Nine/Stan Rugby Union Coverage

Not a fan of that weird 9 WWOS logo… it looks out of place in the start of the promo

3 Likes

While I can see why they did it (use of Stan’s trademark blue is a dead giveaway), it looks like a bad mock

3 Likes

It’s been confirmed that the season opener between Queensland Reds and NSW Waratahs will be shown live on 9Gem in Adelaide and Perth.

2 Likes

It depends on where you see that value. $20 for Rugby as well as all the TV shows and movies Stan offers, is good value to me.
I don’t see the value in spending $27.50 a month on tennis and soccer, everyone’s different

1 Like

I think the WWOS logo would look better if the 9 was flat rather than the 3D version.

5 Likes

i see where your coming from. for me, it comes down to content. Tennis TV covers all the WTA and Mens tour events live (only grandslams are not on there) - thats hundreds of matches a year. Optus sport covers the EPL - all 380 games.

super rugby aus has 22 games for the entire season. based on that, the value is not there

2 Likes

Yes the 22 games from Super Rugby AUS. Plus all the games from Super Rugby Aotearoa and Trans-Tasman, Super W, Rugby Championship, Bledisloe Cup, Shute Shield, Hospital Cup, Mitre 10 Cup and Currie Cup

2 Likes

Ah yes, these are what people sign up to watch…

I’ve signed up for the Mitre 10 Cup. There’s plenty of Saffas that’ll sign up for Currie Cup. And there was noise when Sydneysiders found out the Shute Shield was going behind a paywall.

There was one Shute Shield game on free-to-air but now all games will be on Stan. Is that correct?

That is correct. It means some Shute Shield games will get live coverage for the first time.

1 Like

Casual fans, no. Hardcore rugby fans, yes.

EG, personally for me, I wouldn’t pay for NBA League Pass because I know I can watch a bit of it on ESPN and get my fix, plus the big finals games are there. But some rugby fans (and as @Brownshoes pointed out, there’s a healthy lot of ex-pats) will want Stan for the whole package.

2 Likes
5 Likes

All good but no Northern Hemisphere Rugby

4 Likes

Give it time, they need to see if this works first before venturing off into other leagues.

2 Likes

They are leaning into the All Blacks quite a bit in the marketing. Presumably trying to catch the many kiwis living there with a love for rugby union.

6 Likes

Nine’s director of sport Brent Williams on its shared rugby union coverage with Stan (from Mediaweek):

Williams said that Nine’s Wide World of Sport, led by head of rugby Murray Shaw, will handle the TV production side of the product.

“We work in partnership with Stan Sport and it’s going great. They bring their expertise from a streaming point of view and we hopefully bring our expertise from a TV production point of view.

“We have a dedicated Rugby team inside the Wide World of Sport now including a team of producers and commentators. Anything that is produced locally will be produced by this Wide World of Sports team for Stan Sport.

“For the Saturday night matches, we are producing various feeds from the same match so that Stan Sport can offer commercial break free content with extended pre and post-match coverage.”

2 Likes

David Campese joins stan sports, they are doing a test live stream at the moment. Using the aca set.

5 Likes

Michael Cheika has signed up too.

4 Likes

Australian Rugby legends Michael Cheika & David Campese join Nine & Stan’s commentary team

Commentators-1024x576

Stan Sport, the new home of Rugby, and Nine today announced former Wallabies great David Campese and former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika are joining its stellar new Rugby commentary team.

Michael Cheika was the World Rugby Coach of the Year in 2015 and remains the only coach in Rugby to have claimed major provincial titles in both the northern and southern hemispheres, coaching Leinster to the Heineken Cup title in 2009 and the Waratahs to the Super Rugby title in 2014.

David Campese, renowned as one of the greatest players to ever play the game, starred in 101 Test matches for Australia, and redefined the way Rugby was played. He remains one of the most recognised players in the world.

Led by distinguished Rugby hosts and journalists Roz Kelly and Nick McArdle, Stan Sport’s new commentary lineup also features former Wallabies Tim Horan, Morgan Turinui, Drew Mitchell and Justin Harrison, in addition to All Blacks legend Andrew Mehrtens and former dual-code international star Allana Ferguson.

Experienced commentators Sean Maloney and Andrew Swain are also on board to call every kick, try and tackle from every heart-stopping match this year.

Campese and Cheika join the stacked commentary lineup as featured experts and will deliver unparalleled analysis and insight into the game – drawn from their years of experience playing and coaching at Rugby’s highest level.

David Campese said: “I’m really looking forward to getting back into live Rugby commentary and to passing on my knowledge and analysis to the informed and passionate Australian Rugby community. It’s the start of a new era with Stan Sport and I’m grateful to be part of it”

Michael Cheika said: “I am excited about how Australians will be watching Rugby as the game moves into a new era with Stan Sport and Nine. I’m eager to get started with the new Stan commentary team and to share my passion for Rugby with loyal fans and newcomers alike. We’ll be bringing greater coverage to the game, with deeper insight into every match – from Rugby’s grassroots soul all the way to the brilliance of the international level.”

Stan recently announced its add-on Sport package will be available for $10 a month and is the only place to watch every match. Consumers can enjoy Rugby ad-free, live and on demand and can pre-activate the Sport package now to get a 30-day free trial for a limited time only. The 30-day free trial will start when Stan Sport launches. Pre-activating is as simple as visiting: Stan.com.au/sport

1 Like