Nine (Southern Cross)

All that promo is really missing is this (black background and white text, of course) at the end:

“Written and Authorised by Seven Queensland, Maroochydore” :wink:

11 Likes

Television GOLD!

It all makes sense now - Nine did a deal with Southern Cross to resolve a looming ‘hung network affiliation’ situation caused by the WIN agreement ending. Now the battle is between Seven’s “strong, stable and secure” leadership & the Nine/SC coalition who have outlined “100 positive shows” which they hope will sway the hearts and minds of ‘swinging viewers’ come July 1st

1 Like

What a bizarre promo

5 Likes

Seems very childish actually. Not very professional to bag your competitors.

2 Likes

It’s an affiliation swap, not the nightly news battle

And essentially, what do viewers care about network politics? As long as they have access to the same shows as before I imagine they care very little.

1 Like

For advertisers more I reckon, had a chuckle at how bad it was ahaha. Sounds like a Liberal ad

2 Likes

As per original post by TV.Cynic in the Nine News Content thread.

The Courier Mail in QLD is reporting that:

[quote]As Seven work on the Gold Coast, Nine are rumoured to be looking to grow their presence in regional Queensland.
Confidential hears Queensland director of news Mike Dalton is trying to poach reporters to be based outside of Brisbane.
The deal came after Nine ended a longstanding partnership with WIN and swapping to Southern Cross.
[/quote]

Interesting to hear that Nine are looking to grow their regional QLD presence, given that we’ve heard that SCA want to launch a regional news bulletin.

1 Like

Unless Nine is producing SCA’s news bulletins. Start the conspiracy theories :grin:

5 Likes

I’d say it’s more 9 won’t have as much access to vision in the major Qld centres anymore.
Without knowing their stringer situation, they’re probably looking for potential VJs to cover Cairns/TSV/Rocky/SC. effectively 1-2 person bureaus filing/getting grabs for the Brisbane newsroom.

1 Like

If Southern Cross eventually get some improved local news up an running, will that be just in the areas where affiliation is changing?

What do they plan for NNSW for example. Will that need a separate make-over with a different regional news to the rest of the network with a different opener, graphics and even schedule, or will they put something up in direct competition with NBN?

1 Like

Most likely.

Southern Cross will do nothing. I doubt there’ll be any change to SC Ten in NNSW. If they did put something up against NBN News I’d say good luck!

1 Like

When was the last time that SC10 (or it’s predecessors) even produced a full local news bulletin for Northern NSW? Surely more than 20 years ago?

In any case, I agree that SC10 will most likely take the cheap option and keep the status quo in Northern NSW. Arguably, full local news services aren’t sustainable under a Network Ten affiliation.

1 Like

It would have been pre-aggregation back in the NRTV days.

2 Likes

I think NRTV continued local news production until about 1993 or 94, a couple of years after aggregation.

3 Likes

Try telling WIN that.

4 Likes

correct, and it shat all over NBN and Prime in quality too!

Peter Hanrahan on News, Terry Allen on Sport… terrific local Coffs Harbour production but viewers were just too rusted onto NBN to see that NRTV was just as good in all facets, and better in some.

3 Likes

It is yet to be shown that Southern Cross can produce local bulletins under a Nine affiliation with 50% affiliation fees. I suspect that in a few years time the number of local bulletins from SC and WIN combined will be less that what WIN produces by itself now.

I guess time will tell.

1 Like