Nine (Southern Cross)

Southern Cross Ten to return?

2 Likes

See the full topic for discussion of this

1 Like

Southern Cross dropped most 2GB/2UE content many years ago. Hadley is all that’s left and he only on six Triple M stations.

2 Likes

OT but he’s also on Community radio in Hay, NSW. Seems random.

It’s probably stems from when John Laws was on 2UE. A lot of broadcast operations stations used to take John Laws but stopped taking it so some community stations started taking John Laws as there was still a lot of interest from the community.

When I was younger during my university holidays I used to be a panel operator for the local community radio station who used to take Laws.
It was annoying as we had to chop laws short when he was doing live commercial reads as we were limited to only having 5 minutes of ads in an hour.

I believe when Laws retired they took Hadley in he’s place.

1 Like

Hay is in the licence area of and receives 2RG (Triple M Griffith) so strange that it can be heard on both community radio (in crystal clear FM) or on the local commercial station in glorious AM mono.

2 Likes

So many Nine logos…

6 Likes

Which channel is that? :laughing:

At least two of them are watermarks (instead of solid mappy-style rubbish).

Perhaps MediaHub used the wrong (metro) timings, for where news hadn’t started yet.

3 Likes

Nah it’s all out of NPC media (including for SCA)

3 Likes

Ah, of course. Thanks.

2 Likes

With Southern Cross losing its regional affiliation to Nine on July 1, it will have no choice but to sign a new agreement with ViacomCBS ANZ surely?

4 Likes

They can also shut down as an option.

3 Likes

So if SC chooses to shut down, will regional viewers have to get VAST to continue to watch 10? Or can Prime take over the signals?

1 Like

If they want to relinquish their licence then it would be handed back to the government to determine what happens to it, i.e. have it issued to another operator

2 Likes

Television affiliation change from 1 July 2021

Southern Cross Media Group Limited (ASX: SXL) (SCA) has been informed this morning by Nine Entertainment Co (ASX: NEC) (Nine) that Nine will not extend the current regional television affiliation agreement beyond its current expiry on 30 June 2021. Nine has also announced its decision to ASX this morning.

SCA has broadcast Nine’s metropolitan free-to-air television content into the three aggregated markets of regional Queensland, Southern NSW and regional Victoria since 1 July 2016. The complementary arrangements under which SCA also provides national and local sales representation for Nine’s NBN television station in the fourth aggregated market of Northern NSW will also come to an end on 30 June 2021.

SCA’s television business continues to include program supply agreements with Seven West Media (ASX: SWM) covering the Tasmania, Darwin, Central and Spencer Gulf markets until 30 June 2022 under which 20% of SCA’s total television advertising revenue is generated. SCA also broadcasts Nine and Ten programming in Spencer Gulf.

SCA’s sales teams have consistently generated excellent sales outcomes for its partners. Over the five year period of the Nine affiliation, SCA’s sales power ratio (converting ratings to revenue) in the three aggregated markets improved by nine percentage points from 1.03 in 1H FY2017 to 1.12 in 1H FY20211. Commencing local sales representation of NBN in Northern NSW from 1 May 2018, SCA grew NBN’s local power ratio from 0.86 in H2 FY2018 to 1.09 in 1H FY2021. SCA is proud of this market-leading sales performance over the period of the Nine affiliation which has generated strong commercial returns for both SCA and Nine.

For more than 20 years before entering the Nine affiliation in 2016, SCA was affiliated with Network Ten in SCA’s licence areas. SCA looks forward to discussions in coming weeks with Network Ten to establish a new affiliation in regional Queensland, Southern NSW and regional Victoria from 1 July 2021 with marketing support from SCA’s extensive network of regional radio stations and continuing strong sales performance.

9 Likes

so another operator could that mean that maybe WIN could have both??? if sca relinquish there licence back to the govt and the govt changes the rules???

1 Like

No I don’t think that’ll happen. I was being playful.

They’ll do a new deal with Ten. Only question mark will be the noodle updates.

6 Likes

lots of “if” statements there and both unknowns. Neither has been done before. But both are irrelevant as SCA has announced that it will seek to negotiate a new deal with Ten

1 Like

Nothing in the SCA statement says anything about the NNSW licence itself - WIN probably can’t keep it within the current rules, unless I’ve read them wrong. Maybe WIN sells it to ViacomCBS?

3 Likes

WIN will do a deal with Ten, just like how SCA previously did despite being with Nine elsewhere. I would suggest the station is profitable as WIN with only noodle updates.

5 Likes