Nine (Southern Cross)

I’m guessing SC will be merge with Nine in the next couple of years.

NRTV operated local news for the ‘Port to Southport’ region as they called it. Upon aggregation, an aggregated market news service was tried but later returned to its original coverage area before TAL axed it along with their services in their other markets.

3 Likes

Ten axed their NSW North Coast bulletin in mid 1995.

Ten Capital axed their Canberra bulletin in 2001, and I think Ten in Nth Qld axed theirs around then as well.

I think Ten Victoria was the first to axe theirs… 1993 I think?

4 Likes

SCN in Victoria presented its last local news bulletin in May 1994, the night before changing its ID to Ten Victoria.

1 Like

Southern Cross axed it once they took ownership of Ten Capital in 2001.

3 Likes

Reading the Win thread, everyone is assuming things. So far we don’t know what the local news product will be like on Southern Cross Nine and we also don’t know who is producing it. For all we know, nine themselves could be putting the package together and pushing it out to SCA for rebroadcast in those areas.

3 Likes

But we here at Media Spy love to speculate lol. Some more than others, I just love reading everybody’s ideas on it - some may even prove factual in the long run, and I think that’s great

2 Likes

All this talk and I’d just like to know what’s happening in Tas! Too many conflicting statements and the posts put on the WIN News Tasmania thread don’t get a response.

1 Like

They will be keeping this tighter than a fat persons undies, as they won’t want their competition to get a jump on what is gonna happen.

3 Likes

I thought it was common knowledge that that was happening?

No one has confirmed if WIN Tasmania will stay a Nine affil or swap to Ten

With @ando9185’s statement, around specifics for WIN News replying to questions via Facebook. I don’t think they are going to say anything until the day of the switch.

I was referring to Nine producing SCA’s Nine News - I thought Nine has already said they’d be producing the regional coverage?

1 Like

@MarkHD - nope - all speculation.

SCA has said it will air composite bulletins with local, state, national and international news - and will roll thee out as quickly as they are able to set them up. But they have not said if it will be windows in existing 9 news, if it will be NBN style or if they will do it all out of Canberra. All we know is there will be composite bulletins with local news coverage on SCA stations in QLD, SNSW/ACT and VIC

1 Like

November 21st, 2001 was when the North QLD bulletin was axed, Canberra was the same time I believe. Southern Cross cited the cost of digital television upgrades and closed captioning were to blame.

Below videos include snippets of the final bulletin and how WIN Townsville covered the story at the time.

9 Likes

Hard to believe it’s been nearly 15 years since the axing(s) of those regional news bulletins! I wonder if SCA still have those North Queensland studios (well, any studios other than Canberra really) or if they’ve since been sold off?

Realistically though, I think that any full local news services from SCA under a Nine Network affiliation are likely to all be produced in Canberra. Afterall, even the likes of WIN and Prime have pretty much centralised the production/presentation of their local news services to one or two central hubs in recent years. It’s sad, but that’s just the way things are these days I suppose…

2 Likes

Pretty sure the former TNQ studios in Townsville and (ex-FNQ10) Cairns are now no longer.

2 Likes

and the former BCV-8 studios in Bendigo are now SCA’s “Bendigo Media Centre” housing radio stations 3BO and Star FM, and the television portion is now restricted to a sales office servicing local clients. The towers originally designed to link the studios with the transmitter at Mount Alexander are still there.

The old GLV studios in Traralgon were leased out ages ago but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s now been bulldozed.

EDIT: Actually after some Googling I think the building is still standing, on the corner of Princes Hwy and Coonoc Road Traralgon, the site now being used by radio stations TRFM and Gold 1242.

[quote=“TelevisionAU, post:283, topic:1198, full:true”]

Episode of GLV-8’s morning programme “Gippsland Today” featuring a tour of the studios on Coonoc Road, Traralgon.

2 Likes