Nine (Southern Cross)

Similar to 9 news Darwin during the pandemic before October 2020?

2 Likes

They are more likely to do what they used to before the swap and have short updates throughout the day. Question is where they will come from? The only studios SCA have now are in Tasmania. Do they have the space there to present the news from there? The Tasmanian studios will be used for updates for Southern Cross news in Tasmania throughout the day. Do they have space for an additional studio? Can they attract talent to Tasmania to present the noodle updates. Or will they use one of their many radio station offices they have as a studio to present the updates? Or will the government change the regulations so they no longer have to present the updates. All unknown at the moment.

No, why would they?

Letā€™s wait and see. SCA havenā€™t even signed an agreement with Ten yet.

In theory, both Hobart and Launceston are set up to produce news updates straight away if required.

1 Like

CBS arenā€™t interested in Channel Ten anymore and will probably sell the station in the near future. So why would they purchase the regionals?

According to TVBlackbox this week, CBS are wanting to get rid of 10 and exit the Australian market.

1 Like

Link? Canā€™t find the article

4 Likes

It was industry gossip mentioned in the podcast.

6 Likes

I think some of their points were so valid. 10 barely have programming other than the 1 slot each night. CBS are cutting budgets and thereā€™s no real content. As if theyā€™d buy SC regional stations.

1 Like

I agree. Iā€™d given up on the podcast last year but caught it this week and really enjoyed that passionate discussion. Ten is a basket case and it all comes down to poor management. SCA should play hardball and offer as little as possible for such sub standard content.

5 Likes

Could this backfire on SCA and possibly the likes of Prime or WIN do a deal with Ten to put as much content as possible on a multichannel/s?

Far fetched maybe, but not impossible if SCA offered something ā€œridiculousā€.

3 Likes

Isnā€™t that the same for Seven and Nine though who also focus on the 7.30 programme and not much else.

As any channel with lower ratings will gloat Ten does relatively well in the demos at 7.30 but I suspect the regional audience may be older, so not such a good fit for Ten. Arguably one of the three commercial channels actually focusing on building up 8.40/9pm content and capturing that audience could be inspired, though the trouble is the ridiculous way Aussie networks treat their schedules, and therefore the viewers, makes it a virtual non-starter as a sniff of a hit on Ten at 9pm for example would just see Nine and Seven ensure their 7.30pm shows run over even more than they do now.

4 Likes

When you look at 25-54 the stack between Nine, Seven and 10 is pretty tight and competitive

If you removed 6-7pm Iā€™d say 10 is almost #2

1 Like

ViacomCBS is increasing the streaming budget for original content from US$1 billion to $5billion.

Thatā€™s where the future is.

3 Likes

ā€¦ you donā€™t need a ā€œstudioā€ to present news ā€¦ I could do it out of a spare bedroom :rofl:

2 Likes

SC10 Weeknights GV never had a studio for the majority of the program, I think it was only the weather segment which came from Canberra

3 Likes

They could just hookup a camera in their Radio News studios around the country and just record the Radio Newsreader/Journalist as theyā€™re reading the local news for that particular area and use that vision for TV.

Dodgy but legal requirements fulfilled.

4 Likes

I was just about to suggest something similar. SCA have newsrooms in many locations across regional Australia that could be utilised. It would serve as great promotion for those regional stations and build connections with local communities. Set up a camera in a corner of the station, record a noodle update, send it down the line to have graphics inserted before playout. They could read it outside in a quiet location as the SCA9 reporters were doing during COVID. The journo doesnā€™t even have to appear on camera if they didnā€™t want to. Record the audio and just have a graphic on screen with the headlines like an old style community noticeboard.

7 Likes

Itā€™s a pity that ACA is on Nine, they could have seen if Traceyā€™s house was still set up!

I guess with all the news interviews and everything happening over Skype and Zoom etcā€¦ now people are used to that standard and they could just use that! Live from Chesterā€™s bedroom - this is your Local News Update.

3 Likes

Not recommended:

4 Likes