Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Oh my god. It’s a light 20 second segment towards the bulletin. Calm down.

Maybe some of you need to loosen up and do the dance lol

6 Likes

So, you’d be happy for Pete Hitchener to cover one of Raskall’s stories if he called in sick? At least it’d be funny.

I think a witted comment and a little chuckle is a little different to jumping around in the news studio. They’re newsreaders, not personalities. The story became about them and that is never a good thing.

I’m surprised quite a few of you have supported it actually, despite mocking Tim Bailey’s antics on 10 for years.

I’m not defending them but I don’t see how it’s anything significant considering it was only a 20 second piece that was similar to a fluff piece at the end of a bulletin. Plus it was pre-recorded with everything else running as it should so I don’t see the issue.

It’s not as if they were doing it live like Bailey does every weeknight and tortures viewers through this antics and crazed moves when he was supposed to be presenting the weather. At least Andrew and Melissa were dancing for dancing and joining in the fun. Now if they read the news while dancing, then that would be a different story altogether.

3 Likes

I don’t think you can compare this to Tim Bailey. He does it daily and there is no reason for it.

Andrew and Melissa did the dance as apart of a community challenge. It’s a one time thing. They don’t dance their way out of the studio as an outro every night.

3 Likes

Nine News Qld promo - “delivering complete bulletins” - don’t know what that means.

Amazingly similar palette to Seven’s latest

Gold Coast also has a newish promo

7 Likes

Nice to know that. I thought that they were only producing partial bulletins.

13 Likes

I’d much prefer impartial bulletins.

7 Likes

I would dispute the “facts not fear” tagline, something pretty much every media organisation is guilty of however.

Some of the sensationalist reporting that occurs invokes more fear than it does in representing fact.

1 Like

Right, now have a go at me for my bias … but you have to agree…

I’m glad 10 avoids the sensationalist route.

4 Likes

To expand further on this, Nine are reportedly wanting to cut the news division’s $180 million budget by as much as $30 or $40 million.

1 Like

You’d think 60 Minutes, regional bulletins and local Afternoon News would be the products most at risk of being axed?

2 Likes

And according to the snippet of the Daily Telegraph article, it is because they are not broadcasting the NRL.

And while I have kept saying I doubt they are axed, now it sounds a lot like they will be.

3 Likes

It would seem that way. Nine still needs Australian content to fill the schedule so national news programs would be cheaper, you would think.

2 Likes

Already Nine News Now has copped the axe without so much of an announcement from Nine.

I think it was warranted, given that bulletin was followed by the local afternoon news which IMO was simply overload.

5 Likes

When discussing current/recent Sydney TV news ratings, it’s really important to keep in mind that just about every news service has experienced increased figures of late - some of the viewers that have been tuning in recently are probably people who otherwise haven’t regularly watched a 6pm bulletin in a decade. It would be reasonable to assume that many of the viewers who’ve switched back to Seven recently aren’t necessarily disgruntled Nine viewers, many may be people who haven’t really had their TV on for an evening bulletin since 2010 or 2011.

Graphics wise, as much as I personally think Nine’s current package doesn’t quite hit the mark I don’t think that’s a particularly major issue - Sydneysiders flocked to Nine during the Late 1990s/Early 2000s while they had a somewhat dated look compared to the fresh and bright graphics on Seven & Ten at the time.

I would agree that Nine News Sydney needs a new promotional strategy, but my preference is probably for something a bit more community minded than the bombastic campaigns we’ve come to expect over the last decade or so.

3 Likes

Early News:

11 Likes

Should’ve turned the camera to the right a bit and removed that screen. Then boom!

5 Likes

Its the Today set, they are not going to change something for half an hour.

2 Likes

At first glance I actually thought that was a graphic edited in, not a screen! :laughing:

Well I mean, they used to do that for all their bulletins, so I don’t see how it can be hard to move a screen and turn a camera…

1 Like