Nine News Content and Appearance

It gave me the impression that they weren’t even in the same studio.

@eddel might be right though, it could have been that the wide angle shot wasn’t used when it should have been?

They have been doing this shots every weekday during the afternoon in Sydney for a new months now

I always thought it was pre-recorded just like their 1-2 interviews they do on the same bulletin (you can tell from the background of Sydney Harbour)

Must be an Nine Queensland promo :wink:

1 Like

Issue with Andrew’s microphone at the start of Queensland bulletin, Melissa read the entire first story intro.

Maybe because it’s from Aldi?

5 Likes

Andrew’s microphone malfunctioned for the headlines tonight which seemed to distract him. He missed the cue for which camera while Melissa was straight into the first story.

7 Likes

No idea why they let him continue to read. It was obvious his mic wasn’t on from the first headline. A “read Andrew’s lines” down Melissa’s ear would have helped. Glad they did by the lead intro.

What does “First on Nine” really stand for? Two stories were touted with the badge tonight.

It might mean that Nine was first with the story, but to the Melbourne newsroom it replaces the “Exclusive” badge that all bulletins use; the presenters labelling these tagged stories ‘exclusives’. Maybe because it’s synonymous with their tagline “See it First on Nine News”…

However, these stories were definitely not exclusive.

A story on Nine News Melbourne about a car crashing into a Dandenong dealership:

But Paul Dowsley was on the scene and it seems Seven has similar vision…

Nine News Melbourne went on to showcase a special consumer report of a Supa IGA opening in Delahey. They presented some price comparisons and had experts talking:

But Seven News also visited the Supa IGA and had a report later in the bulletin. They arguably had more footage of the actual store:

6 Likes

Potentially the order in which the stories aired? If 9 aired it earlier in the bulletin (how they’d know 7’s rundown is beyond me) they could technically claim first on 9, even if 7 had the story later?

But I have noticed that the use of ‘exclusive’ seems to be fairly liberal in QLD these days for both 9 and 7. They both regularly claim exclusives over the other… who then airs the report 10 minutes later. I wonder if unique vision (even if only seconds) is enough to brand the report as ‘exclusive’?

I guess they figure that no one is watching both bulletins at the same time so no one would know if it’s inaccurate.

1 Like

Same story was shown in Queensland in addition to a few other “First on Nine” stories. They possibly count the 4pm news - air part of the story there first.

what seven did in Melbourne yesterday are called ‘spoilers’. Nine promoted the supavalu story over the weekend, had interviews with the store owners and a first look at the store. Seven barged in on Monday to steal the thunder, no interviews with store owners and rolled out Gary Mortimer as a dial-a-grab. The caryard story, again, seven ‘followed’ nines lead after being caught on the backfoot. It’s tv news people.

4 Likes

Sydney and Brisbane broke into programming 12:15 ish

6 Likes

Nope. Exclusive has been used tonight for the Rex Hunt road rage story.

Your theory is debunked :frowning:

LOL at this story choice as ‘Exclusive’ :rofl:

Did Lizzie just happen to wear a Manly coloured top as a coincidence?

Well they alone had the footage of him going after a driver with a garden tool telling him he’s going to kill them….

I think a well known figure going after someone like that is news…

Sorry should’ve had a look at the story. I just thought that a pure ‘road rage’ story by a celebrity is very tabloid by nature but by the sounds of it this is far from just road rage.

1 Like

Peter Hitchener did say the report was exclusive, and that fact was advertised during the live cross.

But the “First on Nine” badge was used during the report - they never seem to use an “Exclusive” badge like the other markets…

4 Likes

Sure but they have a habit of using first on when other states rarely / never do.

There also comes a point when the story is no longer exclusive and it should be dropped. Just because you promo’d the story doesn’t mean it is still exclusive if your competitor has it too and has been showing it all day.

3 Likes

“First On” is still pretty prevalent in Queensland. We even get “First on Gold Coast” from both networks. This was the other night.

4 Likes

Umm… not sure if you looked at your caps but there is also the word “Exclusive” in the red box above the super…. Which was on screen for half the report

First on 9News has been around for almost 10 years which it originated as “see it first”. Don’t really get why we are up in arms about it now….