Nine News Content and Appearance

Kind of funny that TCN is now all over the abduction story considering they didn’t cover news of the girl’s disappearance in the Sydney bulletin on the day it happened.

5 Likes

Nine’s Afternoon News in Sydney dedicated the entire bulletin of the story of Cleo Smith.

Michael Thomson was live with Davina Smith.
She also mentioned special coverage will continue at 8.40pm tonight.

5 Likes

i think peter Overton will be over the moon tonight at 6pm happy and relived

Obviously a very significant story, without wanting to get into a debate about the meaning of the word ‘miracle’. Enough to talk about for a whole bulletin? Somehow I doubt. Especially when your PM is making an ass of himself on the world stage.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Exactly.

Scott Morrison embarrassing Australia on a global stage should be the top story on tonight’s news bulletins, as that will have far more long-lasting implications than the obviously good news story that Cleo Smith’s rescue is/was.

3 Likes

Three hours of continuous news?

Sounds like overkill to be honest.

5 Likes

My thoughts exactly as per the Seven News thread. This is just nuts. I’m already sick of seeing the story appear every time I refresh Facebook.

2 Likes

from what I have read for 9Perth, an extra 30 mins of news coverage at 7, plus a special bulletin at 8:40.

Over on 7Perth, a special Flashpoint at 7pm (bumping H&A), and The Latest will be covering it again at 9:15 (bumping America’s got talent).

Overkill could end up being a bit of an understatement

2 Likes

It a ratings grab by Channel 7 and Channel 9

2 Likes

Pretty much. Gotta watch ABC or SBS if you actually want to know important news this evening.

1 Like

I think that’s a bit unfair. Cleo’s rescue is important and although it is being a bit overdone that is because people do care about it.

Scomo making an ass of himself is nothing new. A day of good news instead of political bs isn’t a bad thing.

10 Likes

Well said Kevin.

4 Likes

7 and 9 will still cover local events on their 6P.M bulletin tonight, I can understand why they led with Cleo Smith because it’s a national story. They still have more local stories then the ABC, but its when they do all those special bulletins that is when it is overkill. Also it is a break from covid 19 which has been in the news cycle for the past 2 years.

3 Likes

So Rolling coverage can only be used for bad news then? I know the majority of Perth will be tuning in to the special bulletins tonight. Social Media has been exploding.

4 Likes

Rolling coverage should be used when the situation is unfolding or when developments are happening. Personally I just think that it gets a bit over top when they just start repeating the same information over and over again.

5 Likes

Some rolling coverage is fine, but large amounts of rolling coverage is best suited to a changing or developing situation.

I’d be pissed off if I was 7 or 9 journalist in Glasgow who had spent the day getting takes on international climate change and their relevance to Australia and a fairly significant diplomatic situation, only for it not to be mentioned…

3 Likes

Exactly.

Is Cleo Smith a story worthy of news coverage? Of course. Is it deserving of all this rolling coverage at the expense of more important stories? Absolutely not!

3 Likes

What is “important” depends on who you ask.

Personally I’m tired of hearing about Scomo being an idiot but since that is a daily occurrence there will, sadly, be plenty more of that. Giving something else priority for a day or two isn’t an issue for me.

1 Like

As much as this is an important news event and certainly the biggest story of the day, I am of the opinion that rolling news coverage should only be used for a continuing news story (like the Lindt Caffe siege in Sydney) that is unfolding and changing as the day goes on.

Cleo being found and returned to her family is the best possible ending to a terrible act, but it is the end of this story until the perpetrator is put before the courts.
Cover the great news story that it is, certainly. Rolling coverage, probably not.

This mornings rolling coverage was painfully pointless as there was nothing new to be added. As was obvious with the endless replays of the same footage and interviews with the hosts and reporters endlessly repeating the same stories, which will be endlessly repeated again tonight.
Just my point of view - rant over.

And having said all that, I will probably be watching again tonight.

4 Likes