Nine News Local

Out of curiosity, given your interest in South Coast news, did/do you have an aerial pointed south at your Sydney residence to pick up the local news from WIN and SC Nine?

funny you mention that , i stayed in central Sydney in January, and watched WIN Wollongong and SCA Wollongong, so would assume most people could watch

2 Likes

Nine News Darwin is now doing news opt outs during Nine News Late - great idea.

9 Likes

Yes, many people in my part of Sydney have aerials pointed to Wollongong as well as to Sydney (myself included).

Some examples of Sydney + Wollongong aerial setups nearby me:

Speaking of Central Sydney, I had mentioned previously that I recalled that TVs in Westfield Sydney were tuned to WIN instead of Nine back in the '90s.

4 Likes

Also, I thought Iā€™d mention that many of the clips shown on the local bulletin were repeated on the Sydney bulletin, including the interview with the elderly woman at Batemans Bay, the kangaroos in the snow and the submerged vehicle.

5 Likes

Soā€¦. is the only reason for the new format cost? And cost due to the Covid-19 restrictions?

The promos for it still really confuse me ā€œNine News is going bigger.ā€ To me this just all seems much smaller.
I kinda believe itā€™s just as easy to do what they were doing before; prerecorded segments for local areas, then a live feed to national stories. Definitely for Victoria though.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been able to get the Wollongong stations in most areas of Sydney Iā€™ve lived, even as far north as Chatswood. Reception, at times, hasnā€™t always been reliable.

Have had the local Wollongong bulletins set to series record in recent years. If Iā€™m home in time to catch Overton and Iā€™m not doing anything else I like to watch WIN News in the ad breaks and during sport. If Iā€™m busy I only watch the reports that really interest me.

I used to skip through the first segment of the one hour Illawarra bulletin to see what stories they covered. I always thought the quality of those SC9 local reports was top notch and forced the WIN reporters to up their game. Iā€™ve only ever had an issue with presentation elements of those bulletins. It has been great to watch James Wilson, Rebecca Davis and now Kaitlan Tukukino develop and match it with their metro counterparts. They donā€™t feel out of place at all when they appear on the Sydney bulletins.

Iā€™m interested to see how these new bulletins develop and how it effects the reporting given they now need to appeal to a wider audience. Canā€™t say Iā€™ll watch every day but Iā€™ll regularly check out the Nine News Illawarra Facebook page.

6 Likes

The first story on RVIC (thanks @soundsdifferent for the cap) reported on a company in Ballarat set to mass produce a locally-created ventilator design. A relevant story to the whole state, and it even included a bit of Dan Andrews encouraging locally-produced medical supplies. But the middle chunk of the report inserted mentions of Ballarat businesses that were closed for deep cleaning or COVID scares.

Theyā€™re receiving relevant information from local reporters but it needs to be curated effectively. The Ballarat reporter can still submit the ventilator story but the business closures can instead be submitted as a short script which can be used for a 30 second studio-read piece, or be collated into a single report with other closure information from other regions, or not used if thereā€™s nowhere to put it.

Same story is reported but it removes the hyperlocal framing and makes it more digestable for viewers outside of the relevant area. Instead of a Gippsland viewer going ā€œugh I donā€™t care about businesses closing in Ballarat, I want my newsā€ their attention is on ā€œoh cool, Ballarat is making ventilators for Victoriaā€.

3 Likes

The map needs a few more names as I can still see a bit of NSW.

9 Likes

As @CTC7-9-10 said somewhere up there, these bulletins look like theyā€™re filling local content requirements with the least pre-production possible. As such, itā€™s a stacking nightmare. Thereā€™s very little flow other than COVID-19 being a rolling theme. Very little breathing room, too - sure, itā€™s live, but breaking news will be impossible to cover.

Gavin is being stretched thin with the number of tapings he has to do, so each of them do have to be short - the NBN forecasts are his main priority.

2 Likes

It could actually be easier to put all the noodle updates in one live bulletin and bash them
Out across all local regions - rather than tape 12-15 x regions X 60 second noodle updates X 3-4 times a day - code them, load them in server, schedule, traffic, airā€¦

This is probably less man power therefore cheaper

Genius solution!

So then, shorten millimetres to ā€œmmā€?

2 Likes

What Nine has to be careful of is actually introducing a turn-off factor with a poor quality programme. Viewers wonā€™t watch rubbish, no matter if they live in Dubbo or Drummoyne. There isnā€™t much reason for people to tune-in to Nine Local, so the best they can hope for is viewers staying on from the lead-in programme.

Nine would be better off incorporating the Central West into NBN News - with the opt-out window arrangement.

Then a ā€˜Nine News South Eastā€™ edition at 5.30. Live for the first 9 mins for ā€˜regional newsā€™ such as a bus crash on the Hume Hwy with a live cross; then pre-rec 9 mins (Illa, CBR, Riverina) of local news and sport, then 3 mins recorded local weather.

It would take a little more thought and planning, but I wouldnā€™t have though extra staff would be required.

4 Likes

Has anyone noticed whether the primetime weather updates have been running on the last two nights. I am yet to notice one.

The primetime updates have switched to be statewide compared to the previous local versions.

3 Likes

Bit hard - the Central West is a different license area to Northern NSW!

1 Like

The licence area thing is a non issue - Nine could have the regional SCA bulletin produced in Newcastle if it wanted to.

4 Likes

Trueā€¦but you do think Nine would do that?

What would be the possible reasons these bulletins Donā€™t has openers?

(For example in Sydney they used to do 3 openers, now they do none)

Is the staff staff stretched too thin now?

The EP, Director of Regional news feels a cold open out of Hot Seat is better for audience retention?

Iā€™m trying to think of the practical reasons?

When these bulletins started 2-3 years ago they had no opene. Within a week they did customized opens for each market

Now we are back to no opens

Logic?

1 Like

The Central West is a different license area to Riverina, but currently sharing a simulcast.

My idea was to do Central West as an additional opt-out as NBN does for its existing markets.

All the staff has been added in Sydney.

Your suggestion would probably un-streamline quite a few things and NBN would be staunchly against it unless they were given some extra head count