Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Would this be an automation failure? Seems to be happening regularly for them since it was introduced.

I’m surprised Pete asked aloud for clarification from the news director on where they were heading, I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that before.

3 Likes

In the old days it was quite common for the talent to seek direction via a telephone at the desk when stories failed to play. There are plenty of examples on You Tube. Some news sets, the old 6pm Eyewitness News and early '80s National Nine News come to mind, even incorporated phones as a feature on the news desk to give the broadcast an air of immediacy.

I agree it is highly unusual to see a newsreader seek direction aloud like that. The director ideally would be giving cues and feedback via the IFB without having to be asked.

6 Likes

So it’s pretty much a 24 hour news station on ANZAC Day…

1 Like

Unusual but good on Pete for asking. Potentially awkward situation handled perfectly

1 Like

I agree.

From what I’ve seen, Peter Overton usually handles technical difficulties quite well and the clip above certainly isn’t an exception. Knowing that he often appears reliant on the autocue even when things are running smoothly (at least that’s the impression that I seem to get), Mark Ferguson would probably struggle in a similar situation!

2 Likes

I think these kinds of ‘bloopers’ are good for the personality aspect of bulletins. They can be so formal and rigid these days. Shows that the presenter is human and these things happen in real life.

5 Likes

There’s been a few bloopers like that this year with the automation system in place.

Twice this year I’ve seen lighting issues, and thus twice now I’ve heard Pete uses Hendo’s classic line about having to put coins in the meter. Pete will need to come up with something new next time it happens!

1 Like

More autocue problems on Nine News Sydney tonight with Overton having to read from paper scripts in the segment following sport.

1 Like

Which lasted until the final weather report.

scraping the bottom of the barrel to fill up an hour of news tonight.

What was that wrestling story all about? that was ACA territory

another thing I hadn’t seen before during Nine News Sydney tonight…
The sub titles said (when going to an ad break)…

“Take Break… Duration 2’ 45"”.

Useful info to be able to slot in that pit stop without missing a second of your news :smile:

5 Likes

copy and pasting from the scripts I see…

That tells the program (ENPS) how long the break is to allow it to ‘time out’ the bulletin.

A few caps of Nine’s coverage of Sydney’s ANZAC Day Dawn Service early this morning:

Incase you’re wondering, SD caps are the best that I can do although probably good enough since the graphics were mostly the same as that used in previous years and to be honest, I don’t think that the actual feed of the service (which I presume was something that all networks would’ve had access to) would’ve been in HD anyway.

4 Likes

Brisbane Dawn Service. The cameras struggled a bit with the very low lighting. The first slide was the intro with the an announcement at the beginning from Darren Curtis at the service. (The HD bug remained on screen throughout).

4 Likes

Caps of the coverage of the Gallipoli and Villers-Bretonneux Dawn Services.

One interesting thing was the use of the national news/ACA set (including special orange lighting) this year, compared to how the Nine News Sydney set had been used for this coverage in previous years.

Judging by the design of the name super, it appears that Nine used a feed from the ABC for the Villers-Bretonneux Dawn Service:

4 Likes

Perth

4 Likes

The Football on Channel 9 ran over so the news was late in Sydney and probably Brisbane too. Will affect the ratings I would think, I usually watch 7 News but am watching 9 now.

I don’t think Nine will be complaining about that effect in the ratings though! :wink:

5 Likes

The Automation in Melbourne seems a little slow at times, leaving for some awkward moments…presenters left on camera when they think they are not!

Very Awkward closer tonight. Pete and Livinia just staring at each other blank.

3 Likes

Nine have provided an update on the special next Wednesday - it is being branded as a Nine News Special, and giving Karl Stefanovic a rare prime time gig.

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/nine-network-programs-and-schedules/43/188?u=tv.cynic