Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Not really a fan of “First & Best”. First to me suggests time and best is subjective. Seven could just as easily use the same tag line.

Why not just stick to facts “Sydney’s Number 1 choice for news” would be better. However, I don’t think that these short promos do a lot to influence people to change news services.

Seven’s comeback? Seven News - “Bigger and Better” or “First in Australia for News”.

8 Likes

Even “First in Australia for News” is a slogan that both Seven and Nine could easily use. Seven could use it to refer to their ratings while Nine could use it refer to the fact that they were first in Australia with television news back in 1956.

Mind you, I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Seven News Sydney eventually calls themselves “Bigger and Better” in a promo knowing some of the other questionable claims Seven have made in some of their current/recent news promos…

4 Likes

Agree - I was highlighting that these adjective-driven tag lines are easy to copy or outdo while something more factual sounds (to me) more credible. Rather than a contest between which news promo has the better adjective . Some other good adjectives that don’t add a lot - unequalled, foremost, leading, unrivalled :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love the set, looks like what a newsroom should look like in 2017, but the presenters feel out of place. Maybe I’ll be wrong, let’s just wait and see.

1 Like

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, topic:67”]
This again raises the question of whether the new Sydney set is already constructed/ready or whether they individually flew the presenters over to Perth to film promotional material on their set during the final months of 2016.
[/quote] That is definitely Perth’s set. There is no way that big screen could fit in studio 21 at TCN.

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:2044, topic:67”]
Nine News Sydney - Promo Endtag (January 2017).jpg1920x1080 1.01 MB

First & Best In Sydney: This tagline almost perfectly sums up Nine News Sydney.
[/quote] True. But I hope they do a lot of promos this year like they did a few years ago and another one that specifically looks at the reporting team and their experience. BTW, @SydneyCityTV thanks for the upload.

Seven News Sydney go blue, Nine News Sydney go red. No brainer right? :sarcasm:

Agree. Perhaps a down-scaled set, what would probably happen, would be more fitting.

4 Likes

Unless there’s plans for Today to share this new set (like how Today Perth News and Nine News Perth at 6pm share a set), then I think the new Nine News Sydney set is probably going to be on a smaller scale.

As I’ve said before, something exactly the same/very similar to Perth’s will not work here (or in Melbourne) with a single newsreader format. Judging by those shots we’ve seen in the promo, a Nine Perth-style set is way too big to work here in Sydney IMO!

Personally though, I think I would’ve preferred Nine to try and get the original designers of the outgoing 2009 East Coast 6pm news sets to give them a 2017 refresh. The size of those aren’t too big or too small, but just right IMO.

3 Likes

The screens all come apart. It’s not one solid block. Will easily fit.

4 Likes

Question must be raised… If nine is going to implement these sets into every capital city, how are they getting the money to do this? (this is a huge investment)

As studio 21 has automation, I don’t think we will see the news move to studio 22 (despite the automation being a complete FAIL at TCN).

1 Like

Dont know what you are all on about! Presenters look great in that set. About time Australia got some decent sets!

18 Likes

Exactly! Australia has been stuck in the past for too long. Once we get these sets rolled out nation-wide, every other set will look obselete :wink:

13 Likes

I really hope Today end up using the current 9 news graphics, as I think they are more suited to breakfast TV, and I hope they add a ticker.

Maybe they will recycle the Sydney news set for the regional bulletins?

agreed!

1 Like

Yes, I certainly don’t expect to see Nine News Sydney moving to Studio 22. ACA moved out of there partly because of The NRL Footy Show on Thursday (well, Wednesday for some of last year) nights - they couldn’t use their set during the season.

If anything, I would probably expect Today to use a set/studio change to go to automation and save costs before overly long.

It’s a major break from the traditional style of set you usually expect from Nine News Sydney and unfortunately, one that I’m not sure local viewers (many of whom don’t like major change!) would like.

Really, we’re talking about the same Sydney 6pm news service which topped the ratings for decades with a set which was little more than a blue stripy globe background and could best be described as very basic even for 1980s/1990s standards. But the sets and graphics don’t make Nine News what it is here in Sydney…the presenters and reporters do.

3 Likes

And, more in Queensland, that set is probably too ‘flash’ TBH. If you look at Nine’s Gold Coast set, Seven News Brisbane/GC sets and Ten News’ set, they are probably the worst of their respective network’s sets but that is what Queenslanders like, uplifting, light and basic. For example, Ten News Brisbane’s set in 2012 was a really nice IMO, but why didn’t the same design roll-out nationally? Because the other states wouldn’t ‘accept’ it and would consider it too laid-back.

2 Likes

Set will launch upon Peter’s return.
Final touches being put to it now, with rehearsals also getting underway.
And Sydney aren’t the only ones!!!

14 Likes

I reckon Today will move back into the news studio.

Disappointing if they are going to run with a loop on the Sydney set though. A panoramic live shot wouldn’t be hard.
Overall I think it looks great! It’s time for people to move on and stop complaining that it isn’t traditional. Markets and presentation need to evolve. Look what happened to 7NEWS in 2008 the decline started because they dished up the same stuff.

I think it’s great they will be implementing a new presentation style. It’s how you evolve a news brand. So many opportunities for that set!

9 Likes

I think the general content/presentation of the commercial TV news services in South East Queensland is to an extent, somewhat more…I don’t know if I’d say laid back (even though things like the inclusion of fishing, boating and surfing reports after the weather is quintessentially Queensland) but perhaps a little more tabloid than their Sydney & Melbourne counterparts?

I also hope that Nine News Sydney retains a liveshot with the new set. That said, Seven News Sydney’s July 2016-now liveshot looks very near identical to the current Nine News Sydney liveshot. They’ve really got to do something to make that background stand out from what the others are using!

I’m not so concerned that Nine News are changing their branding, but rather that they’re changing too much of their branding and removing parts of the brand that are unique in favour of something that doesn’t stand out from the other networks so much.

Case in point: The previous graphics and the outgoing news sets had the “dotty globe” motif, sort of a modern take on the classic “stripy globe” motif and something that works very well with the logo. Distinctively Nine News, distinctively Channel Nine.

The current/newer graphics and set are strikingly similar to the current Ten Eyewitness News graphics (the single reason why I want Ten’s news to have a 2017 relaunch) what with the globe and the lines, pulsating rings, etc. If Seven did this, we’d probably be ripping them apart. Why should Nine be spared from such treatment?

3 Likes

Julie Snook was meant to present the sports news for Sydney’s 6pm news but ended up only covering the first item.

Georgie Gardner had to present the rest of it due to “technical issues”.

There were no OTS graphics either, and the Big Bash coverage was in the wrong order ie. Georgie’s voiceover and the vision had the games were the wrong way around (as 2 games were covered).

3 Likes

Are you also talking about the other Peter? :wink:

1 Like