Nine (WIN)

if this is the case then I assume TVSN is moving onto MPEG4 to make more space for Sky News on WIN.

2 Likes

Expect mass confusion in Ayr near Townsville.

2 Likes

#PutOutYourSkinCreams

4 Likes

That was my assumption too.

1 Like

What is changing to TVSN?

From August 30, TVSN will change to broadcasting in the newer industry standard transmission format called Mpeg 4.

What is Mpeg 4?
Digital television broadcasting originally began in the older Mpeg 2 transmission format, but with technology improvements, an improved transmission format called Mpeg 4 was introduced. All TV broadcasters have embraced this new format by adding many new channels in Mpeg 4 (eg: All High Definition channels, 9Life, 7flix, the Racing Channel and Sky News on WIN and many more).

How will this change to Mpeg 4 on TVSN affect me?
From August 30, viewers with an Mpeg 4 compatible TV receiver or device will either see no difference to TVSN or perhaps a slightly better picture quality. Some viewers with older non-compatible Mpeg 4 TV receivers or devices may not see TVSN anymore and instead see black on their TV screen, or words on the screen saying “This service is scrambled” or “No Signal”.

I can’t view the TVSN channel anymore, what should I do?
You will need to purchase either a new TV or receiving device that is compatible with Mpeg 4. The cheapest choice is to purchase a new Mpeg 4 compatible STB (Set Top Box) which are priced around the $50 to $75 price range. The STB will then need to be connected to your current TV via a cable, preferably via the HDMI input.

Remember, that as well as now receiving TVSN, you will now also benefit from being able to view the many other new Mpeg 4 channels as mentioned above.

Do I have to Rescan or Retune my TV to continue viewing TVSN?
All TV’s and devices capable of receiving Mpeg 4 transmissions should automatically changeover to the new format. If you had to purchase a new Mpeg 4 compatible device, the turn-on installation will initiate an automatic scan of all channels.

6 Likes

now i don’t know if this can be discussed or not . but i think win should be worried . win tv ratings including the multi channels aren’t doing the best compared to channel 10 in the metro markets sometimes abc beats win tv . maybe if win didn’t have there solid water marks this could change … thoughts???

I’d like to think that the coloured blobs on WIN, One and Eleven are turning viewers away, though I’m not sure that ratings would improve if they made them more like TENs watermarks.

1 Like

The watermark is one of many facts, but I think part of it is the delivery of WIN programs and variations. WIN has dropped some shows for independently sourced programs without offering the dropped programs at an alternative time or on an alternative channel (such as midday to 3pm weekdays on 11 in metro areas varying from WIN regions).

Also consider inconsistency in programming and moving programs around such as Days Of Our Lives started at 1pm weekdays on 11 and Young And The Restless at 1:55pm, then WIN moved DOOL to 3:30pm weekdays on the main channel and Y&R to 1pm, only to revert to original arrangements a few weeks later.

Or the atrocious decision to air a 30 year old mini series on the main channel in prime time last November (Shaka Zulu) - something that probably should have either been on a secondary channel or in the early hours of the morning

Another issue I find is AAN is encored at 7:30am weekday mornings - I think if an encore was to air on the main channel, it should have been at 6am on the back of CBS This Morning. Now the new proposed SKY news progam (from 6am) in the morning could go either way as to whether or not it will attract viewers.

3 Likes

I’m sure WIN’s viewership will be thrown into chaos :joy:

There was a succession of ancient miniseries on Saturday night! WIN still has Bergerac and 'Allo 'Allo! on One on Saturday night.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sky News on WIN

Discussion about Sky News on WIN can be done in the new dedicated thread.

1 Like

TVSN is now in MPEG 4; Sky News is still MPEG 4.

Bit rates in Queensland.

8 WIN 2.86

80 WIN HD 4.56 MPEG 4

81 ONE 4.73

82 Eleven 4.20

83 Sky News 0.67 MPEG 4

84 TVSN 1.79 MPEG 4

85 Gold 0.92 MPEG 4

1 Like

Wonder why the bitrate is so high for ONE with Eleven not far behind? Seems strange when the main channel in SD is so low.

2 Likes

It’s can be a reflection of the program content on each channel e.g. Ultimate Fighter - fast action - was on ONE when the measurement was made. Theoretically viewers could watch WIN HD if possible. It is what many suggest all networks do i.e., encourage switching to MPEG 4 HD by providing poor quality SD on the main channel.

4 Likes

Didn’t think of it that way, interesting. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, good to see if that’s the case. Will probably reduce on the multi’s once SNOW launches

2 Likes

Considering how poor quality WIN’s SD channels are by default I’d be using the HD version wherever possible!

2 Likes

Bit rates tonight in Queensland.

8 WIN 3.49
80 WIN HD 5.22 MPEG 4
81 ONE 3.21
82 Eleven 4.67
83 Sky News 0.80 MPEG 4
84 TVSN 1.57 MPEG 4
85 Gold 1.34 MPEG 4

3 Likes

Maybe the bit rate for ONE and ELEVEN on WIN is the same as that of the corresponding channels in Network Ten broadcast areas, while the bitrate of WIN is downgraded during the process of taking Ten from the metro broadcaster.