Nine News Late

Jane Goldsmith presenting tonight’s Late News after being on holidays

7 Likes

Bulletin had a bit of an NBN News feel, with Jane presenting and former NBN News journos Madison Scott and Will Di Fulvio doing crosses from Sydney and Adelaide respectively.

4 Likes

Some caps:

8 Likes

Worth noting next week’s bulletin is scheduled at earlier than usual times. So the results will be worth noting.

Sunday 29 October
09:40 pm Nine News Late

Monday 30 October
10:20 pm Nine News Late

Tuesday 31 October
10:25 pm Nine News Late

Wednesday 1 November
10:20 pm Nine News Late

Thursday 2 November
10:30 pm Nine News Late

10 Likes

In general, the earlier timeslot saw ratings up slightly on recent weeks but overall unremarkable. The was influenced by lower lead ins this week (without The Block). Additionally, Love Island that aired Mon-Wed could be considered an incompatible lead in to news. Thursday’s bulletin was the highest rated (double the result of Wednesday). Nine News Late outrated Seven News Latest on all nights except Tuesday though the timeslots were not the same. On several nights ABC News Late was competitive, outrating one or more of the commercials.

5 Likes
3 Likes

The Latest is such a missed opportunity. By far the best late night bulletin in every sense, but it’s erratic scheduling has meant rather than being “must watch” or regular viewing, it attracts mainly viewers who have left it on 7 after the previous program, or fans who are still up when it comes on.

6 Likes

In addition The Latest is not a classic news bulletin in that it isn’t a sequence of news stories, finance and weather. I feel that this potentially leads to viewers just watching the beginning of the bulletin to catch up on news items and not staying for the discussion that follows. Nine’s is a traditional bulletin that IMO has more potential to keep those seeking news to watch for longer. Just my thoughts though with no evidence to support it. Probably the main thing is that The Latest, more often than not, lives up to its name and starts late.

9 Likes

I like the different stories, panel discussion etc. that are part of The Latest. I guess that’s why I’ve always felt it would be better on earlier than it often is. If it’s 11.30 and I’m still awake, I’ll watch the headlines and go to bed. If it was earlier, like 10.00/10.30, I’d stay watching for the other elements.

3 Likes

Michael Thomson is presenting Monday night bulletin- first time in months

8 Likes
2 Likes

Natalia Cooper presenting tonight’s Late News.

6 Likes

Final scheduled bulletin of 2023 is Thursday 30 November. Last year the bulletin ran until 15 December.

3 Likes

Sunday Night bulletin started at 9:13pm- i believe this is the earliest the late news has aired at this time

5 Likes

Nine News Late is wrapping up for the year tonight, as seen on Jane’s Instagram account

5 Likes

Also see

3 Likes

From Wednesday:

From last night:

3 Likes

Incredible how early Australian news bulletins knock off for the summer.

8 Likes

These are just the supplementary ones. At least we still have news over the summer unlike NZ who all go on leave for months spare for the 6pm news.

4 Likes

Our TV networks knock off for summer early for everything, not just news.

All the most popular programs have already finished for the year.

Only sport and 6pm news keeps them somewhat relevant from now until mid-late January.

4 Likes