Nine News Content and Appearance

Referring to the previous breaking news opener used in Queensland

Though the backdrop wasn’t exclusive to Brisbane.

2 Likes

Oh my eyes! Yes that IS bad!

So do we prefer the red or white background of the breaking news?

White TBH. At least it isn’t all red.

5 Likes

All that red is too much.

1 Like

Early Edition this morning from news room. There was a hint of background activity in the audio.

Changeover to Today

16 Likes

So much nicer.

Nine really should implement that backdrop into its daytime bulletins. Shits all over the standard city backdrop they have atm. They should of never moved away from the news exchange backdrop at Willoughby and moved to the swirls.

17 Likes

I would love to have Lara stayed for Early Edition and then Brooke moved to News & stay in Entertainment and then Alex for Sport. After the AO finishes up.

3 Likes

Going over how Seven News Melbourne has overtaken Nine in the past year, I can see why Nine has sunk to second place so quickly.

I’m still an avid viewer of Nine News but lately the bulletin has felt quite stale.
Nine’s main problem is their presenting lineup. Seven’s lineup is really strong - I’m not a fan of Peter Mitchell personally, but either way they have a great lineup of weekend and fill-in presenters.
Nine has let this go - Nine only really has Alicia and Dougal (unless Brett McLeod returns).
And although I hate to say it (because I love Hitch) - I do think it’s nearly time to find a replacement or at least have him anchor alongside Alicia/someone else.
General banter/chemistry between presenters on Seven is far superior and helps to liven the bulletin up rather than feeling like the same lines being read every night.

The mood/lighting on Nine’s set in recent years also doesn’t help. It’s feels a bit too dim and lifeless despite how nice the set is.
Looked a lot better generally when it was first launched.
They were also quite experimentative with different angles and segments but now only seem to use a common few (even small things like a headline recap at the 30 minute mark would be a nice touch - this is one thing which 10 has the advantage for making their bulletin feel more dynamic despite being cut/paste nowadays).
As we’ve seen on the Seven thread, they seem to constantly try different angles on their set.

Graphics I don’t think are an issue. Seems that people are quite split on whether Seven or Nine has the cleaner package. They both have their pros/cons IMO, but it would be nice to see some less generic titlecards etc on Nine’s package.
I’ve also mentioned repeatedly how Nine should invest in a larger liveshot of the city like Sydney’s set - would look night and day better on the big screen.

Does anyone have their own opinions as to why Seven has overtaken Nine recently?

3 Likes

Not sure if story selection is an issue?

Last night Nine’s headline story was the QANTAS plane “mayday” in Syndey while Seven was an AFL story - the Syndey story was fourth into the bulletin.

1 Like

AFL I think would definitely be one factor, but imo story selection seems fine. From what I’ve seen in the past Nine seems to have a better ordering of stories (but I guess it can be hit and miss between them both).

One example which comes to mind was the toxic spinach last month - it was the top story on Nine as “breaking news” whereas from memory it was in the second story block on Seven.

2 Likes

could also be the reporters as well

3 Likes

It’s not the first time it’s happened, and Nine managed to claw back before

I suspect Seven Melbourne having a very aggressively conservative agenda at times, particularly during the peak of the pandemic may have brought some viewers over and got them rusted on / loyal.

I personally don’t think it’s Hitch, but I know a lot of members here are quite fixated on his eventual retirement, so I’m not surprised that people might claim that he’s at fault. On the flip side of this I suspect Nine is really concerned that once Hitch does retire, that the numbers will collapse even further and Seven will completely dominate.

6 Likes

Some good points.
Yes I agree that I don’t think Hitch is the main problem but they definitely need a stronger presenter lineup once the time inevitably comes.
Seven really nailed it by having a dual-presenter weekend lineup in Melb/Syd/Adel and it seems to have paid off handsomely when Jane Doyle retired in Adelaide.

2 Likes

Hopefully permanent. I still miss the 2010-2017 news exchange backdrop.

TBH Nine News Melbourne feels flatter compared to 2021. The set looks a bit dull since they switched back to the white lighting, and the graphics are starting to look tired. The bulletin also feels pre-recorded and slow. Also the fact Rebecca Maddern went back to Seven is not helping things.

Another thing is the lack of experienced presenters. Nine right now only have Hitch, Alicia and Dougal. They could use Jo and Tony but they don’t want to anymore. The 4th in-line is now just a random reporter compared to Seven who have more experienced presenters. And when Hitch retires, if Brett McLeod decides not to move back to Melbourne then GTV will only have 2.

Lets compare how many experienced presenters each Nine station has:

TCN: Peter Overton, Georgie Gardener, Mark Burrows, Davina Smith, Deb Knight, Lizzie Pearl, Charles Croucher, Amelia Adams and more.
QTQ: Andrew Lofthouse, Melissa Downes, Jonothan Uptin, Allison Arriotti.
STW: Michael Thompson, Tracy Vo, Monika Kos, Michael Gennovese
NWS: Brenton Ragless, Kate Collins, Will McDonald, Edward Godfrey
NBN: Gavin Morris, Natasha Beyersdorf, Jane Goldsmith, Tyson Cotrill
GC: Paul Taylor, Eva Millic
NTD: Paul Murphy
GTV: Peter Hitchener, Alicia Loxley, Dougal Beatty

As you can see, GTV has the least amount of presenters of metro + NBN but have more than NTD/GC. The thing is that NTD/GC have a market population of 150k and 600k. The other markets have a lower population yet they all have more experienced presenters than Melbourne. GTV needs to poach someone from Seven or Ten.

1 Like

Does anyone have a upload of today’s early edition?

Lead in has also had an impact on news ratings in Melbourne.

2 Likes

Just because they do it overseas doesn’t mean we need to blindly copy here. Why can’t we come up with something original? And I’m talking more generally about presentation here.

They seem to have become more TCN/QTQ in recent years.

Content on Gtv is pretty average now and sensationalist.

The reporters are generally speaking quite young and not well known. It’s a much younger team than Seven.

And the reporters seem to love yelling the news!

3 Likes

*Wendy Kingston (Even though she’s freelancing), Aislin Kriukelis.

Natalia Cooper, also does anyone know if Ebony Fernanda is still at STW?

3 Likes