Nine News Presenters and Reporters

Long shift for Amber today. Starting off with Today Extra at 9.30 and ending at the news at 7.00

4 Likes

Really? That’s a pretty common shift for a lot people in that industry. I’m sure she has a lot of down time as well in between appearances, unlike those working behind the scenes.

7 Likes

Today_Extra_20220526_1027.ts_003733860

Earlier

9 Likes

Nice to see Amber doing more than just weather for once. I’ve always thought she’s quite a good newsreader.

5 Likes

I didn’t think it was that bad. He’d just crossed to Brad Fittler and done a story about Tom Brady so it was just a slip of the tongue. It made for a very human, slightly humorous moment.

5 Likes

I agree that the mistake itself wasn’t bad, even the very best of newsreaders can have a slip of the tongue. My comments about James not being the right fit for the role were more of a general observation rather than it simply stemming from the mistake he made on tonight’s bulletin.

3 Likes

I think James has done a pretty good job so far.

6 Likes

I think he’s been fine in the role. I don’t feel any awkwardness or tension between the presenters. Bracey does seem to be working a lot between the news desk and NRL commitments. I can’t think of anyone better they could’ve had in the role short of bringing someone in from outside the network or begging Kenny to come back.

9 Likes

I quite like James. He is only 37 so he could very well be the next Kenny, Stephen Q, TJ and last many years in the role.

5 Likes

I definitely can’t fault him for his work ethic and dedication. On paper, James was by far the best person at TCN for the role, 100%. However, i’m still not entirely convinced that he should remain the sports presenter long-term and that’s through no fault of his own. He is perfectly fine as a sports presenter. It’s just that the chemistry between him and Pete is still lacking IMO, even after being in the role for a number of months, and that presents a bit of an issue as Peter is unlikely to retire anytime soon. The interactions between them are never truly ‘awkward’, but I feel as though something still isn’t quite right so to speak.

One thing I’ve noticed in particular is that Pete doesn’t adlib at the end of sport as often as he did with Cam. That could simply just come down to not having worked with James for long enough (and that probably is the reason for it in all fairness), but I remember Cam and Pete established good on-screen chemistry between them right from the get-go. Maybe it’s the fact that they are close in age or they had known each other before Cam joined the bulletin, who knows. However, the rapport between the two was obvious from the moment Cam took over the role from Kenny back in 2016.

With James, the dynamic is different. You can see James trying to have a bit of banter with Pete at times, but in my observations, Pete isn’t making the same effort. Quite often he’ll just say “James, thank you” and quickly move on to the headline previews, whereas he regularly used to joke around with Cam during the wrap-up of sport.

3 Likes

If that’s the case, and if Nine wanted it to be lighter with banter instead of a serious transition, then it sounds like it’s Peter who needs to step it up and make more of an effort, not James’ issue.

3 Likes

Pete is definitely capable of good banter if that’s what they want.

3 Likes

I agree that James isn’t at fault for any of this, and like I mentioned, I do feel as though he is trying to make the effort to establish more of a rapport with Pete. In my opinion, it’s Pete who is not making the same effort to try and improve the chemistry between them, and that is ultimately affecting the viewing experience of the bulletin.

The management at Nine could have a word in his ear and say to him that he needs to improve in that way, but I doubt that will happen considering the fact that he has been anchoring the bulletin for 13 years. They won’t want to say anything which could potentially be taken the wrong way or stir trouble.

1 Like

The rapport between Overton and the other presenters is still miles ahead of the awkward, stilted exchanges over on ATN which makes that bulletin pretty much unwatchable. I agree Pete can be a bit stiff and stand-offish at times. His rapport with Amber hasn’t improved much in all the years she’s been doing weather. I blame both of them for that. They like to stay very much on script. The Nine bulletin seldom flows seamlessly but they seem to recover OK thanks to Pete’s ability to pull it together.

Both bulletins are nowhere near the quality of the Seven bulletin when Ian Ross and Chris Bath were presenting. The Rossco, Matt White and Nuala combo is the gold standard in my opinion.

1 Like

Friday 27 May -

Lizzie Pearl is presenting Morning News and Afternoon News in Sydney today.

8 Likes

I notice TJ does a general / good news / light / not sport story each night. Has this always been the case?

2 Likes

It has been the case for quite a while now

5 Likes

Overton throwing to the final break promoting finance as coming up during tonight’s bulletin. No finance report on Sunday nights.

there was a finance report last evening - Scott Phillips from Motley Fool - as he is most Sunday nights

1 Like

Not on the Sydney 6pm bulletin.

3 Likes