Nine (WIN)

WIN will all but cease to be an entity come July 2022, WIN will merge with 9 or 9 will buy the regional affiliate, then the changes will start.

7 Likes

That’s all good and well, but how does that affect Northern NSW? Surely Ten wouldn’t be happy with Nine selling the advertising on their affiliate? Or perhaps they don’t really care as long as the money keeps rolling in.

Pushes the argument that SCA might re purchase NRN due to Nine’s ownership of NBN.

2 Likes

this isnt for this topic but, a SCA 7 deal and prime and 10…

1 Like

So this time next year (or in a couple of years from now), we might have pure Nine Network stations in most TV markets of Australia?

3 Likes

I think you’ll find the deal only applies for the Nine-affiliated stations (and possibly the solus markets due to their nature).

Nine has no association with NRN, I find it unlikely that they would be willing to take on advertising responsibility for it; WIN would likely either keep managing sales for NRN themselves, or even outsource to SCA.

4 Likes

so wonder if Win news keeps its name or gets a rebrand as well ?

No, “regional tv” is the equivalent of “metro tv” seen on the same picture. Looking too much into that.

1 Like

The original post was edited to include more information, I was replying to what it was originally.

1 Like

If it’s produced by Win, it’ll always be Win News.

1 Like

They definitely got a metion.

8 Likes

Again.

:point_down:t3:

1 Like

Ive said it before but will say it again, WIN Western NEWS (i keep thinking of tumbleweeds going across the set). needs more local content, over the past couple of days, stories from Bega dont really work in Central west, and please some local sport, tonight was opals and something else not worth mentioning. Do they still only have 1 journo in Orange and Wagga? to cover that large area taking in Griffith and Dubbo…? its not far off being a good bulletin.

1 Like

Gotta wonder why WIN has returned the bulletin when they’re only willing to do a half assed effort. Surely they’d be better off with updates instead (which aren’t even mandatory in Griffith).

Surely Prime7 must be still winning by a country mile (pardon the pun) in Wagga Wagga and Central West if its competition is mediocre.

The “reintroduction” of this bulletin was probably just used as a bit of a stalking horse to help justify cuts to services elsewhere. They’ve basically repacked content from other markets and called it a new bulletin. Would cost them much less than they saved in other markets.

3 Likes

Sounds like they might as well pipe in the Canberra bulletin. Just as relevant by the sounds of it.

Commitment to provide a news product to the viewers, it was cut initially as a way of hastening the push of legislative reform (people tend to not complain until it is too late), but that stunt failed, so it has returned, albeit with an expanded footprint hence the watered down product which is a semi-state bulletin.

ACT, Wollongong (these two would otherwise have been lumped with the SNSW bulletin) and Tasmania (probably just noodle updates, ratings have been bad down there for a long time) are lucky to still have their proper local bulletins, everything else is watered down regional - provided Nine don’t stick the knife in any further or the market doesn’t go too much further backwards.

1 Like

On top of that, what relevance does the GTV 6pm bulletin have in Tasmania? At state level there should be a main local, national, international composite bulletin like what ABC and Southern Cross provide. To make viewers sit across 90 minutes to get what ABC does in 30 minutes and Southern Cross in 60 minutes is too much. 7QLD has the right idea, running stand alone local news in 7 markets at 6pm followed by a cutdown 30 minute Brisbane bulletin at 6.30pm to 7.00pm and Prime does even better with it’s 6pm 30 minute local news followed by a Prime produced Prime7 30 minute news covering national and international at 6.30pm all in the space of 60 minutes.
No wonder Southern Cross 7 Tasmania with its composite state, national and international trounces WIN. Maybe Nine with its affiliation contract does not allow WIN to do that and restricts them only to the 5.30pm weekday 30 minute breakaway across the whole WIN network?

3 Likes

I’m not aware of any plans for NEC to buy WIN at this stage. Maybe in future but not at this stage. I predict the WIN news brand will stay for sometime yet.

I certainly hope so. I would be very very sad if the name WIN News and NBN News is gone forever replaced by the 9 news brand. It would be a extremely sad day for regional TV in Australia if that happens.

1 Like

meh-mediocre

14 Likes