Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

I’ve always liked the unique way Perth starts their afternoon news with the presenter leading into the title card and the headlines.

Though I don’t like how Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane call it “Nine Live” instead of “Nine Afternoon News | Nine News at 4” like it was before the full-hour local news, and why the afternoon news has a non-standard title card.

3 Likes

Yeah i know but today (4/7/2018) is a bit different as what I’ve mentioned above. Also. i’m uploading that bulletin now.

Eventually, this is not the first time that they had a bad start as there was a Travel Guides promo appeared in the middle of it.

It’s 5:20pm in Brisbane overcast and dark outside. Ten News shows a traffic report that looks like this

And yet a couple of minutes later Nine shows the following. Seems like a pointless exercise to show a traffic report that is probably at least 20 minutes old.

9 Likes

Where’s Wally?

Back in time for sport!

5 Likes

Some caps of Nine News Sydney’s “Breaking News” coverage of the West Pennant Hills Shooting during tonight’s bulletin - the first report (the cross to Kelly Fedor in the newsroom, Mark Burrows can be seen in the background behind the “dotted globe” pattern if I’m not mistaken) was around 15 minutes in to the bulletin:

Also not really worth mentioning, but Cameron Williams mispronounced “ACA” while plugging the Storm v Dragons NRL game at the end of Sport.

1 Like

It is commonly referred to in that way amongst Nine staffers. Have heard Tracy and Stefanovic refer to it as “ACKA” in the past.

3 Likes

Nine choppergate anyone?

the traffic chopper regularly records vision and replays it in later reports. the reports on nine and seven arvo news are not live I believe.

TEN’s are live, but can use older vision.

1 Like

Traffic reports on radio are often pre-recorded, so I’m not really surprised to hear that Seven/Nine are doing the same with their afternoon (& probably also morning) traffic reports.

morning traffic reports are definitely pre recorded (up to 30 mins before, to allow the editor to add the opener and sponsor tag.)

most all of the radio ones are recorded…

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter if there if the TV traffic report is recorded but in this case the vision didn’t even match the weather on a day when it was raining!

The Brisbane radio traffic reports I listen to don’t seem to be recorded, based on several occasions when the traffic reporter has missed their cue.

1 Like

I know that most radio traffic reports are recorded and I know they don’t even use helicopters anymore because they’re too expensive.

I just wonder if they have some magic box that makes lovely crystal clear studio microphone audio into shitty scratchy distorted helicopter microphone audio.

2 Likes

I think the Australian Traffic Network might still have at least one chopper in the air per city but yeah, certainly a far cry from the days when individual radio (let alone TV) stations had their own helicopters in the air.

Aside from maybe the ones during Ten’s news (and even then…), traffic reports on TV are more of an ad than anything of use to viewers 99% of the time IMO.

Nine cementing their position as number 2 in Brisbane. This exclusive report was apparently news tonight.

6 Likes

most of them are.

ATN have choppers in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. they use the main roads operations centre in Adelaide and Perth.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s called a telephone :stuck_out_tongue:

Pretty sure that’s how some radio stations record the traffic reports, just to cheat the chopper effect.

3 Likes

No caps, but a couple nights ago Nine Adelaide was reporting on developments from a light plane crash at Parafield Airport the previous night. The top RHS was plastered with “First On Scene” marks from footage that previous night.

I know that this is a recurring problem on all commercial channels, but who actually gives a damn? Unless it’s a live cross, or an actual exclusive, who cares if the story was “First On [channel] News” or if they were “First On Scene”, though Nine are really the only ones that do “First On Scene”.

1 Like

Correct, breakfast ones are partially recorded too, the recording window to air is usually around 15-20 minutes.

Some stations tho.

TETRA, that’s all I have to say.

1 Like

Dave Andrews does traffic via ATN for a number of SEQ outlets including from the traffic helicopter for TV as well as being a DJ for Breeze and Rebel FM. This requires a change of t-shirt.

Ten (live) and Seven from this afternoon.

4 Likes