Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Nine’s default setting for promos is dramatic. They seemingly can’t make any other type of promo

3 Likes

Nine News Sydney used to produce some really nice promos. Neither of those above is good.

3 Likes

I’m late to this, but I would also point out that power is certainly not a must have.

Really? I’d probably say that electricity is an essential service!

9 Likes

Sport and Finance billboards:

SCA version:

NBN versions:

2 Likes

Don’t know exactly when the backdrop in Melbourne looked like this, but that is UGLY!
Was this the same for other states?

3 Likes

That was the ugly period (from about early 2000s to 2009) where they had a green screen behind them and a big wooden desk like that one for news. Very cheap and ghastly even for that era. Thankfully nowadays Nine Melbourne looks much more professional and versatile in terms of news presentation.

7 Likes

Would that explain the green on the top of the desk?

Definitely - much better than what’s going on right now at 7 Melbourne…

The backdrop was used during the special bulletin on Kerry Packer’s death in 2005. The usual backdrop used during this era was a keyed Melbourne skyline. This was in line with Syd and Bris at the time.

It was sometime in 2006 (IIRC)when Melbourne decided to do their own thing and used a blue keyed background and implemented a large wooden desk, which looked like a surfboard. The surfboard looking desk and blue keyed background would last till the brown wooden set/red desk would be implemented.

5 Likes

Yes Melbourne used to have that really cheap looking blue backdrop (which was actually just a green screen) for many years until they got their Sydney replica in 2009/2010. It actually looked worse than Nine Sydney/Brisbane (and only marginally better than Adelaide/Perth at the time) and was probably part of one of the worst graphics package Nine has ever produced (2006-2008, which was surprising given the previous package was excellent).

3 Likes

GTV9 seemed to do things a little different to Sydney and Brisbane. I remember them even having a different graphic package in the late 90s / early 00s.

They continued to swap and change regularly from 2004-2009 when HSV7 dominated the Melbourne ratings.

1 Like

They still smashed Seven News in the ratings, though. They (Nine News) could still present in a backyard shed and still win. That’s how bulletproof they were in the ratings.

Until 2007, when Seven took them out easily. Obviously Nine’s presentation was inferior to Seven’s back then but even with their investment in better graphics/set in 2009 they didn’t get the W until 2012.

1 Like

Personally I think Nine News’ 2009-12 graphics haven’t aged well, compared to the look which succeeded it.

1 Like

11 Likes

You know the COVID- 19 news is drying up when Overton reports on a dog shitting out an engagement ring in the first 25 minutes of the bulletin.

9 Likes

It was on 10 News First Melbourne and 9 News Melbourne as well.

2 Likes

That’s the bowling shoe ugly desk GTV9 had at one point. (Thanks to the original uploader of the pic to MS back many years ago)

15 Likes

This desk was hilarious. The gloss black reflected the blue screen behind, which just looked awful. So to fix it, they tilted the top forward. Scripts often fell.

9 Likes

From memory, this shot was when GTV9 was doing the National Afternoon News for 3 weeks. I believe TCN9 was setting up for its new afternoon show called “This Afternoon “.

4 Likes