Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

I agree, I would like to see a refresh of the current sets/graphics/openers and theme music (though I would still like to keep the Cool Hand Luke formula, but in an updated mix).

AND… I know it probably won’t happen, BUT I would like to see a return to “National Nine News” branding. “Nine News” just seems indistinct and too similar to Seven News or ABC News.

6 Likes

NNN… yes pls :smiley:
Always liked that brand.

Nah, National Nine News Melbourne just sounds weird.

3 Likes

I agree, it didn’t really make sense to brand the bulletin as “National Nine News” when the 6pm bulletin wasn’t even national. Heck, “National Nine News” wasn’t even a truly statewide broadcast especially in the case of Sydney/NSW.

Probably the only reason that the “National Nine News” brand stuck in the first place was because it was a legacy of the Nine Network being called “the National Nine Network” back in the earlier days of TV.

4 Likes

Well maybe they could try the National Nine News branding for any national bulletins like 4PM, Morning, and keep Nine News Melbourne for 6PM

1 Like

Of course, none of which are national either.

1 Like

Hence why I always refer to the Sydney-originated Morning and Afternoon bulletins as semi-national, due to Queensland getting it’s own versions with Adelaide/Perth opting out of the Afternoon news at 5pm.

3 Likes

So how does ‘Semi-National Nine News apart from 6PM’ sound?

5 Likes

And get Semi Radradra (Eels winger) to present it!

3 Likes

Semi-National Nine News apart from 6PM Queensland 4PM edition with Alison Ariotti

2 Likes

Realistically, the only truly national bulletins that Nine airs these days would be Early Edition and Nine News Now!

1 Like

And the 5:00pm Saturday news?

1 Like

Well yeah, I guess Nine News: First At Five* counts too although it doesn’t air here on Sundays (and with the finals nearing, likely a few Saturdays in coming weeks too) due to NRL coverage! :wink:

*Really, Nine should drop the name now that Ten’s using it again. Call it “Nine’s Weekend Afternoon News” or something!

I realise that Nine News is not always necessarily “national” in terms of what bulletins are seen where, but I think the “national” element of the brand adds an air authority to the bulletin.

And that Nine has the ability to cover items of national significance from almost anywhere, I think they are still the best resourced of the 3 commercial networks, they usually have the best and most comprehensive of major events when compared to Seven or Ten,

1 Like

Nine are heading in the opposite direction though with the introduction of more localised bulletins. They must see more value in the banding “The Queensland edition of Nine’s Afternoon/Morning News”. Throwing in a “national” to the opener would not make sense to me. Also, I’d rather Nine Gold Coast News than National Nine News Gold Coast, the latter seems to lessen the Gold Cost aspect of the branding.

4 Likes

Nine Gold Coast News has NEVER carried the “national” tag on its branding during the “National Nine News” days on the network.

I’m not suggesting that GC should pick up that branding as well, for obvious reasons as you pointed out :blush:

1 Like

Personally I find the “Nine News Now” brand annoying and a bit strange. What does the “Now” part represent? Are they trying to be current or something?

1 Like

I like the NNN for the regional news - “from National NINE News, this is your local Nine News Queensland” makes it sound more urgent and important. Also could help with branding for NBN - “From National NINE News, this is your local NBN News” etc etc

And BTW - my sources confirm there are some differences coming to Nine News soon. Stay tuned.

6 Likes

I don’t know if would be a consideration, but I would have thought that “national” would not be something that could not be trademarked (unlike Eyewitness News). Nine could change brand to NNN and find the next day Seven could also start using Seven National News.

Nine is getting around the limitations of only being allowed to show 3 minutes of video of Olympics events three times per day by using still images of the Boomers v USA basketball game during Nine News Now. I didn’t notice any credit on the images.

2 Likes