Nine/Stan Rugby Union Coverage

Casual viewers will change the channel when Rugby comes on. If they tried airing Super Rugby on the main channel in Melbourne they may be looking at sub 5% shares (most likely behind the movie on 9GO)

5 Likes

Reckon Nine is taking a softly softly approach. Build it on multis and then they can look to put it on the main channel in years to come.

No point putting a competition that has never been live on FTA before and then having to drop it to multichannel after a few weeks because it’s rating poorly.

6 Likes

Saturday NRL would be main channel outside of AFL states anyway.

I will never understand why Nine have given up on Saturdays.

3 Likes

Daryl is still holding out for another Hey Hey revival?

2 Likes

will open the Netflix or Disney app.

1 Like

Obviously, you wouldn’t put anything bar Wallabies matches on the main channel in AFL states. The point is in the same way (mostly) only netball fans will seek out the free games Kayo will offer when the Foxtel deal begins next year, putting ‘2nd tier’ competitions like Super Rugby on a multichannel means (mostly) only rugby fans will seek it out.

5 Likes

Who would watch Super Rugby if they were not interested in it just because it was on the main Nine channel?

2 Likes

Gem is a part of Nine? No way!!! When did this happen? Today?

Jokes aside… I think all of us are happy that its on fta, which i have said in a previously.

1 Like

To make all you happy, Nine should make a dedicated sports channel! 9 Sports on channel 98 lol.

3 Likes

Nar people won’t find it, it’s not on the main channel…

2 Likes

Wonder what’s going to happen in Melbourne where they show the NRL on Gem normally? Maybe Go or Rush for Super Rugby?

1 Like

Will there be two separate hosts for WWOS and Stan Sports for the coverage on 9GEM?

1 Like

I assume the model will be similar to the Nine/Telstra TV one for the netball

2 Likes

Apart from the season opener which is on Friday February 19, the FTA matches are on Saturdays, so it will not clash with live NRL on 9Gem in Melbourne.

6 Likes

Clever

1 Like

According to advance guide, the Super Rugby season opener on February 19 will be shown live on 9Gem in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. Not sure about Adelaide or Perth.

2 Likes

Nine stated the games would be “live on 9Gem”. I would be very surprised if they were not live nationwide.

2 Likes
1 Like

would i pay $20 a month for rugby? nope. (and as i do not have stan i do not look at this as an additional $10 a month - it’s $20)

I already pay for foxtel, and on top of that $15 for optus sport and $150 per year for tennis TV. you need to give me value for me to shell out above and beyond what i pay for the above.

I am prime market for it as well - I am a reds member and go and see the wallabies when they play in south east Qld as well.

4 Likes

Promo for the upcoming season aired in Brisbane tonight.

4 Likes