Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Sydney promo

7 Likes

Iā€™m seeing something different. News numbers now are about the same as 2016 so there is no need to go back 10 years. And at that time Nine was well ahead in Sydney. So it seems that Seven News is up at the expense of Nine.

Here are some numbers from the first Monday in May for Sydney.

2 May 2016

Nine 6:00 326,000
Nine 6.30 331,000
Seven 6:00 270,000
Seven 6.30 264,000

4 May 2015

Nine 6:00 342,000
Nine 6.30 349,000
Seven 6:00 247,000
Seven 6.30 271,000

4 Likes

This ad does not reflect reality, or at least not for a very long term. Itā€™s all good and well to be positive, but this is just wishful thinking.

1 Like

Melbourne are still playing promos with the 2006 theme.

2 Likes

If every news service has experienced increased figures of late, then why isnā€™t 9ā€™s margin big and in the lead?

The Chase has made inroads into 7NEWS and 9NEWS has terrible promotions - also TODAY isnā€™t probably helping either.

9 needs a new heavy hitting promotional campaign with new graphics that look more serious than lifestyle and more ā€˜firstsā€™ - this trick works.

3 Likes
5 Likes

In reading that, what i sense is that 60 Minutes (especially) will basically use Skype for more stories rather than sending the reporter on location.

Interesting comment about Today as well and whether they will stay in the automated studio or not.

1 Like

While itā€™s suited during these current times, a reliance on services like that is going to diminish their (9ā€™s) product.

10 Likes

Nine just needs to keep its news platforms alive and ride this Covid 19 wave out.

If this means conducting skype interviews and utilizing the automatic studio, then so be it.

Its important to keep the foundations of the news department going. You can always re-build later.

8 Likes

I donā€™t agree. Look at overseas broadcasters like the BBC, they use video conferencing to great effect.

The key will be using it to evolve their content and introduce new voices rather than just being a cheaper version of what they already have.

4 Likes

Presuming that the regional services are only in hibernation and havenā€™t been quietly axed, a really good idea which probably wonā€™t be seriously considered by Nine would be to utilise their regionally based reporters for the capital city/national bulletins on a more regular basis. The idea of sending TCN/GTV/QTQ reporters to the regions (particularly evident with TCN coverage of Northern NSW news) for each and every regional story (even relatively minor ones) the capital city/national bulletins want to do coverage of seems outdated and probably an additional cost which could be better spent elsewhere.

Using video conferencing rather than having guests in the studio? Iā€™m actually surprised that hasnā€™t already become a permanent feature of our news services given the major increases to security networks have had to make in recent years, even before COVID-19 was an issue.

As for Today continuing to use an automated studio, I think itā€™s been obvious for some time now that it would eventually happen on a permanent basis. If Seven can seemingly manage just about everything from a single studio at Martin Place, Iā€™m sure Nine will be able to handle having most things from either Studio 21 or 23.

2 Likes

I get what you mean, but itā€™s actually proving to be the oppositeā€¦

Media Watch did a bit of a focus on how once news organisations have cut their resources, they donā€™t ever return. This was mainly talking about print journalism, but I think itā€™s a valid observation for TV too. Look at 10, theyā€™ve never recovered from the waves of cuts they had - even when they tried to rebuild, the structure couldnā€™t be supported.

9 Likes

Sydney promo for the National Cabinet meeting:

4 Likes

Whatā€™s this ā€œFirst Ladyā€ BS.

Sheā€™s no such thing.

7 Likes

Surprised that tabloid news doesnā€™t know much about our system of government?

3 Likes

Itā€™s just a colloquial term for an Australian context that compares some similarities to the First Lady of the U.S. Just like Tim Mathieson was nicknamed the "First Blokeā€™, itā€™s just an unofficial title

1 Like

yes everybody know what it means, I think the issue is painting PMā€™s wives as some sort of leader, and why there would be some dumb, no newsy story on her.

1 Like

Because Nineā€™s parenting website had an interview with her too. The Essential Kids ā€œscoopā€ was in both The Sun-Herald and The Sunday Age so makes sense there was a TV piece too.

Not saying it should have been a story, mind you.

1 Like
7 Likes