Nine News Local

If it’s not good enough for metro viewers or network presenters then it shouldn’t be chucked onto regional screens.

9 Likes

I totally agree. There’s someone in the Prime7 news thread slagging the bulletins up and down NSW for their unprofessional presenters, but the moment someone shows a shred of competence they’re supposed to get whisked away to the metro bulletins? The regionals can’t win.

13 Likes

Davina doing Local News in the week between Christmas and new year makes sense.

Belinda Russell is doing Today and weather on 6pm news. A lot of presenters are doing double duty to allow a lot of presenters and reporters to take leave.

3 Likes

I’m not following that discussion, but here in Queensland we have a number of presenters- Rob Brough, Paul Taylor, Joanne Desmond, Rosanna Natoli, Steve Titmus, Peter Byrne- who have all been on regional TV for decades. Sounds like a PRIME issue.

2 Likes

If I was Davina Smith being told to present a regional bulletin over the Christmas/New Year period, I’d feel like I’m receiving a demotion.

4 Likes

Prime are giving some of the younger journos the opportunity to gain further presenting experience while their usual anchors are on holidays.

4 Likes

That’s nice. Maybe Nine News Local NSW should be doing that?

3 Likes

She seems perfectly happy to be at work this week.

Three days ago Smith announced on Instagram that she is pregnant. She is probably having very happy thoughts.

9 Likes

What? She’s still presenting her usual bulletins and is having more exposure.

1 Like

then you dont presenters all that well, most of the ones i know are happy to present news bulletins, she is also doing morning news and the 4pm bulletin…

Hopefully she’s not a snob then and is just happy to a) have a job, and b) help out where needed. No I in Team.

1 Like
9 Likes

I assume Nine News Local doesn’t air in Toowoomba or Mackay? Or does it air with no local stories from these areas?

3 Likes

It airs in Mackay with no local stories.

Previously the hour-long bulletin would air with the “local windows” showing random stories from other markets with maybe one local V/O thrown in showing file footage. The only thing local about “9 News Mackay” was the 5-second fuel check at the end of the window, and the weather report at the very end of the bulletin

6 Likes

Just watched the NSW/ACT local bulletin for the first time since moving to the area.
The bulletin seems “more local” to me than the QLD bulletin ever did. Helped by the fact it’s covering only 4 markets that are all generally geographically in the same area, rather than 7 spread out markets in QLD.

Across the bulletin there were 2 ACT stories and 2 ACT V/O stories that aired.
The bulletin wasn’t bad, but it certainly felt weird to have capital city stories jammed in with stories about small regional towns.

Story breakdown was:

Time Market Type Topic
5:29 Generic V/O Victoria border opening
5:30 ACT Story Quarantine
5:32 Non-local V/O UK COVID Update
5:33 Illawarra V/O Armed Robbery
5:34 ACT Story Car Burnouts
5:35 Albury Live Cross NSW/VIC Border Opening
5:36 Wagga Live Cross Street Fight
5:38 ACT V/O Carjacking
5:38 Illawarra V/O Court Case
5:39 Central West Story Donation Scam
5:40 ACT V/O Man Charged with Vandalism
5:41 - - Ad Break
5:44 Central West Story Grave Vandalism
5:45 Central West V/O New Roundabout
5:46 Illawarra Story New Hotel Development
5:48 Generic V/O National Emergency Medal
5:48 - - Ad Break
5:51 - - Sport
5:55 - - Ad Break
5:58 - - Weather
5:59 - - Closer
10 Likes

Sounds like a better rundown than QLD.

3 Likes

How is that a local story? Was there any connection to NSW?

6 Likes

I don’t see the issue of having a quick V/O with a COVID update - regardless of being a local story or not.

WIN News and Seven RQLD frequently mention interstate or major international stories before heading into full details in the national network bulletins.

4 Likes

They do? Not aware of that, but then again, I don’t live in Regional Australia lol

2 Likes

Yeah it’s usually nothing more than V/O.

If Nine Local was just regional packs slapped together without mention of anything else it would be like the terrible product of WIN All Australian News -

2 Likes