.

3 Likes

Sounds like they might as well pipe in the Canberra bulletin. Just as relevant by the sounds of it.

Commitment to provide a news product to the viewers, it was cut initially as a way of hastening the push of legislative reform (people tend to not complain until it is too late), but that stunt failed, so it has returned, albeit with an expanded footprint hence the watered down product which is a semi-state bulletin.

ACT, Wollongong (these two would otherwise have been lumped with the SNSW bulletin) and Tasmania (probably just noodle updates, ratings have been bad down there for a long time) are lucky to still have their proper local bulletins, everything else is watered down regional - provided Nine don’t stick the knife in any further or the market doesn’t go too much further backwards.

1 Like

On top of that, what relevance does the GTV 6pm bulletin have in Tasmania? At state level there should be a main local, national, international composite bulletin like what ABC and Southern Cross provide. To make viewers sit across 90 minutes to get what ABC does in 30 minutes and Southern Cross in 60 minutes is too much. 7QLD has the right idea, running stand alone local news in 7 markets at 6pm followed by a cutdown 30 minute Brisbane bulletin at 6.30pm to 7.00pm and Prime does even better with it’s 6pm 30 minute local news followed by a Prime produced Prime7 30 minute news covering national and international at 6.30pm all in the space of 60 minutes.
No wonder Southern Cross 7 Tasmania with its composite state, national and international trounces WIN. Maybe Nine with its affiliation contract does not allow WIN to do that and restricts them only to the 5.30pm weekday 30 minute breakaway across the whole WIN network?

3 Likes

I’m not aware of any plans for NEC to buy WIN at this stage. Maybe in future but not at this stage. I predict the WIN news brand will stay for sometime yet.

I certainly hope so. I would be very very sad if the name WIN News and NBN News is gone forever replaced by the 9 news brand. It would be a extremely sad day for regional TV in Australia if that happens.

1 Like

meh-mediocre

14 Likes

An extremely sad day for Australian TV is any one where bulletins are axed/cut-back on, likely resulting in the end of media careers for many talented presenters, reporters and behind the scenes crew.

WIN/NBN News being rebranded as Nine News? I think most viewers would be able to survive that, especially since Nine News used to be National Nine News, Seven News used to be Seven National/Nightly News while 10 News First used to be…well, more brand names than I can honestly be bothered to document!

5 Likes

people in my area of Western NSW have been calling WIN/SCA/WIN. Channel 9 for years… so i think it is inevitable

2 Likes

I think an NBN News rebrand is more likely to happen than a WIN News rebrand purely because of the ownership links involving Nine - NBN.

4 Likes

Probably because shareholders might need to vote on whether NEC can buy WIN and the shareholders can say no.

1 Like

Give it a bit more time and I could see it becoming something like Nine News Local again if they do retire the WIN News brand for a Nine News.

2 Likes

Still think NEC would be crucified if the NBN News brand was to all but disappear from Channel 8 in Newcastle and some other places up the east coast.

1 Like

Really? Why?
Terrestrial TV viewing audiences have reduced over the last decade, and where was the outrage and rioting when Nine branding displaced the 9NBN logo the other 23 hours of the day?

If done with some tact, I’d be shocked if there were a loss of ratings. It’s still the same product just without those 3 letters.

2 Likes

Oh really, bet you, those ratings WILL drop if it ever does change, within a lot of the regional places, the overlaps, not so much.

What makes you so certain that ordinary viewers care that much what a channel or news programme is branded?

If anything, apart from some confusion, people have already seen branding change several times over the last decade, more if we look beyond media.

Did Southern Cross News in Tasmania lose ratings when it rebranded to 7?

2 Likes