Nine (Southern Cross)

You seem to forget that regionally the Ten logo and branding was used for many years up until 2004. There was no takeover talk back then.

It makes commercial sense to capitalise on a metro network’s branding as it covers all print media, on air promotions and the familiarity of the brand.

6 Likes

No not really. Just meant if we were still with WIN then you would not see any at all. There was a brief period in the early 2000’s where WIN would switched to ch 9 feed after midnight and they showed promos and opener indent’s but it only lasted a week then back to normal.
SC Nine just feels like your receiving the metro feed which is weird after years of WIN :grinning:

3 Likes

This. Can’t understand the logic/conspiracy theories surrounding a potential nine buyout when the same affiliate was more then happy to run Ten affiliates without additional branding (unless you count the regions name is branding) for so many years.

The decision to change to separate SC Ten branding (which wasn’t effective anyway as they barely used it and almost never used it on air!) was probably made by totally different management.

I’ve read a few times - and I can’t understand what you are trying to say here?

Would you mind clarifying?

In the past advertising has been sold on a 5 city basis. For example if you are Telstra or Ford - you buy ads for “national” coverage which has really just been the Top 5 markets (SYD, MEL, BNE, PER, ADL) or 65% of the nation.

Increasingly form what I know national companies like Mcdonald’s, Telstra, Holden, Woolworths now by “national” advertising across not only the top 5 markets but also the “regional” markets such as NNSW, QLD, SNSW and VIC in particular. Adding those markets to the Top 5 gets an advertiser about 95% reach - which is pretty national.

Having one brand “you are buying The Block nationally on Channel 9” is helpful - and I think advertisers know (but don’t care) that Channel 9 Perth is owned by NEC (Nine Entertainment Company) but Channel 9 Queensland is owned by Southern Cross Austero. SCA is still a huge media company that these national brands buy time on their radio networks.

Also, not al advertisers want to buy national advertising. For example IKEA only has stores in the top 5 markets - so they would buy just the top 5. Likewise perhaps David Jones etc. It does not make sense for them too buy national advertising as they would be paying lot for markets in which they do not operate.

3 Likes

That is precisely what is happening. SC9 is a complete simulcast of the metro feed, including promos, etc. The only difference is the ads (not including 9 promos) and the “local news headlines”, everything else is a complete carbon copy.

5 Likes

If your branding the stations on-air as Nine (regardless of whether they take Nine’s branding package or they develop their own) it makes sense to brand your physical presence the same - it was no different under the Ten affiliate deal.

You make a massive assumption that advertisers have no idea whats going on and that Nine/SCA are selling ads as ‘national coverage’ beyond what that may have been considered prior.

This assumes that having a truely national network is more profitable than having affiliate agreements - I cant imagine that running a regional network the size of SCA’s Nine affiliate is cheap and this will have a significant impact on profitability

That might happen, but I cant see anything in what you’ve mused that suggests that its likely to force this

2 Likes

The 9On5 Facebook page name has being changed to WIN Television and handle changed to @WINNetwork

The Facebook page still exists. https://www.facebook.com/nineon5/ and the website is still active. http://www.nineon5.com.au/ Twitter is also still active https://twitter.com/nineon5

Why would SCA do that??? It was their campaign, what’s it got to do with WIN.

2 Likes

Correction: it looks like there either a copy account or a mock account because all of the images are the same and it looks like there are some official replies.

Looks like SCA is back to their old tricks of custom making unnecessary Nine promos.

A promo just aired on SC9 for “Unreal Estate”.
I’m confident it was an SCA produced promo as the 9 logo in the corner was massive compared to a normal 9 promo, and there was no voiceover in the promo at all.

4 Likes

I pushed record after the ad had started, but I’ll upload the part I got ASAP.

In the mean time, here are some quick caps.

2 Likes

IKEA could advertise in regional markets in particular those which adjoin the metro markets, many small-to-medium businesses in suburban Melbourne often advertise on SC (when it was a Ten affiliate, I’m sure this still happens in its current form as a Nine affiliate) in various regional Victorian markets eg. Car City, Melbourne’s cheapest cars, Opera Home Furniture, Harrison Ford Melton, various city hotels etc. so that (1) ad space is cheaper on the neighbouring regional market than it is on a metro network and (2) to attract additional country clientele.

I’ve noticed it has happened on SCA’s radio stations.

In WA for example, Harvey Norman has advertised its Perth stores on Radio West.

2 Likes

Yep, definitely custom-made. That’s been airing for the last week or so. I’ve also seen one for Millionaire Hot Seat (this also has no VO which is the clear giveaway it’s SCA’s).

Beats me why they bother. So unnecessary to be honest.

1 Like

There’s an IKEA in Canberra, and they run ads there too. But I see your point.

Whoops!

Just watching SC9.

The Nine Breaking News opener started, and then SCA cut it off to show an ad break.
About 40 seconds later, the feed swapped back to the breaking news mid-ad.

Didn’t cap it as I was recording 7 at the time.

EDIT: Breaking news still airing on SC9 now, but the HD watermark bug has just appeared over the top of the 9 News super.

No HD watermark on SC9 this afternoon or tonight so far.

Pretty soon they’ll be calling the time Nine was on WIN “the good old days”.

1 Like

HD on the Nine watermark here in Regional Victoria now.