Nine News Local

Amen

Yeah youā€™re right, the original article didnā€™t make mention of Wide Bay receiving a bulletin. She has had exposure on the late news and summer editions along with the statewide news updates in both those regions though.

1 Like

The original article in The Canberra Times made it clear that this is what will happen. Peter Overton will still be seen on Nine News across NSW.

@littlegezzybear

Really? I just read the The Canberra Times story and I saw no part of the story that mentioned local news inserts will be placed into the Sydney news or that Peter Overton will be seen. In fact the story over and over again says makes it sound as if 15 new one hour newscasts will be launched.

Regional broadcaster Southern Cross Austereo will launch a Canberra edition of Nine News in February as it rolls out 15 local news bulletins

the hour-long regional bulletins will air Monday to Friday and blend local news, sport and weather reports with national and international news and sport from Nineā€™s existing Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane bulletins.

The above does not make it clear it will be local inserts.

For example 9 News Brisbane, 9 News Adelaide and 9 news Perth also blend local news, sport and weather with national and international news from Nineā€™s Sydney and Melbourne bulletins - yet they are not local insert bulletins

Where?

Doubt it.

Head of Nine News Regional Mike Dalton said regional viewers wouldnā€™t care that their local Nine News bulletin was not anchored by local newsreaders.
ā€œFrom Laurie Oakes in Canberra, to Nineā€™s correspondents around the world, to our journalists on the ground in all of these towns and regions, we will be offering a seamless presentation of the dayā€™s top stories,ā€ he said.

I wouldnā€™t call switching between local and metro presenters mid bulletin ā€œseamlessā€. They can/will draw on NBNā€™s experience in producing a composite bulletin with local windows using the same set of presenters.

3 Likes

Yeah, it wasnā€™t mentioned in the first article, but I have since seen it mentioned on multiple other sources, and the inclusion of the Wide Bay bulletin took the total number of new regional bulletins to the correct value.

Of course, I hadnā€™t even considered the late news and summer editions. Factor that in, youā€™re correct in saying that she has featured in all QLD markets at one point or another.

Iā€™ve read it again too:

Yes, exactly.

ā€œThe Canberra bulletin (not Canberra inserts) will mix local news, sport & weather with national and international news and sport from Nineā€™s Sydney bulletin, which is anchored by Peter Overtonā€

Just like the Brisbane, Darwin, Perth & Adelaide bulletin mixes local news sport & weather with international news and sport from Nineā€™s Sydney bulletin.

That is Canberra, Perth, Adelaide etc take national reports filed by the TCN/National news room.

Nowhere does it say Peter Overton will appear. It says Pete anchors the Sydney bulletin, from which content will be taken

3 Likes

Thatā€™s nice. Still doesnā€™t say Peter himself will be involved, just that they will use the same national and international news and sport (stories) that the Sydney bulletin does. ā€œwhich is anchored by Peter Overtonā€ is nothing more than stating a fact about the Sydney bulletin that is currently shown in Canberra, not necessarily in any relation to what will happen with the new bulletins. Letā€™s see what the stories say once Nine have actually announced presenters today.

NINE NEWS TO LAUNCH 15 REGIONAL NEWS BULLETINS

Southern Cross Austereo (SCA) and Nine today announced that in 2017 SCA will broadcast 15 dedicated local Nine News bulletins to viewers in its regional markets in Queensland, Southern NSW and regional Victoria.

The one-hour Monday to Friday news bulletins will contain local stories that matter most in their communities, dedicated local sport and weather reports, together with all the State-based, national and international news that viewers have come to expect from Nine News.

Vanessa Oā€™Hanlon will present the bulletin in Southern NSW and Canberra. Jo Hall will front the bulletins to be broadcast in regional Victoria. And Samantha Heathwood will front the regional Queensland bulletins.

The bulletins will be rolled out progressively starting in February, first in Canberra and then in Wollongong with other markets following.

In one of the largest rollouts of news operations in Australia, in total more than 110 staff will be employed by Nine in the regional news division. Staff will be based in Sydney, regional NSW, Brisbane, regional Queensland, Melbourne and regional Victoria to produce and put the news services to air in each of the regions.

The production and broadcast of the local regional news bulletins was agreed between Nine and SCA as part of their new programming affiliation agreement, with Nine meeting the necessary employee and capex costs.

Grant Blackley, Chief Executive Officer of SCA, said: ā€œWe are committed to our local communities and this local news project is an investment in these local economies and local jobs. Nearly 80 dedicated news staff including journalists, camera operators and editors will be employed and located in 18 regional centres to bring the news to our regional viewers, with another 30 working on the bulletins in Nineā€™s metropolitan newsrooms.

ā€œIf there is breaking news in Cairns, in Orange or in Albury, National Nine News will be on the ground to cover it and our viewers in those communities will be able to rely on Nine News to bring them the best television coverage.ā€

Mike Dalton, Head of Nine News Regional, said: ā€œThis is a big win for regional Australia. The Nine News brand is synonymous with bringing viewers an unrivalled news service, with a proud history going back 60 years.

ā€œFor the first time, our brand will be extended into country areas, offering regional viewers the very best in news gathering and reporting. We canā€™t wait to start telling the stories that matter the most to people in the new regions into which weā€™ll be broadcasting.ā€

The launch date for each market will be announced in the weeks leading up to the first broadcast in each market.

Local news will be broadcast to 15 television sub-markets:

Southern NSW
ā€¢ Canberra
ā€¢ Wollongong
ā€¢ Central West (Orange, Bathurst, Dubbo)
ā€¢ Wagga Wagga

Regional Victoria
ā€¢ Ballarat
ā€¢ Bendigo
ā€¢ Albury/Shepparton
ā€¢ Gippsland

Regional Queensland
ā€¢ Cairns
ā€¢ Townsville
ā€¢ Mackay
ā€¢ Rockhampton
ā€¢ Wide Bay
ā€¢ Toowoomba
ā€¢ Sunshine Coast

7 Likes

Yeah, that set is only used on a major metropolitan station. Nothing to worry about.

Not sure if this Info from ABC on-line has been mentioned anywhere

Network Director of Regional News for Nine, Mike Dalton, said the model was based on NBN News in the Hunter, with an hour-long bulletin mixing national, state and local content.

ā€œIts not an insert into the metro news,ā€ Mr Dalton said.

"You might have your Laurie Oaks story out of Canberra then state news, but local news will be up the pointy end of the bulletin as well.

ā€œThere will be quite a large block of local news.ā€

10 Likes

That to me sounds like it will be a live statewide bulletin for the hour, with Canberra, state and national news leading - then into a long local window (pre-records)

This has the potential to backfire massively for Nine. I fear they risk losing viewers, particularly in centres close to capitals, by replacing familiar faces and a format that viewers have become accustomed to over years.

Nine already has issues getting one bulletin to air at 6pm. The extra resources required to produce an additional bulletin will put a strain on their ability to seamlessly get their flagship city bulletins to air.

80 staff spread across 18 regional centres will amount to the minimum amount of local news required under licence conditions. I just donā€™t see this being a worthwhile exercise.

6 Likes

I say think positive, this is Nine we are talking about. Not Ten. I have no doubt they will be able to deliver it. And unlike when Ten tried to introduce more news, Nine and SCA already know that the markets they are breaking into want this.

And if done correctly, WIN might even fix themselves, who knows lol.

But letā€™s just see how it goes once they begin this rollout.

7 Likes

Exactly. My original reading of the story was it would be an insert into the metro bulletin, but I was wrong. I think having a separate regional bulletin is a useless duplication.

Personally Iā€™m going to wait and see how Nine & SCA handle the pre-launch marketing and promotion of their new regional news services before saying whether or not they will work!

From all reports, the format of the new regional news services are being based on that of NBN News in Northern NSW/Gold Coast so presumably the new bulletins will consist of local content windows complimenting state, national & international content. NBN News rates well in most of their sub-markets IIRC so with that and a gradual rollout, I remain fairly confident that Nine & SCA might be able to successfully establish new regional news services despite breaking the 2-3 decades long tradition of regional viewers seeing the metropolitan bulletins.

Who knows, if the new regional editions of Nine News are a success it just might pressure WIN/Prime7/Seven Queensland into improving the quality of their own regional news services.

4 Likes

I see a few people are sceptical about all of this but hey, this is good for the nine brand, regional TV and gets people in jobs

11 Likes

I actually think these new NBN style Nine bulletins are going to be great.

Sure, the metro bulletins are well known, but knowing Nine, the quality of the new regional bulletins will be nearly the same.

Itā€™s going to be good having a regional bulletin go to air that is actually live.
If something major breaks in a regional market during the news, 9 News will be able to cover it during the statewide windows, meaning theyā€™ll likely end up being the first to cover local breaking news, as 7 News and WIN News are both pre-recorded and always miss anything major that happens after 4pm.

From the few people iā€™ve told about the upcoming 9 News bulletins, the reactions iā€™ve received have all been really positive.

9 News could even go down the track of marketing it as the ā€œthe only live hour-long local news bulletinā€ or something like that, and iā€™m confident thereā€™ll be heavy cross promotion all day across SCAs radio stations.

I personally think this is going to be great for regional areas, and despite the fact I enjoy 9 News now, having a local version with the same quality of stories is going to be even better than watching the metro version in my opinion.

I just hope that unlike NBN, they do pre-recorded openers allowing each market to have their own opener focussing on local and major national stories.

8 Likes

Well you can always check out the Gold Coast bulletin for a preview of the quality that might be seen. That would be the closest to a regional bulletin that Nine currently produce and it is 100% local.

3 Likes