Nine (Southern Cross)

WIN can keep it under the current rules. The ownership of the licences isn’t changing.

But why would SCA want NRN back when they have been itching to sell their television stations.

4 Likes

Or Let ViacomCBS buy 50% of SCA’s Regional Affilates on the East Coast.

1 Like

I’d say the most logical step is WIN still own NRN but with noodle updates presented from Wollongong. In theory, nothing changes. Makes no sense to sell it. Surely it still makes a profit.

1 Like

Somehow i don’t think that will happen.

1 Like

Will we see the return of the Southern Cross Ten branding?

1 Like

Highly unlikely. The Southern Cross brand has not been in existence for five years now

7 Likes

I doubt it. They were essentially just mirroring Ten in the old days, anyway.

4 Likes

Just go back to the old names: Ten Southern NSW (or heck, Ten Capital), Ten Victoria, Ten Queensland, maybe even Ten Northern NSW if they have to buy back NRN.

2 Likes

I reckon the stations will officially be known as SCA Ten…but from an on-air perspective, largely just use pure Network Ten branding.

The “Southern Cross Ten” name/brand was barely used during its whole existence outside of the legally mandated News Updates, Community Service Announcements and some Station IDs.

4 Likes

The LCNs in June 2016 were SC10 Canberra, etc., so I’d expect that to return (especially since 10’s logo is now numeric instead of text)

2 Likes

Would they not simply do “10 Canberra”? Aren’t the current LCNs just “9 Canberra” with no hint of the SCA name?

6 Likes

Yes you’re right, SCA have stopped co-branding their TV stations.

2 Likes

And weren’t they shockers!

4 Likes

My impression overall since Grant Blackley took over is that SCA would prefer to just use dirty feeds and generic network branding on air across all channels and it’s unlikely we would see any semblance of the SC10 brand coming back

7 Likes

Why do they need to use any SC branding at all? If they are affiliated with Ten just take a dirty feed.

2 Likes

That’s what they will certainly do. The reason to have your own branding is to boost your profile for sales.

2 Likes

Currently, in the Spencer Gulf where SCA broadcast all 3 stations:

5/51 - 10 Port Pirie
50 - 10HD Port Pirie

6/61 - 7 Port Pirie
60 - 7HD Port Pirie

8/81 - 9 Port Pirie
80 - 9HD Port Pirie

6 Likes

There is no way that the Southern Cross Ten brand will ever return. SCA (or SCB back then) rebranded everything with a consistent look back around 2003 from the whole company name, the TV assets, the radio stations and Southern Star Sales (was that theirs or a production company with a similar name) and there was a consistent look across the brand yet unique.

The radio stations all had logos like image

and the TV stations had similar logos too, Southern Cross Ten lost the Ten branding and had a star with a yellow stripe and Southern Cross Tasmania lost the Tassie Tiger logo and had the same logo but with the red stripe which we know they kept for quite a long time.

From the early 2010’s around the time of the Austereo merger I’d say the branding dropped, the radio stations had changed, there were things starting to slip with the SC10 and eventually it just became pretty well Ten branding. The only one to remain so long was the SC Tas logo until the change to 7 Tasmania. I think that one even outlived the corporate logo which is now the plain looking “SCA” although that had changed dramatically with the merger but had still kept the star component on the A.

Long story short - they don’t seem to care about the brand and nobody else does either. There’s no history with it unlike the possible argument WIN could launch and their biggest market where there was any brand history (despite being less than 30 years worth) was SC Tas and they ditched to become a dirty 7 feed and nobody cares these days.

Local TV is dead, sucks for some reasons but that’s the way it is.

8 Likes

I thought the SC Ten brand was always haphazardly used alongside Ten from day one?

3 Likes

Prior to the 2005 corporate rebrand of Southern Cross Broadcasting, I’m pretty sure it was just the Ten logo with fairly plain “Southern Cross” text underneath?

5 Likes