Nine (Southern Cross)

That would require Southern Cross (or the Brumbies, if it’s produced in house) to on-sell to WIN.

Let me start this reply with an earlier quote of mine…[quote=“AlanCramer, post:54, topic:1198”]
At this stage, we have no idea what WIN will be doing.
[/quote]
Anything I said above is no different to anything you or anyone else on this forum have said about WIN. Nothing has been said by them.

What we know right now is WIN have not signed a thing beyond 30 June for ANY of their stations. So Bruce effectively hasn’t paid for access beyond that date. You can’t assume they will just keep nine programming in other areas.

[quote=“KICK-IT, post:59, topic:1198”]
What content is avail that is not already stitched up?
[/quote]There is plenty of content available. There are older programs. via major US networks. There is content via Netflix type outlets (show series of shows not current on Netflix for example). Scripps will have a fair few channels worth of library to hoard that isn’t being used by 9life or Food Network. Plus there is content outside the US too such as UK channels. Win could get Crawford’s back into production or produce their own local content.

1000 scenarios. But until WIN state what their plans for ALL their stations beyond June 30… we are all just assuming things.

2 Likes

Hmmmmm

Could you list specifically the desirable content that is avail - US or UK That is not already owned by the 16 FTA channels, 100 Foxtel channels, Netflix, Stan, and Presto?

And WIN produce original content? What - commission original reality, drama, comedy and game shows for Wollongong, My Isa and Wagga? OK.

RegionalTAM doesn’t allow us to post ratings - it’s okay to link to them so that other members can go and find that information, but posts that include figures will be removed.

1 Like

Why does it matter if it is currently owned or licensed? Content could be sublicensed from anywhere (including Foxtel, Presto, etc) and WIN may choose to cherry pick. BUT UNTIL WIN STATE WHAT THEY ARE DOING IT’S ALL SPECULATION.

1 Like

I would almost bet my life savings WIN will carry ten.

1 Like

If WIN continue there local news services and did a deal with TEN do you think it would rate much lower or be around the same ratings as now?

To go back to a 1990s ratings theory - the 6:00 PM news is the centre of the ratings for the channel - growth occurs from there.

Personally - I think Win’s local news service should result in the new Win ‘Ten Affiliates’ receiving a higher share than what the existing Southern Cross Ten channels are receiving.

Its all about eyeballs - people tune in to watch the local news, some fiddle with the remote - some leave the channel where it is…

1 Like

All pretty good for secondary channel fodder… not really fit for a primary channel in a competitive environment. Plus WIN just doesn’t have the infrastructure for any significant production. WIN will also still have to comply with relevant local content quotas e.g. Australian content, drama, children’s, etc. They’ve really little option but to align with Ten.

4 Likes

Unless Bruce is willing to invest tens of millions in content, I completely agree that WIN will have mostly no option but to align with Ten. They’re the only network (with SCA having Nine and Seven more than likely being safe at their current outlets) that can provide them with the content that will allow them to comply with relevant content quotas such as Australian content, drama, children’s programing, news, etc.

And generally, surely Ten would still want their programing lineup to be accessable on terrestrial TV in the key regional markets of Queensland, Southern NSW/ACT and Victoria?

2 Likes

Exactly. Ten needs WIN as much as WIN needs Ten.

3 Likes

WIN basically need to pretend that they could program their own network as leverage against Ten. If they can make it look like they don’t need Ten - they can make it so that Ten can’t demand as much from WIN. Ten sure aren’t in the position to lose any revenue - so they would need at least what SC’s previous agreement was.

I’ve long pondered the idea that WIN could see itself as a channel in its own right - and filling a schedule and then doing a two way affiliation with Ten - so that a “WIN” channel of their own programming would be on Ten’s multiplex in metro areas and Ten’s programming would go on WIN’s one - in return for WIN paying Ten less of a revenue share.

Doing the work on setting up such a channel would also be enough to make it look like they were serious about being able to be an independent channel.

4 Likes

Th best outcome for regional viewers from a Ten-WIN affiliation would be a deal that was not too expensive for WIN so they can maintain their local bulletins and one where they are part of any expansion of TEN Play that leads to streaming of all Ten’s channels. It would also be good if they rejoined Freeview.

4 Likes

What about WIN’s joint ventures with Prime like Ten West and Ten Mildura which are Ten affiliates? Would they do a swap to a 9 affiliation?

Why would they?

Very hard to say.

Win apparently have NO affiliation agreement with Nine beyond 1st July 2016 - therefore you would assume that the expiring agreement also includes such stations as Win West, Win Mildura and Win Tasmania.

Therefore I would imagine any ‘new’ affiliation or programming lineup applicable to Win SNSW/VIC/QLD would also apply to the previous Nine affiliates.

The current Ten affiliate (joint ventures) - Ten West and Mildura (with Prime Media) and Ten Tasmania (with SCA)… (just to name a few) would likely switch their output to Nine. EDIT (Also, think in dollar terms - 50% revenue share - WIN does not like that)

Remember - although Nine is the higher rating station - you would assume that Win would want their primary channels all in alignment, think long term solution.

We don’t know any of that.

Nine’s change from WIN to SCA has only been reported in the context of QLD, SNSW/ACT and VIC. Nothing has been made known about other states. And WIN has yet to make any statement about these or the other markets.

3 Likes

Exactly my point - all is hypothetical until some detail comes to light regarding the status of Win’s affiliation agreements and future plans.

Although in the interim - it would appear reasonably safe to assume that Win’s affiliation agreement with Nine (as a whole) is due to expire at the end of June.

I would not assume that. WIN could still hang on to Nine in WA and Mildura which isn’t covered by SCA; and Tasmania where SCA appears to be hanging on to Seven.

3 Likes

Finally someone (@antzzz) with common sense around here.

Exactly. Nine didn’t announce anything related to WIN so their agreement comes to an end June 30. That’s why I have kept saying that until something is announced from the WIN camp, everything is speculation. I know if I was running a television business…I’d want it consistent across my network to keep costs down.