Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Nine Adelaide used it too for when the cricket was here, I thought I was watching another station when I first heard it…:flushed:

4 Likes

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:1376, topic:149”]
What happened at Nine News Sydney in 2016? Automation, the 60 minutes fiasco and fill-in presenters on the bulletin very frequently (especially in the 2nd half of the year), that’s what.
[/quote] I am hoping that the new set, minor changes in presentation, new team member(s),stronger primetime and a better lead-in will help Nine News Sydney in 2017 back to being strongly number 1.

3 Likes

Same here, although I think we can remain cautiously optimistic.

Nine News has gone through many major changes before and they undoubtedly will go through many more in the future, because that’s how the broadcasting industry works. Some of Nine News’ more recent/current/near future major generational changes have been (or will be) ones which mark the end of an era, while others signal a promise for bigger and better things to come.

It’s unclear whether or not their ratings will strengthen or weaken in 2017, absolutely anything can happen between now and the end of the year! But I would definitely say for sure that Nine News are actually making the sorts of major generational changes many (myself included) on Media Spy have been wanting Seven News to do for years!

With over six decades of experience in news and broadcasting, I think we can trust Nine News (and the network itself, to an extent) to maintain a strong, longterm commitment to Sydney and indeed Australia as a whole.

2 Likes

I have also noticed that Nine News Sydney have ‘slacked’ off on their promos in the second half the year.

2 Likes

Nine News Sydney also didn’t do much with their On-Air graphics for a good chunk of 2016, but then October 9 happened…

Perth is a little bit foggy tonight.

11 Likes

but then, they’ve never had the foggiest in the west…

That explains their ratings.

1 Like

I am sure it was fine on Seven… :wink:

2 Likes

Here is the Seven Perth version in comparison (at the same time).

4 Likes

Was light rain/drizzle. Though towards the end of the news there was quite some low cloud that covered the top of the skyscrapers… even with next to no visibility it still beats seven news Perth animated loop.

6 Likes

I agree.

Thankfully, Seven have since realised that a liveshot is absolutely essential for a 6pm bulletin in Sydney! The two loops they used between July 2014 and July 2016 looked shocking IMO! :confused:

1 Like

Why though? I’ve always preferred a nice postcard backdrop o some average shot taken from a tower somewhere.

1 Like

I’m not sure about everyone else, but a lovely sunny-looking static image or backdrop loop of the city on a rainy day doesn’t quite work for me. Not to mention that loops/images generally age rather quickly when new buildings, etc come up in the city!

2 Likes

I didn’t think they were too bad, certainly not the worst thing about the bulletins at the time.

But yes, the mismatching conditions weren’t great, especially during the summer!

3 Likes

True. I actually wished that Seven News Sydney would have a backdrop of Martin Place (LIVE), like Seven’s relaunch after the 2004 olympics. Their backdrop is much better now, but is essentially the same as Nine’s backdrop. Wish they’d be more original, just like this era.

10 Likes

But what do you mean doesn’t work for you? You can’t concentrate?

I think a live backdrop gives a feeling of it being current and relevant. You don’t expect a live 11pm news bulletin to have a sunny midday backdrop, so why should 6pm be any different?

5 Likes

Even during Winter, how good do Sydney’s liveshots look? Particularly when the Vivid light festival is on in Late May/Early June! :slight_smile:

It’s a shame that set was relatively shortlived, partly because (if I’m not mistaken) Seven News Sydney lost some ground in the ratings during the later part of 2004, after the relaunch happened.

National Nine News introduced a liveshot of Sydney Harbour as the backdrop as part of their largely chroma keyed-based set (I’m glad we’ve moved on from that!) in the 2nd half of 2004…I think on the date or around the same time that Seven News had their relaunch? That’s probably what inspired Seven to bring in a liveshot of it’s own when the wooden set was launched in February 2005.

Incase it wasn’t obvious, I don’t really like loops/static backdrop images (unless they’re done particularly well) used instead of proper liveshots. Each to their own, I suppose.

3 Likes

I thought Seven were the first to do the live shot behind the presenter in Sydney?

At the end of the day, nothing will ever be as bad as Southern Cross News SA’s backdrop.

10 Likes