Nine (Southern Cross)

Anybody notice 9HD isn’t clear today!

I have noticed a reduction in quality across all SC channels, that to me seemed to coincide with the intro of the slide on 55 for YesShop but may also be associated with setting up for the intro of 9Life.

Someone with more technical knowledge might be able to fix up the terms I have used, but looking at the bit rates, they now seem to be allocating a fixed number of bits per channel, rather than having a variable rate as in the past. The difference being that when a lot of movement occurs in the picture of one channel, if a variable bitrate is used it can temporarily increase its allocation to maintain the image quality but with a constant allocation the image quality suffers. I noticed this last night. When checking the new slide for 55, I noticed the very poor quality of the SD channel, then saw that it was associated with lots of movement during the NRL. Hopefully just a temporary measure.

Last night

2 Likes

A similar thing happened when WIN launched HD and 9Life into WA. They turned off statistical multiplexing and ran all their channels at a set bitrate for a few days. Hopefully SCA are just tweaking things and it will return.

2 Likes

SCA doesn’t run stat muxing. Are you sure the HD channel has dropped in bitrate?

Just checked the bitrate of 9HD here in Townsville.
I got 5.371Mbps.

For comparison, my last test on Wednesday was:

There has definitely been a reduction on 9SD, 9Gem and 9Go.
Full result this afternoon was:
9HD: 5.371 Mbps
Nine: 3.801 Mbps
9Gem: 3.795 Mbps
9Go!: 3.811 Mbps
9Life: 1.751 Mbps
TBA: 1.101 Mbps (YesShop placeholder)
Aspire: 1.100 Mbps

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/yesshop/658

It’ll be very interesting to see if a metropolitan network (Nine? Ten?) eventually broadcasts YesShop on it’s multiplex now that Foxtel and SCA in regional areas are running it, although I personally hope not because more infomercial channels means less room for proper channels and HD quality! :confused:

I would not be surprised if Nine in metro areas will carry YesShop in the future! But I am surprised that the metro Sevens aren’t carrying ishoptv in line with their country cousins at Prime (or any other infomercial channel for that matter as metro Seven at the moment does not have one after the loss of 4ME!)

Honestly, given the quality of SCA’s “Local News Headlines”, I hope any new news bulletins are produced by Nine. I know it’s probably not terribly likely, but I doubt SCA will ever be able to produce anything with quality given their track record.

Samantha Heathwood would be a good option for presenter, in a Nine produced scenario.
She’s presented WIN News bulletins in Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton and Toowoomba before, so she would be a familiar face to most of the Regional QLD audience (that’s if they even remember her though :P)

2 Likes

dunno why 194 shows Yesshop coming soon if its already on D180 unless its just changing to channel 194?

[quote=“WAtvVideos, post:1268, topic:1198, full:true”]I think I know what’s going on here now. WIN must still have control over that prized first column in the guide (as you said, they used it themselves prior to TDT launching) and has stopped the Nine logo from being used, creating this logo as a replacement. The smaller HD lettering is plucked from WIN’s previous logo, same size and everything. So even after WIN and Nine sever ties, they still continue to boycott the Nine brand anywhere they can. I will bet this logo is not seen anywhere except where WIN has editorial control.[/quote]I doubt it. :yum:
IIRC, ABC actually occupied the first listing on all the print guides prior to TDT launching (thinking back to over 10 years ago believe it or not so not 100% certain now). After TDT launched WIN moved from last on the TV listings to first and TDT was placed last with ABC second and so on. Now after the affiliation swap, TDT has the first listing and WIN is listed last again.

Also noticed in last weeks TV Week guides that the new logo with “TDT” written beside it is now being used (the Nine logo with “Nine” written beside was used in the previous weeks issue.

SCA just aired a “9Life now available on Channel 54” advert on 9Go.

Jumping the gun just slightly, as official launch is in 6 hours.

1 Like

Here’s how it began

6 Likes

It looks clearer than when WIN had it.

3 Likes

Good to hear that regional viewers have 9life back. Bet that WIN will still get complaints that 9life isn’t available though -_-

1 Like

*most regional viewers :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Yep, I notice any questions about Tasmania or WA that get asked on the Nine on 5 facebook page get ignored.

South Australia as well.

Something I noticed while up in North East Victoria over the weekend - the SCA 9Gem feed breaks out of the dirty feed from GTV Melbourne during commercial breaks, breaking in for programmes.

However, they seem to break out again suddenly whenever a 9Gem ident airs, replacing it with a dodgy promo for The Briefcase which I didn’t get a chance to record, or for a pre-2015 styled Gem ident (the dot-less ones WIN used to run).

2 Likes

I hate how regional South Australia has been effectively abandoned by SCA with no changes to LCNs or multichannels. They should have moved Nine to 5xx LCNs and Ten to 8xx LCNs to be in line with all other Nine and Ten programming. Plus, neither 9Life or 9HD will be launched in the area either. :angry:

1 Like