Nine (Southern Cross)

I would definitely tend to agree. TEN’s line up (especially the Bachelor/Bachelorette) would definitely rate poorly in the regional areas from what I’ve seen. Not sure of any official figures, but most people in Townsville and around Central QLD (where I have family and frequently travel) don’t watch TEN programs.

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:37, topic:1198”]surely WIN wouldn’t be pleased to lose the rights to air the NRL and the Summer of Cricket in favour of Ten’s not-so star studded sporting catalogue?
[/quote]
Yeah, I don’t think WIN really thought through just how much they would lose by annoying Nine, and it’s really come to bite them.
The NRL and Cricket going to SCA are a big downfall for WIN, but a massive win for SCA.

I’m looking forward to being able to watch them on SCA without a damn WIN cover-up logo.

4 Likes

On another note. I know it’s probably not possible, but what are the chances of Nine and SCA somehow being able to get SCA to use the LCN 9’s range?
It would make sense to change from LCN 8 to LCN 9 when the channel “NINE” is introduced.

I know that Imparja use the LCN 9 range for their broadcasts, and I know that the Nine affiliate is meant to use the LCN 8 range.
But it would be easier for SCA to use the LCN 9 range, as they’d be able to directly copy Nine’s promos saying “9Gem on Channel 92”.

1 Like

I think that SCA would most likely use the 8 range of LCNs.

Even if they were allowed to use the 9 range of LCNs, I think that the 8 range of LCNs would most likely continue to be used in markets adjacent to the capital cities like Wollongong and the Sunshine Coast.

I have heaps but I can’t post them. But let’s just say SC Ten’s SUITE of channels sometimes rates 12-15 and usually gravitate around there.

They could follow the 7QLD model and have LCN 9 in all markets away from the capitals, and LCN 8 for the nearby markets of Toowoomba, Sunshine Coast and Woollongong.

I agree, they probably will choose to use the LCN 8 range.
But it would be a nice difference when SCA take over from what we are used to with WIN.
Especially with the channel changing name to NINE, it would be awesome if they could have LCN 9 with the new NINE, instead of LCN 8.

1 Like

So if SCA use LCNs starting with 9, at the same time WIN could use LCNs starting with 1 to match Ten.

That would be ideal!
I’ve read the ACMA report on LCN numbers and it seems that they’re allowed to use the same LCNs as the metros if they want to.
So it is possible that SCA could use 9 and WIN could use 1 if they wanted to.

So what you are saying then…without posting specific source of this report…is there would be no requirement to swap LCNs either.

I wonder what this news means for everyone’s favourite show, Brumbies TV, 7pm Thursdays on SC One (Sthn NSW)?!?

6 Likes

guess we’ll get programs that was only shown in the metro area when win had different programming

Given there is an overlap between ABC and SBS regardless, and between the different variations of regional transmitters, it only matters in the direct overlap areas.

A transition would be a lot another if they weren’t doing a swap between 5 and 8.

That said, the outcome could equally be Win stays on 8 as a Ten affiliate and SC stay on 5 or go to 9.

1 Like

Probably dumped on 9Gem at 10:30.

Another thought here, as someone in Tasmania who will still keep WIN as the 9 affiliate at this stage. If WIN do decide to ditch their own branding and use Ten branding in the new agreement, could they then decide to ditch the WIN branding in the remaining 9 areas and just switch to a 9 look? I’d be assuming there’s going to be less staff and with less of a region being covered, they might just decide it’s not worth the effort.

1 Like

At this stage, we have no idea what WIN will be doing. They may decide to stick a knife in the side of Nine and refuse to show any Nine programming on any WIN channels in Tasmania, SA and WA. Until we get some sort of media release from WIN and/or Network TEN we won’t know. Bruce has said before that he could program his own network for example.

1 Like

I thought it was specifically for ONE. Considering they are the FTA broadcaster of Super Rugby. I still think it will remain on ONE

The legislation outlines it as a matter for the industry, per the BSA section 130K.

Said industry agreement would be - http://www.freetv.com.au/media/Engineering/Free_TV_OP_41_LCN_Descriptor_Issue_7_February_2013.pdf

As it’s an industry regulation thing, that means as long as the ‘industry’ agrees, they can do whatever. But in the current form it has the Nine affiliates on 8 and Ten affiliates on 5. Also note the special case with remote broadcasters - which is why Imparja is on 9 and not 8.

1 Like

Does the LCN really matter apart for being a bit confusing when a city person moves to the country and does not know what channel is what. Yep just answered my own question they should have the same LCNs SBS and ABC do it so why not commercial channels?

I guess SC could switch to 9 then… Or alternatively stay using 5. Or even go with 9 in areas with no overlap as per the document.

Thanks @Moe for the link.

At this stage, we have no idea what WIN will be doing. They may decide to stick a knife in the side of Nine and refuse to show any Nine programming on any WIN channels in Tasmania, SA and WA. Until we get some sort of media release from WIN and/or Network TEN we won’t know. Bruce has said before that he could program his own network for example.
]
We all know Bruce can’t program WIN for 24/7

Hell, Nine and Ten barely have enough access to good content to fill a bunch of black holes they have.

What content is avail that is not already stitched up?

If WIN decides to start dumping Nine programming, (that they have in effect already paid for) they will have additional programming costs, and their own ratings will fall and their own revenue will fall

I think they will start to do some odd things, but they won’t drop key primetime programming.

What are Prime/7s ratings out of interest?