Nine (Southern Cross)

3 Likes

SCA doesn’t own a TV licence in Northern NSW, but they do handle advertising sales for Nine (NBN) up there. This will come to an end from July 1, when WIN will handle the advertising sales, leaving SCA without any TV presence up there.

3 Likes

I have seen similar weird ad placement before too on other networks. Back when WIN was aligned with Nine, I recall an ad with North West NSW store locations only eg. Tamworth, Armidale on WIN in Dubbo.

1 Like

If it’s on the Dubbo area transmitters, isn’t it a reasonably easy drive to Tamworth from Dubbo? Makes some sense if that’s the case.

Ummmm… 3.5 hours, 310 km?

If you are going to drive all that way to get something, you’d be better off going to Sydney, which is only a bit further…

1 Like

Maybe they deliver? Who knows. Maybe the sales rep saw gold in selling out of their area? Or a traffic cock-up?

It’s just an ad. If they’re paying, they’ll show it.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Collins Foods QSR didn’t pay to run an ad for Taco Bell Ballina on the opposite end of the NSW coast though - would’ve been a case of the wrong ad/version being played.

You’re right, Ballina is only just up the road from Wollongong, it makes total sense.

They deliver, but good luck trying to convince the Menulog driver to drive 8 hours down the coast to deliver a Taco Bell order!

2 Likes

Make your own damn tacos. It’s cheaper. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Unlikely to be Collins Food as the Taco Bell franchise in NSW and ACT is owned by QSR Pty Ltd which is a subsidiary of NZ company Restaurant Brands New Zealand.

4 Likes

It’s not that hard a mistake to make. Wrong box ticked by a sales rep on the flight booking, mislabel of the “tape”, and eager sales manager giving them a Run of Station incorrectly.

In my experience sales reps come and go like the wind and most never last long enough to actually learn or get comfortable with trafficking.

The spot logs would be generated centrally, so I would find it difficult to blame a play out operator. Filler spots would be in a different file set and not likely to be ads, but CSAs or promos.

Unless “write ons” are still a thing? Where urgent ads are manually added after the traffic logs have been imported. Guess that could do it.

4 Likes

The Taco Bell Ballina ad went to air again on Nine Illawarra during the news tonight. Perhaps they haven’t created an ad end card for the recently opened Albion Park Rail store yet? I don’t watch much south coast free to air so I’m not aware if a localised version of the ad has been doing the rounds.

6 Likes

Could be something as simple as a key number slightly out too so it’s possible it’s meant for another company but there’s been no checks and balance down the line or somehow the logs for NBN Lismore and SCA Wollongong have merged somehow at NPC.

What sort of system do they use for traffic at NPC? We use ProTrack at work and there’s no way for us to merge logs together that I know of. I think it’s more likely a wrong tape label or tick box than that. I could be wrong though, depending on their system.

1 Like

According to Free TV’s Operation Practices Manual for DTTB Service Information Register since April 2020, SCA still HAS a license but NO station to broadcast from. (It’s in the NSW/ACT page.)

OP-40-Free-TV-Australia-DTTB-Service-Information-Register-Ver-14-April-2020-NSW-ACT.pdf (270.6 KB)

I don’t understand this?

2 Likes

Me neither. As we know, SCA doesn’t own a television licence in NNSW. And that register doesn’t state they do, with the SCA fields for NNSW being blank.

3 Likes

There’s also a “7flicks” and TVS still exists according to that doc, so yeah. Accuracy.

4 Likes

Not possible, the broadcast licence is now held by WIN.

3 Likes