Nine News Content and Appearance

Not sure if 9 Sydney/Brisbane do these 3:50ishpm Updates?

4 Likes

Brisbane has regular updates/promos at 3:50 pm

3 Likes

Oh, I agree about the two separate bulletins. But, if they are going to persist with having both the 5pm and 6pm presenters in the closing shot, neither the cold Adelaide close nor the clunky Perth handover works.

I’d probably go with something like…

You get the idea. Obviously the same would be done in Adelaide, just with the relevant presenter names.

Of course if 5pm bulletins ever make it to the East Coast, Nine would likely have to do a pre-recorded version at 5.30pm for the regions and perhaps even a generic version of the 5pm/6pm handover in NSW (because you know…the 6pm news isn’t branded as “Nine News” in a good chunk of the state) but we’ll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

3 Likes

The handover should just be Monika saying “ready…steady…GO!” to that camera.

17 Likes

Perhaps they could have Monika close the bulletin, farewell viewers and then go straight to a preview of that night’s A Current Affair episode, and then cut to Michael Thomson beginning the 6pm bulletin?

Monika: And that’s Nine News at Five for this Tuesday. I’m Monika Kos, thanks for your company.

Closer music

(Preview of tonight’s A Current Affair)

Nine News at 6pm starts

2 Likes

I don’t get why it has to be so complicated? The more things you throw in there the more time people have a chance to change over to Seven. Short and sweet is how it should be.

9 Likes

They should have a false floor behind the news desk, Monika gets lowered down and at the same time Michael gets raised up from below to take over :grin:

23 Likes

Yes. It shall be called the ritualistic newsroom presenter restructure archetype. And will be a several thousand dollar investment.

1 Like

oh no no, that give viewers a chance to flick to 7. that’s not what they want.

8 Likes

Yeah, in theory it’s actually fine. Just needs the scripting to be tighter and quicker.

It’s hard because you don’t want to signal it’s the end of the news but you also want to differentiate the two bulletins.

8 Likes

They wouldn’t do that. That’s an invitation for viewers to flick channels.

2 Likes

Yeah, I see what you’re saying.

OnAir summed it up perfectly, it’s about balancing not having viewers change the channel and differentiating between the two bulletins.

1 Like

I like the transition, especially with the drums and panning into Michael. I think the wording from Monika is a little wordy - maybe “Thanks for your company, 9NEWS at six starts now”

1 Like

Bit of a flashback moment on Nine News: First at Five Perth with Natalia Cooper joining Monica in the studio.

14 Likes

The problem I have with the handover is not so much what they say but how it looks. For example it looks ridiculous to have Michael Thomson (or in Adelaide’s case, Brenton and Kate) in shot when they’re not saying anything or just carrying on their preparation which makes it look quite awkward. They should just have the 5pm presenter standing in the usual catwalk position and conclude the bulletin there before cutting to the 6pm presenters.

1 Like
7 Likes
  1. Don’t say “Time now for Nine News at Six. Coming to you live right now.” Sounds weird. Just say “Time now for Nine News at Six with Michael Thompson”.
  2. Fix that zoom to Michael, or get rid of it completely and do a titlecard.
3 Likes

Exactly. It just needs to be a snappy couple of seconds. Not a whole 3 sentence thing like what’s being mentioned above.

1 Like

Fun fact: Monika and Natalia also used to work together at Channel Seven, when the latter was recruited to replace the retired Jeff Newman.

12 Likes