Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

…and wasn’t that a massive success? Mark Ferguson defected to Seven within the first week (I’d have to imagine THISafternoon was a major reason in his decision to switch network) while the show was cancelled after 12 episodes - right up there with The Verdict as being one of Nine’s biggest ever News & Current Affairs blunders which should never have made it past the pilot stage!

And wasn’t that a great success for Nine, they were able to offload an average presenter without much problems and replace him with a better presenter in Georgie Gardner which would’ve no doubt improved the bulletin.

6 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, Ian Ross still presented Sunday night bulletins on Seven in 2009 so I’d imagine that he was winning (or at the very least, competitive in) those ratings wise.

The tide probably started to turn in 2010 when Seven had Mark Ferguson competing against Georgie Gardner on Saturday nights and Peter Overton on Sunday nights. When Seven reverted back to the traditional weeknight & weekend presenter rosters due to Chris Bath’s Sunday Night commitments, Nine were smart enough to think “We’ll probably rate well if we have our top newsreader on Sunday nights, especially with the NRL lead-in six months a year!” and that eventually paid off for them across the week.

3 Likes

Yes that’s correct. That was because Chris Bath started presenting Sunday Night, plus I also think it could’ve also been an attempt to pry viewers away from Nine’s Sunday night bulletins, which got a boost from the NRL lead-ins (which proved successful on either side of Roscoe’s time at Seven).

Late to the party, but this was the backdrop they used for news in Melbourne in around 2005:

This was taken from a YouTube video recently uploaded by Nine regarding the AFL ‘whispers in the sky’ controversy, which is why the recent WWOS watermark is there. So, credit to Nine for this!

18 Likes

We used to all live with out it, who’s to say we couldn’t do it again?

it wouldnt be possible. not in this morden world. and not in the medical world thats for sure . and people would die with out it

6 Likes

Here’s a Script for the Evening Updates in the lead up to the Sydney 6pm News. Was taken by a friend who works in the Newsroom at Channel Nine.

12 Likes

I’m not sure what to say about this, except “see the pictures”:

Embarrassing.

12 Likes

Embarrassing? Not at all. A bit of light hearted fun during a time of such negativity. Well done to Mel and Andrew for giving it a go.

10 Likes

At least it wasn’t Bruce Paige, Peter Hitchener or Tony Jones trying this.

That would have been worse.

1 Like

It’s not a breakfast show, it’s the 6pm News. Hard to imagine Peter Hitchener or Brian Henderson being reduced to this.

5 Likes

At least it wasn’t whilst they were doing the bulletin. That would be embarrassing.

This is probably a bit better considering it was recorded earlier and at least shows that Lofty isn’t as much of a robotic presenter as he usually is.

5 Likes

Peter Overton had a crack during the 2017 Gold Telethon:

5 Likes

That’s different though- it was for charity and on the Telethon, not the 6pm News. I’m fine with Andrew and Melissa doing the cross promotion on radio, and even airing it on the 4pm News if they had to. But, not sure what this does for their credibility. It is just a reflection of the state of the bulletin.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Hell no.

As long as Nine News Queensland are winning in the ratings, they get to have some fun at their rivals’ expense.

1 Like

What’s this supposed to mean? How are they having fun at Seven’s expense? They’re only joining the Nutbush dance thing.

3 Likes

This makes no sense.

I’m fine with the dancing. It’s hardly the lead story and not really different to a one-liner after a cat up the tree story at the end of a bulletin or joke between the news and sports presenters.

4 Likes

Normally I would have an issue with this, but I’m not sure, I think when the news is all doom and gloom with covid coverage a bit of a laugh is ok.

Let’s not forget, this is the same bulletin which only a few years ago weighed in on the Yanny/Laurel sound debate. I wonder if anyone has the video of that?

3 Likes