Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Skype is so 2010 anyway. Much better alternatives.

1 Like

I’ve found Zoom to buffer and intermittently dropout for a few milliseconds regardless of what kind of connection you and the other participants are on. There must be something more stable Nine could use?

2 Likes

Yuck :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I don’t necessarily disagree than Skype sucks, but if the right technology exists then networks should utilise that.

It may not look perfect to us but viewers are more willing to accept shaky or not quite perfect video these days because it’s what they see in the day to day, on social media or when talking to friends online. This whole period of social distancing and isolation is, as Darren Wick points out, is going to make TV things seem normal to us that otherwise might not have been accepted.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing.

3 Likes

I think the company did say that the spike of demand for the service was causing minor issues like that regardless.

In terms of these services being used in TV, the problem is most people use their computer/ laptop webcam’s for these interviews which obviously has poor quality. If you had someone using the back camera on iPhone, it would be far better quality (but less practical of course).

Despite the issues with Skype, it integrates well into broadcast environments, mostly due to Skype TX and its ability to output to NDI. When used that way, it displays a warning on the guest’s side that they are being recorded, and on the studio output the watermark can be moved to any corner and none of the Skype UI is visible. Skype TX allows calls to be managed for output, and NewTek have a device called TalkShow that has Skype TX built in and can output to SDI so that it can be brought into a vision mixer.

(BTW, NewTek are the ones who developed NDI).

7 Likes

Kent, U.K., Victoria?

4 Likes

And not just for the first part of the cross. But the second part of the cross from Melbourne’s Eastern Freeway as well.

WTF Nine? Appalling mistake. How could that not have been noticed?

2 Likes

Absolutely appalling. They should be ashamed. Hopefully someone gets the sack.

5 Likes

They were having GFX issues the whole broadcast.

1 Like

That pretty bad.

Not a good look for a national bulletin being broadcast out of Sydney.

2 Likes

This seems like a reasonable response.

9 Likes

Sydney promo

2 Likes

I really hope they don’t - its not professional, audio quality isn’t clear and limits the presentation angles. Zoom is a poor product, prefer teams or iPhone quality.

These promo’s don’t work! 7 have a really good promo about their news service from morning to night. It’s effective even though I stick to 9. Many people who aren’t on media spy would be influenced and perhaps give 7 a go. Hence the close ratings in Sydney.

3 Likes

Anzac promo

5 Likes

Nine News Melbourne

Anzac Day Dawn Service at the Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance

Live from 5.30am Saturday

The Melbourne Dawn Service at the Shrine of Remembrance will be broadcast live on Nine from 5.30am tomorrow.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the service will not be open to the public.

Hosted by Brett McLeod, our broadcast will feature:

• A focus on the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII.
  • A formal address from Her Excellency, the Governor of Victoria, the Honourable Linda Dessau. The Governor will also lay a wreath on behalf of all Victorians.
  • RSL Victoria State President Dr Robert Webster OAM will recite the ode.
  • Major General Andrew Bottrell will lay a wreath on behalf of the Australian Defence Force and all current serving personnel.
  • Veteran Mr Daniel Costelloe will lay a wreath on behalf of all veterans.

Immediately following our broadcast will be a special edition of Weekend Today, with Anzac Day highlights from across the nation.

2 Likes

Melbourne coverage:

Perth coverage:

11:30am minute silence package:

8 Likes

Too dramatic. Promos are really off at 9 at the moment. 7 doing a great job promoting coverage across all their news programs.

3 Likes

Sydney bulletin:

7 Likes