Nine/Stan Rugby Union Coverage

1 Like

The fixture for Super Rugby Trans-Tasman tournament was confirmed today.

Every match of the competition will be streamed on Stan Sport, with the Saturday night match to be also shown live on 9Gem.

4 Likes

Coverage tonight being presented from the Nine News desk as I assume the NRL takes priority for the sports set.

But TBH it looks much better,

1 Like

Western Force will face the ACT Brumbies in the Super Rugby AU qualifying final in Canberra on Saturday week (May 1) after their upset win over the Queensland Reds. The winner of the qualifying final will play against the Reds in the grand final in Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium on May 8.
Both matches will be shown live on 9Gem and streamed on Stan Sport.

3 Likes

Caps?

1 Like

A lot of issues last night during Nine/Stan’s coverage of Australia’s Worst Sports Franchise™ vs the Rebels - apparently they couldn’t use some some angles, cameras were out of whack. We got garbled footage on the BankWest screens.

7 Likes

So the TV coverage was fine?

1 Like

I had my off-band radio tuned into 77.4 so I can listen to the refs and Nine/Stan commentary. They said they were having issues with the cameras and were restricted to the spider-cam and other high up shots.

2 Likes

Ah ok. Interesting. Does anyone have caps/a video?

1 Like

I had a glimpse at the match highlights on YouTube and the cameras seemed to be working fine.

1 Like

The commentator is shit. It sounds like he can barely talk, or he’s got heaps of spit in his mouth!

2 Likes

The figure for Saturday is here:

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/weekend-tv-ratings-saturday-april-24-2021/?s=09

The Foxtel audience must have been abominably low if Rugby is happy with the current ratings.

2 Likes

The rugby honchos must be impressed by people watching a car crash involving Australia’s Worst Sports Franchise™. :rofl:

6 Likes

Yeah, wasn’t 9Gem doing like huge 4-6% shares regularly on Saturday nights with usually Golden Age or modern iconic movies?

1 Like

Hard to squeeze advertising dollars out of those though. Cost base is lower but you can pretty much sell anything that is moving on sports coverage and get bang for your buck.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s true and not sure if all those would’ve rated in the key demos.

Obviously Super Rugby’s ratings would increase by virtue of a weekly game airing on FTA rather than pay TV.

The stat which would be interesting to find out is how have the Stan-exclusive games performed and whether the number of people watching is more or less than how SL games did on Foxtel

5 Likes

Not sure if Nine likes the idea of rugby union tests on Tuesday and Wednesday. The tests will be streamed live on Stan, and probably aired on 9Gem instead of the main channel should they be held during weeknights, and it will be interesting to see how much effort Nine will put in promoting the matches to its viewers.

3 Likes

State of origin rates alright