Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Yes, unfortunately these kinds of errors are becoming more frequent everywhere due to cost cutting I think.

You can’t even pick up a major newspaper like “The Daily Telegraph” without seeing a spelling or grammatical error in it. I saw one major Telegraph article earlier this week that had a mistake in the first sentence. That kind of thing never used to happen.

3 Likes

Today’s 2.30pm “Interest Rates Decision” Update with Peter Overton & Ross Greenwood:

Amazingly, the plasma graphics are stuck in the 2009-12 presentation era! :open_mouth:

8 Likes

Promos from 9 Brisbane starting with the 9 News Isuzu MuX - “out and about in a suburb near you soon”.

4 Likes

Ken Sutcliffe made an unexpected appearance during Nine News Sydney’s closer tonight. :stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNkTdgZC3mU

3 Likes

So what is the schedule in Perth these days with NewsNow airing live?

1 Like

12pm: Ellen
1pm: Nine News Now
2pm: Movie
4pm: Nine Afternoon News
5pm: Nine News Live at 5pm

1 Like

that’s probably be a better schedule in the eastern states too, break up the news.

9 Likes

I was genuinely surprised this morning when Danny Weidler’s “Exclusive” on Today about Jarryd Hayne joining the Gold Coast Titans was an actual exclusive. Usually Weidler’s exclusives on Nine News are anything but.

Perhaps not. It had been rumoured for a couple of days and the possibility he could be joining the Titans was apparently mentioned on Nine’s Gold Coast news last night,

1 Like

Rio Olympics Coverage Promo Endtag (unfortunately it’s back to SD-only vision for these topical news/ACA/Today promos this week):

6 Likes

it was on Triple M NRL on Saturday.

According to last night’s ratings, Nine News Perth beat Seven News Perth by a comfortable lead…

2 Likes

Is Nine News Brisbane going to be live from the Ekka from Monday? IIRC, though, they didn’t go last year.

I’m pretty sure that if they were, we would’ve heard an official announcement so I’d say no.

AFAIK, the most recent year that Nine News Queensland did live broadcasts from the Ekka was 2013.

3 Likes

Not very likely given who are the sponsors :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Considering 7 news was at 4.30

2 Likes

Big guns out in ratings battle between Nine and Seven networks in Brisbane and Gold Coast

Part that may be of interest (the rest we already know - weeks won so far in Brisbane)

Last month, Seven launched its highly anticipated Gold Coast bulletin, a reported multimillion-dollar investment that included a new studio and a lavish launch party.

Seven’s move saw Nine invest in a refurbished Gold Coast studio, as well as adding popular presenter Wendy Kingston to the nightly bulletin, alongside veteran presenter Bruce Paige.

So far, Nine — which has had a Gold Coast bulletin for 20 years — has had the edge, winning each of the four ratings weeks.

Nine’s Queensland director of news, Mike Dalton, said the timing of Kingston’s return to Queensland had been perfect.

“We’ve revamped and relaunched, and the viewers have been really welcoming to Wendy,” he said.

“Seven spent a lot of money on their launch and marketing and making a fanfare, but we have been there for 20 years.”

Meanwhile, Seven’s news director for southeast Queensland, Neil Warren, remains confident.

“We’re really happy with the way it’s going and the way it’s been progressing,’’ he said. “We’re offering a product that we believe is better.”

3 Likes

Now that Seven has refreshed their graphics, does anything think that we can expect Nine to do the same thing soon as well?

3 Likes

Sharp observers of Nine News (and indeed, the network as a whole) over the last few years would’ve noticed how they gradually evolve their look over the lifetime of an On-Air Presentation package and regularly update the promo graphics. Even if you just compared how Nine News was branding and promoting itself in February 2015 compared to the branding and promotion of Nine News in November 2015 (as an example), you’ll notice some subtle differences.

Within the last six months or so however, we haven’t really seen Nine News evolve their branding that much. Aside from the recent changes to the Gold Coast bulletin, the last major changes to the news service would’ve been the updated national set and the move to automated studios for Sydney and Melbourne - that happened in January/February. The last time we really saw any major promo launches or new promo graphics was about a year ago now. In contrast, the general channel branding, Today, ACA and 60 Minutes have all had branding changes (some of which have been quite major) in some form or another since this time last year.

What are we expecting from Nine News in the foreseeable future? Well Perth is expected to move into their new studios this month (presumably post-Olympics, for obvious reasons) and of course, we certainly can’t forget about how September 16 will mark 60 years of Channel Nine Sydney.

What have we seen or are expecting from other networks this year? Seven News had a relaunch (albeit, a very stilted one) throughout this year, Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five had a partial graphics refresh in May and there’s some credible talk about ABC News having some branding changes of their own.

Also consider this: Nine has used their current titlecards since 2012, some of the local news sets date back to 2009 while the theme music hasn’t been touched since 2008. Television news has changed quite a bit since 2012, let alone 2008-09!

If you were to ask me for my personal opinion, knowing all of the above factors (yes, that even includes Michael Usher’s defection to Seven) I wouldn’t entirely rule out the possibility of branding changes at Nine News within the next six months or so. But you’d have to expect any possible Nine News branding changes to be more of an evolution rather than a revolution of the current look. That’s a strategy which has traditionally served them very well, unlike what they decided to do in 2006 with a relaunch which can probably be classed as one of the most infamous of all time in Australian TV news alongside Seven News’ failed 2014 theme music.

There are a few more things I’d really like to say, but unfortunately now is not the time for that. So stay tuned… :wink:

4 Likes