Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

This weekend Queensland received local editions of the First at Five News hosted by Darren Curtis. Saturday because of the elections and Sunday because of the NRL.

Did anyone see Ken Sutcliffe looking like a stunned mullet at the end of the sports preview in the 6pm Sydney bulletin tonight? It was quite a sight!

He was silent for about 3 seconds before Pete said “Thanks Ken!” and then Ken says “Oh sorry, I forgot the tag!” … They both had a good laugh.

2 Likes

Yep, of course I saw it. Peter’s response, Ken’s reaction and the follow-up after the actual Sport segment was absolutely priceless! :smiley:

Meanwhile on the Melbourne bulletin the phone under the desk fell off the hook onto the ground.
Tony jones then handed it to Pete at the hand over to the sport preview.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Yep, I believe that the national bulletins and ACA now share the same set/studio but use different lighting/plasma backdrops.

1 Like

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:291, topic:67”]
Yep, I believe that the national bulletins and ACA now share the same set/studio but use different lighting/plasma backdrops.
[/quote] Hold on- what happened to the newsroom set that was just updated. The set used last night, only referring to @killy06 's image, was from studio 22 where Today and ACA are presented. ACA and national Nine News share the same desk which moves from studio 3 to studio 22 each day. If not, can I please have a cap of the national news from that set, thanks @SydneyCityTV

1 Like

No, ACA is definitely now presented from the same studio as the national bulletins since the set change for ACA in February - it’s no longer a setup just for news.

They wouldn’t move the desk from studio to studio, they’d just change the camera angles around or maybe move the giant plasma so it covers up the news exchange background for ACA.

I don’t agree that ACA is presented from Studio 3, size wise it’s a shoe box, with the wide angles and sweeping shots used on ACA, I just don’t think they’d be able to do it from the national news set. The screen looks like the one used for Today in Studio 22, and it would be pointless dragging in a screen to cover up the news exchange when it’s sitting there available.

Who’s to say they don’t have two of those desks, one for national news, one for ACA.

2 Likes

While I’d usually agree, I’ve been reliably informed (via a source that I won’t be revealing publically online) that ACA indeed uses Studio 3.

Proof of this is in the fact that this year, ACA has been allowed to use it’s normal set on Wednesday nights when The NRL Footy Show has been going live to air with a studio audience from 8.30pm. If ACA was still using Studio 22, we would’ve seen ACA using the “alternative set” (same one that Nine News Now uses) in Studio 1 on Wednesday nights similar to how the Thursday night editions of ACA in previous years have been presented from the “alternative set” because The NRL Footy Show needed to use Studio 22.

5 Likes

No it doesn’t. The big screen in Studio 22 is curved while the screen ACA has used since the beginning of this year is completely flat.

I’m not sure if the special bulletin from last night is available online anywhere but you could definitely see the national set off to the right of the desk. They must have grown that space to fit it in.

It’s a shame that we don’t see the big screen used for national bulletins.

2 Likes

I like this live shot from the side of the gallery

2 Likes

Easter theme graphic :slightly_smiling:

4 Likes

For the final time this year until November/December, QLD received a special local edition of Nine News First at Five this Sunday presented by Sophie Walsh.

Fortunately for QLD, it would have started on time today too, since the NRL game (for once!) didn’t run overtime!

Tonight’s cricket coverage is coming from the ACA set tonight. So if that is also the national news set, is the usual sports backdrop (the dotty globe) actually part of the video wall?

1 Like

Yep, here’s a cap.

1 Like

I don’t think so, you could see some dotty panels off to the right of the video wall during the special bulletin last Tuesday.

Either that or the backdrop behind the sport position could be a combination of physical panels and graphics on the screen?

Either way, it’s clearly different to how it looked in Jan:

January (capped by SydCityTV):

Today:

3 Likes

Maybe its just a screen behind him and its a blurred graphic in the second one?