Nine (Southern Cross)

I’m not sure that SCA could be a sales agent for 9 in Northern NSW and operate 10, That to me is a conflict of interest and whether it’s legal or not is another matter.

I think SCA may have to sell NRN to WIN and not have a station in Northern NSW.

It would probably be legal, but I see the point of conflict of interest. If for example, there was a more favourable affiliation deal with one network over the other (smaller percentage of advertising revenue) you would think that would influence the sales.

Yes, and that SCA would probably only get a commission from a sale on NBN/Nine, but 100% of the revenue from a sale on SC Ten.

From what I understand there are no legal issues with SCA owning Ten and running sales for 9NBN. Southern Cross run affiliation agreements with all three networks in areas of Australia so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I guess it’s safe to assume now that Nine will hurry it up a bit with NBN and have that consistent Nine brand from July 1 across all areas. They have recently dropped NBN from the football liners at half-time - i.e. “you’re watching Sunday Football on the Nine, WIN and NBN networks” (poor Imparja - they used to get a look-in)

SCA have VJs out and about in most areas and I wouldn’t be surprised if Nine deploys some younger journos out to regional areas for the first year or so to get a news brand out and about - maybe statewide 5.30pm local news bulletins at the start, slowly moving to regional area local news?

WIN - well… who cares really. Brought it on themselves.

The interesting thing is in Newcastle and especially the news on KOFM.

SCA - owns SC Ten. Runs 9NBN Sales. KOFM News brought to you by “Seven News, 6pm tonight on Prime7” - talk about having all your eggs in the one basket :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

4 Likes

SC has no VJs or journos in QLD, SNSW or VIC from what I know.

The areas this new deal covers

Nine recently opened their Springfield bureau, so if they base a few journos and presenters there, it could be an ideal location to do some Nine Local News’. I believe QTQ still present their local Morning News there on Wednesdays.

I was of the belief that in their regional radio markets they did. They do multimedia etc for the radio stations.

Their Springfield bureau is unmanned, except for a couple of uni students who man the cameras when a crew travels from the main studios for the odd morning news bulletin.

There are no permanent staff there, and it’d be a very difficult place to base local news from because of the infrastructure required.

Not saying it’s impossible, just highly unlikely.

1 Like

Now this is easier to understand. However, since Griffith lies within southern NSW, shouldn’t it be covered by the new affiliate agreement too?

[quote=“JohnsonTV, post:29, topic:1198, full:true”]
Now this is easier to understand. However, since Griffith lies within southern NSW, shouldn’t it be covered by the new affiliate agreement too?
[/quote]Griffith is its own license area with no licenses owned by SCA, the same as Mildura. Therefore there’s nothing SCA can offer in these areas.

1 Like

With SCA previously stating they want to focus on radio, I can see a couple of things potentially taking place…

Northern NSW license as previously been mentioned being sold to Network Ten or WIN.

Darwin license to be sold to Seven or Prime

Once reach laws have been dissolved, SCA getting out of television by selling all licenses to Nine. While nine have said they are not interested in acquiring a regional Television business, it wouldn’t stop them from acquiring they licenses only and running those businesses from existing playout.

Is playout still going to be from SC or is the playout going to be from Nine for this new agreement anyway?

That’s probably a real possibility now.

I doubt we’ll see Nine themselves putting any effort in to produce local bulletins in regional markets. That would be SCA’s responsibility?
The only reason Nine would contemplate doing it, would be if they had plans to merge with SCA in the not too distance future.

I’m looking forward to seeing the local SCA run radio stations (we have 3 main ones in Townsville) promoting Nine programming.
They currently heavily promote SC10 programming every day on their radio stations. So it’ll be different when they are suddenly promoting Nine.

1 Like

Meanwhile, if WIN maintains ownership of i98 in Wollongong after the affiliation swap, I would imagine that there would be a lot of promos for Ten programming on the radio station (like how it is currently with Nine programming), based on the strong assumption that WIN will affiliate with Ten from July 1.

1 Like

I know it hasn’t been announced yet, but assuming WIN take Ten’s metro feed to regional VIC, QLD & S NSW…

Won’t that be a good thing?

WIN have always been a massive/popular regional network, especially with local news, etc.

It also means WIN will probably get the MasterChef Grand Final + whole series of The Bachelor & The Bachelorette (from July >)? (i.e.) top rating

Half the reason they’ve always rated well is because Nine’s programming tends to rate well though.

5 Likes

Yes, it will be interesting to see how quickly WIN’s ratings flip.

This is a thoroughly historic moment inn Australian regional history. End of a decades-long agreement.

1 Like

I completely agree. I’m sure that WIN’s primetime ratings will completely tumble after the switch!

While WIN would gain programs like MasterChef and The Bachelor/The Bachelorette (although TBH, those dating shows probably rate even worse in regional areas that they do in the cities) under a Network Ten affiliation, they would lose a lot more rating topping programs from Nine.

Really, while Nine’s glory days in the ratings are long gone they’re (usually) still ahead of Ten in the ratings both in metropolitan and regional markets the last I checked. Also, surely WIN wouldn’t be pleased to lose the rights to air the NRL and the Summer of Cricket in favour of Ten’s not-so star studded sporting catalogue?

1 Like

WIN certainly won’t realise how good they had it until Nine’s signal is no longer there.

6 Likes

I feel really sad for the staff, Bruce has mostly brought this on him self.

1 Like

You especially have to feel for WIN News presenters, reporters and crew who are probably facing a very uncertain future right now…

2 Likes