Nine News Local

Have to say, Samantha and Jo were almost givens, but Vanessa is a surprise for the NSW/ACT presenter gig. I’d go as far to say that she’s going to be pretty unfamiliar to viewers so see how she goes.

5 Likes

I wonder if this means the current update presenters will be filing stories for the bulletins instead…

Southern cross have done well out of this… nine bard all the risk and are paying all staff and all expenditure. Southern cross supply some office space and that’s about it. Well done to nine and southern cross for this.

I wish all networks would do this to all their affiliates.

8 Likes

and a bucketload of promotional spots throughout the ad inventory. Contra.

2 Likes

So are they going to put local stories over the top of national news, anywhere throughout the bulletin? Or a local news window?

It seems like as KICK-IT said a few posts above that it’s going to be a separate bulletin which incorporates a window for local news + state and national stories that air in the Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane bulletins.

2 Likes

I think it would be more damaging to Nine to need to make the story order adjustments to drop city centric stories into what would essentially be a capital city ‘block’ in a statewide bulletin, to make the bulletin suit having opt-outs for regional areas.

For regional viewers, a cohesive hour is better than what people get on Prime/Seven - where local and national news are split - especially in Queensland/Albury where it’s a sliced up metro bulletin rather than a proper 30 minute one like Prime do for NSW.

Hopefully WIN’s staff can jump ship into the positions created by this, rather than lose out 6 months down the line when WIN axe the lot.

5 Likes

Three new faces of Nine’s regional news revealed

Head of Nine News Regional Mike Dalton said the anchors would present local content from three or four reporters and two camera crews working out of each region from early next year. “It’s going to be a staggered roll out, we’re going to launch into Canberra first which is a nod to [Nine’s affiliate partner] Southern Cross, that’s their home market,” he said. “That’s going to launch in the first week of February, and then roll in Wollongong and the Illawarra the second week, then Orange, Bathurst and Dubbo the third week, then in the fourth week go into Wagga etc.”

12 Likes

Relanch???/?/ Now that Nine is, y’know, National.

4 Likes

After Nine went to all the trouble of doing up new look graphics with the current Nine News logo? I don’t think so.

I think it’s more likely that head of Nine News regional Mike Dalton is one of those people at Nine that can’t let go of old habits!

5 Likes

it was Grant Blackley’s quote :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Best explained, IMO, of the local news layout for those still confused:[quote=“Three new faces of Nine’s regional news revealed, topic:2086” ]

…Speaking to Fairfax Media at the Nine launch, the women said the hour-long bulletins – which will have about 12 to 15 minutes of local content mixed with state and national news – would be tailored to each regional centre…

[/quote]

2 Likes

So the different regions could have a different running order of national stories? So presumably it couldn’t be read live with inserts like NBN’s is.

1 Like

The metro bulletins wouldn’t want any interference like that. Instead of scheduling the news and weather exactly how they want it (naturally). They would have to take into account fixed windows for weather and pad out weather reports like Gavin Morris on NBN does (and sometimes gets cut off when he goes over time).

They would want metro news to stay as-is and schedule it without interference. It’s worth too much money. It’s a totally different beast to regional which should stay separate.

2 Likes

If Nine News was to change the format of their successful metropolitan news services just so regional content windows can fit around it, I think Seven News would very quickly get a major promotional opportunity out of it.

Nine and SCA will have to be in it for the long haul for this major regional news project, stick with what works, change elements that don’t work and gradually evolve and fine-tune the format over time. Maybe it might take a few years for any major ratings success, but it’s always well worth remembering that it took a few years for Nine News Sydney with Peter Overton to go from being a ratings basketcase to a very clear #1 position in the ratings.

3 Likes

I’ve always liked Jo Hill, like Pete she’s a stalwart.

In terms of earlier comments about national reports being inserted et. al. Pretty sure they can come from any city (e.g.) Sydney get national produced stories from Melbourne and vice-versa all the time, Melbourne get national produced stories from QLD all the time and vice-versa, etc.

Am I correct in thinking, all the local bulletins will be lined-up & timed the same (with a story from Canberra or Sydney or Melbourne or overseas all at the same time) and then the sub-market local stories around that, including sport and weather?

My guess is it will be laid out very simply.

A live one hour state wide bulletin at 6.

It will open with the biggest stories of the day, being regional, state, Canberra politics or national. If a “local” story is really big enough to reach all regions it may go up top too.

The local windows will be 12-15 minutes and go probably 10 minutes into the bulletin. I think any purely local sport will go here.

Sport will be statewide.

Weather will be all local pre record insert.

Live wrap up and goodbye

5 Likes

That is exactly my opinion too. Especially for us here in QLD. I can see Nine News becoming a really successful news service up here, but it’s going to take some time for people to get used to watching it.
As i’ve said though, if SCA (and i’m sure they will) promote 9 News at every turn they get on their radio stations in QLD, I think they’ve got a real shot at success, but it’ll take time to get to that point.

One thing that I already find attractive about it, is the composite nature of the bulletin. There’ll be no more need for watching local news and then sitting through the metro news to get the national stories.
Plus, the likely abolition of the “Local News Headlines”.

2 Likes

…then local sport after statewide sport

Mike Dalton has already been quoted as saying it will be based on NBN’s model. There is no reason they won’t have local sport windows as well, just like NBN.

The bulletins will be recorded at the Docklands, a second studio will be built to produce the bulletins. Jo hopes to produce a feature news story a week for the local Melbourne bulletin as well next year.

4 Likes