Nine (Southern Cross)

The smart thing to do seems to be some sort of synergy between the local news resources SCA has in place for radio and the new Listner app - which has a staff of 200+

Just seems these news resources could be pooled and content creators work across digital (the app) radio and TV

2 Likes

While this just about goes without saying, Iā€™m not expecting grand things with the local news efforts on SCA Ten post-July 1!

As far as cheap update ideas are concerned, thatā€™s actually not too bad. Of course a proper local bulletin (or even just extended updates during 10 News First) would be most ideal, but at least updates by the SCA radio team would have the potential for some decent cross promotion opportunities.

I think people are more discussing the Darwin-style opt outs during COVID rather than noodle updates for SCA - which is no point because logistically you can produce a bulletin with those resources. SCA will need journos on the ground to produce stories for the opt-outs.

Frequently.

1 Like

and they need camera ops, so it wont happen too much $$ that SCA dont want to spend, heck i think they want out of TV altogther

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been hearing this for years. How SCA wants to sell their TV assets. Even when they were primarily a Ten affiliate.

Iā€™m guessing thereā€™s no serious buyers for the assets? Even less so with Ten not interested and the fact theyā€™ll soon be a celler dweller again in the ratings.

Iā€™ve mentioned this before but Seven must have offered cash for Tasmania but been rejected for some reason. It seems to be the cow keeping the TV assets alive.

4 Likes

Honestly, the return of SCA Ten may have its faults, such as the return of VO-less lineups, shoddy promos and ā€œ10 Local News Updatesā€ (with a hopefully updated title card). What SCA are doing with Nine is much better than what they did with Ten, in my opinion, I donā€™t want them to go ā€œback-to-basicsā€.

I remember that time they aired a [SCA-made] promo for The Living Room with canned electronic music in the background very often, still canā€™t get the tune out of my head. Yet it doesnā€™t seem to be on YouTubeā€¦

2 Likes

But what I think WIN have done under Ten, is much better than what SCA did, I think that is a more relevant comparison, since the lower rating 10 affiliation brings in less revenue for both.

1 Like

I think both regional affiliates set out to improve their service under the 2016 deals. New era, perfect time to try new things and impress the new affiliate partner. It worked both ways with good integration between WIN and Ten early on and the subsequent news service that Nine developed for SCA.

But of course the honeymoon doesnā€™t last forever. I predict the same this time once the switch happens again. Itā€™ll be a roaring start but 12 months down the track look for fractures and cost savings all over.

6 Likes

The rules may have changed since ā€˜my dayā€™, but news content sponsorship used to be against the rules. Weather is different.

Sponsorships generally donā€™t bring in a huge amount more revenue, theyā€™re just a sweetener to warm up good advertisers.

4 Likes

SCA Nine seems to be playing the ā€œAll In One Placeā€ nine.com.au promo a lot in the past few months. They usually play the regular version, but they do play a sped-up 5-second version (with the audio starting from ā€œall in one placeā€) sometimes, which might be an SCA edit.

Itā€™s been playing for years during basically every adbreak. Itā€™s bloody annoying.

1 Like

Yes, any time Nine have a sponsor billboard and SCA donā€™t, which is most of every day.

On 9Gem they do the same thing but use an ID instead. Poor old Poirot must get tired of saying ā€œI am better than the policeā€ half a dozen times per hour.

4 Likes

I recall the first SCA nine.com.au ad being a poor snip of the last 10 seconds of their first 30-second ad. At least the following ad was snipped much better, starting from ā€œall your newsā€.

2 Likes

Is SCA still planning to sell television stations eventually? If so who would buy the television stations in Queensland, Southern NSW / ACT and Victoria? Either prime or Seven would be in a prime position to buy the Tasmania, Darwin, broken hill, regional SA and central Australia TV station if possible?

3 Likes

In late 2019 after it was announced that SCA was buying Redwave radio from Seven West, Grant Blackley told The Australian:

SCA are presumably still waiting for the knock on door from Seven West.

8 Likes

Maybe a future owner of the 10 network may want to buy the regional Queensland, southern NSW / ACT and regional Victoria stations as well maybe?

2 Likes

Local television doesnā€™t seem to have the profit margins that large shareholder corporations ā€˜requireā€™. When local television stations like CTC Canberra started, local residents bought shares in the station - backed by local radio 2CA and the Canberra Times. Today weā€™d call it crowdfunding.

Indeed, Imparja is not-for-profit and could be viewed as ā€˜community ownedā€™.

Iā€™d love to see local chambers of commerce around the country push to ā€˜buy backā€™ their local TV stations. There is still a profit to be make in regional TV, just nowhere near the levels that satisfy corporations.

3 Likes

I tend to agree, Radio and TV are essentially community assets, people rely on them for local news and information.

It could be argued that should now be the internet, but radio and TV provide a more central reference source and can be relied upon for greater accuracy.

1 Like

ā€¦ one of the reasons Christopher Skase failed was that his first regional television station buy was premised on local owners taking shares in Qintex whereas all of them took cash because the station was no longer ā€œlocalā€ ā€¦

1 Like