Nine (WIN)

For reference, this is the very reasonable watermark WIN’s staff originally came up with before Bruce intervened. Taken from a capture in mid-2016:

6 Likes

Take your pick. WIN’s eyesores have had many endearing terms describing it over the years - shitstain, giant blue blob, coloured blob(s), shitstain blocks etc etc. I reckon it’s secretly loved by some still (besides Bruce of course). :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think this has been covered. It’s Dinosaur Bruce who calls all the shots and has the final say. I’m sure the staff would want the network to finally take the giant leap into the 21st century and not continually live in the 20th.

5 Likes

Some interesting stats from an ad on Mediaweek

3 Likes

Given that it says “TEN Affiliate Network” at the bottom I’m assuming they’re comparing the number of viewers on SC10 at 6pm-6:30pm last year v. number of viewers on WIN at 6pm-6:30pm this year.

In which case, there’s no surprise there’s been growth, given that WIN News is shown at 6pm now instead of Family Feud.

I actually thought it was interesting to see how few people across RQLD, SNSW, and RVIC are watching WIN News at 6pm - given that these places have a combined population of approx. 5 million (quick guess), the figures show only 4% of potential viewers are watching WIN News… that’s pretty sad given that 6pm is typically one of the busier TV viewing times.

1 Like

Why the fuck does the old fart owner of win want to own 15% of prime? He also owns 15% of Nine. I can’t understand how this bloke operates. He really does need to fuck right off.

7 Likes

perhaps to get his foot in the door with 7. After all, he has stepped on the toes of each affiliate partner he has had

1 Like

Yes exactly, it’s just the 30 mn window 18:00 - 18:30 weekdays, and such a dodgy comparison between SC Ten for the last 6 mo of their Ten affiliation with WIN Ten’s 1st 6 mo this year.

Plus in addition to (as correctly pointed out) WIN’s local news being added to the Ten affiliate, WIN may still have been benefiting slightly from confusion right after the affiliation swap (with WIN violating the LCN standard by keeping the Nine affiliate channel numbers; I was surprised at how long that seemed to trail on for normal people).

Obviously if the comparison were instead 2016-07-01 - 2016-12-31 vs 2017-01-01 - 2017-06-30, we’d see WIN’s rating drop, especially since 9News rolled out their regional bulletins.

Somehow I doubt WIN will publicise a similar comparison for the 2nd half of last year vs 2nd half of this year (or anything showing the 2nd half of this year), as it’ll be even worse.

3 Likes

Bruce Gordon’s Birketu was in the NSW Supreme Court yesterday morning taking on Westpac. Another hearing is scheduled for Thursday 5th October. I can’t find any information on what this relates to.

I always thought that term suited the brown tinged one that they used 5-6 years ago when they were with Nine.

The current blue one, less so, because of the colour and that it looks to be high resolution on the HD channel, so I think the term “blue blob” is better suited now.

1 Like

WIN NETWORK channel currently having some issues (with the encoder???)

It’s not bad signal, as it is the same on two different relays of WIN Townsville

6 Likes

Same in Tas. Maybe it’s an old recycled one and it’s on the blink lol

1 Like

I probably think it’s a channel for stress testing encoders and other equipment that’s on the brink of dying.

A blob - that’s what the kids at school used to call condoms!

Oh no. What am I going to do now?! That tune played is sooo catchy and I religiously watch the channel just to be informed of the wonderful channels they continue to offer their regional viewers in crystal clear quality. Oh wait… :thinking:

5 Likes

WIN’s (Central West) feed of the Supercar coverage is the wrong aspect ratio.

4 Likes

WIN Illawarra has got an aspect ratio issue on both SD and HD:
SD:

HD:

EDIT 12:27pm: Issues has been resolved

6 Likes

Took a while but it was fixed mid-program - the coverage was playing, then skipped back a few seconds and restarted with the correct aspect - so a few seconds were repeated.

12 Likes

“OH NO! There’s a Ten logo on screen, let’s cut to black!” :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

I wonder if they’d consider putting the watermark over the microphone.

5 Likes

I think that it would be handy. That way we wouldn’t have to put up with the mappy shit stain.

1 Like