Nine News Content and Appearance

Alice Monfries as well

1 Like

I highly doubt Nine would let go of Hitch as some members have suggested. MAYBE pair him up with Alicia but letting him go will be very bad for the network and make many viewers switch to Seven. Hitch will leave when he chooses to retire.

Besides, the people high up at Nine love Hitch. If he could do the News forever then he would. And everyone at Nine actually wants him to stay as long as he can, they would 100% not fire him.

1 Like

Do we think there’s a chance Dougal will replace Hitch when the time comes? Alicia’s numbers on Fridays haven’t been great so maybe Nine execs will take what they believe the “safe” option is and stick with a male reader.

But I think Hitch, TJ and Livinia work well as a trio and have great chemistry.

1 Like

They should pair him with his successor (assuming Alicia) to get viewers accustomed to her on weeknights.
It then gives Nine the option of either replacing Hitch at time of retirement (if they want to keep a duo), or having Alicia go solo.
Hitch and Alicia were great together when covering the Queen’s death.

1 Like

I don’t think so. If Dougal replaced Hitch then the ratings would drop even more than if Alicia replaced Hitch. It would cement Nine News Melbourne as 2nd or even 3rd in Melbourne behind Seven/ABC. It would not be a safe option for ratings.

I hope Nine pairs Hitch with Alicia if there is a major News event (ala Hitch/Jo Hall with big events like 9/11 etc.) However I doubt they would make it double-header permanently. They would also have to extend the backdrop as it is only for one person currently, and change the desk for two built-in computers like Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth’s desk.

This year marks 20 straight years they’ve been on air together, and their news-sport-weather line-up is the longest serving incumbent of any of the metro markets.

Next longest is Lofthouse-Downes-Lewis-Youngberry which has been unchanged since June 2009 (Lofthouse in for Paige).

4 Likes

God no. Terrible idea… too inexperienced.

7 Likes

They could pair up Alicia and Dougal duo for weeknights

Someone suggested poaching Mike Amor or Michael Rowland to read the news with Alicia on weeknights. Dougal Could take weekends.

of the two I think Rowland is the more likely to move to Nine; I just can’t see Mike leaving Channel Seven. That’s just my opinion, only.

Fascinating discussion. Really interested to see what happens. 7 Sydney has been making inroads too.

2 Likes

There is always so much talk on here about poaching talent from other networks. Is that really the only option to success?

1 Like

Here’s a good example: Nine lured Melissa Downes from Seven at the end of 2001, with the view of grooming her for a news presenting role. She eventually stepped up to presenting weekends between 2006-08, before being promoted to weeknights in 2009 when Heather Foord stepped down to spend more time with family.

She and Andrew Lofthouse (who joined Nine from the ABC at the end of 2008 and replaced Bruce Paige the following June) are credited for Nine’s news ratings success in Queensland, impressively turning things around in the wake of Choppergate in 2011 as well.

5 Likes

Michael Rowland would be an interesting choice.

How about Helen Kapalos? Or has she been out of the game for too long now? Have her on weekends with Alicia+Dougal on weeknights.

I reckon Dougal would work if he was paired with someone more experienced like Alicia.

I presume no mention of the Michael Clarke incident on 9 News tonight?

If the circumstances are right… Mike would make the move. I can’t see Mitchell retiring anytime soon, plus more pay and negotiating better work conditions is all it takes.

It’s business. Good luck to him if he’s given the opportunity.

A lot of presenter talk happening in the “content and appearance” thread……

1 Like

My fault I suppose :stuck_out_tongue:
I guess that the presenter line-up must be the biggest issue for Nine Melbourne right now?

1 Like

In this case I’d argue presenter is related to content.

4 Likes

How has this happened? This is an error right, surely it must be?

3 Likes