Nine (Southern Cross)

9news Western victoria begins March 6th

3 Likes

On holidays to the NSW South Coast (Merimbula) :grinning:

Staying overnight in Lakes Entrance (Gippsland, VIC).

LCN 5 is incorrect, showing ā€œSC10 Traralgonā€ still. Despite the ā€œ9ā€ watermark?

I daresay that the TV wherever youā€™re staying hasnā€™t been rescanned in a while!

7 Likes

Yeah, I still see peopleā€™s TVs with LCN names and numbers in the wrong spot even now.
The whole ā€œno need to rescan your TVsā€ that was advertised in July was a terrible idea.

2 Likes

Some TVs automatically do it, but (as Iā€™ve said before) the cause of the problem is WIN: They refused to do the right thing by viewers & swap LCNs with SCA; the result is in conflict with the documented standard (8x LCNs were reserved for the Nine affiliate, 5x for the Ten affilitate).

3 Likes

I thought this was the case, but I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen a single un-rescanned TV that has the LCNs/Names 100% correct.

Iā€™ve seen some TVs prompt for a rescan (press OK to continue) and after that theyā€™re fine, others have said theirs automatically rescan, but of course Iā€™ve come across ones that donā€™t (and my 8-year old series 7 Samsung LCD definitely doesnā€™t; it didnā€™t even prompt).

Ideally, the SCA Nine family of channels would just use the 9x range of LCNs except in regions (Wollongong, Sunshine Coast, etc.) where overlap with the metro signals is possible.

But yeah, I think whether or not your TV will automatically pick up new channels and LCN changes depends on how old your set is and what brand it is, etc.

2 Likes

The Panasonic Plasma here didnā€™t even prompt when ABCHD was added.

SCA wanted to do that, but I think Free TV Australia blocked them???

That would have made no difference to the need for a re-scan - there would then be plenty of TVs that had WIN on LCN 8 and Southern Cross on LCN 5.

OK, so until a rescan the LCNs-to-frequency mapping wouldnā€™t be updated. Of course.
(But after a rescan it wouldā€™ve been less confusing for viewers that programmes wouldā€™ve been on the same LCNs as they were the prior to the affiliation changes.)

Apparently SCA decided against using the 9x numbering for most of their broadcast areas because then theyā€™d have to encourage rescans, trying to use 9x in overlap areas would cause problems so theyā€™d have to stick with 5x there anyway, and they couldnā€™t use the Channel 9 On 5 advertising for their entire broadcast areas.

thought it was win tv that blocked them

So did Iā€¦

But yes a rescan wouldnā€™t hurt. Pulled out an STB recently that had 84 listed as LIFE which is now TVSN, and 54, well, nothing being broadcast on 54ā€¦

Itā€™d be interesting if Nine made one set of promos nationwideā€¦

ā€œTonight on 9GEM (Channel 92 in metro, Channel 90 in remote areas, Channel 82 in NNSW, Channel 52 in SNSW, Regional QLD, Regional VIC, Regional TAS and in Crystal Clear High Definition on Channel 50 in Griffith/MIA, Regional SA and Regional WA)ā€

:scream:

2 Likes

Southern Cross Nine is turning 55. It would be a nice touch if it were recognised on air. If not in a news special, as the metropolians pump out at the drop of a hat, at least a few postcards or a birthday ident!

BCV Bendigo, GLV Traralgon turned 55 last December while CTC Canberra and TNQ Townsville will be turning 55 in June and November respectively.

BCV did a decent 35 year anniversary special in 1997 - three years after Southern Cross cancelled local production. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6wDBd1m90

1 Like

Did they do something for the 50th anniversary?

1 Like

From memory, Southern Cross Ten (as it was at the time) didnā€™t do much more than a special watermark to celebrate 50 Years of TV in Canberra around mid-2012.

1 Like

Iā€™m hopeful of more this time around, but who knows. Steve Liebmann was working at CTC in Canberra when it first went to air, it would be great if he were part of a news special or a series of ā€˜memory laneā€™ postcards.

1 Like

The Way SC Nine is run basically by robots and essentially all by Nine in Sydney with SCA basically doing shit all - Iā€™d be surprised ion anyone even knew it was their 55th anniversary in some markets.

Iā€™d be shocked to see them make the effort to acknowledge it in anyway

But yes - a few 5 second IDs, a story on the local news and a bug would be nice,.

1 Like

Hereā€™s an EXCLUSIVE look at their transmitters :stuck_out_tongue:
Itā€™s just a repeater repeating the main signal :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

SCA using new Cyclone Alert SEWS graphics since the change over to Nine.

Just saw the alert on TV here in Townsville.

Will try and record.

2 Likes