Nine Cricket Coverage

“they will wait a few weeks till the ball tampering dies down to announce”

cricket channel - yep

Disaster for cricket if this happens. Why would they wait to announce. Just get on with it.

Simulcast deals, cricket channels, seven involved. This is a disasterz

3 Likes

mate also said - if 10 don’t bid on the BBL the fox will get the BBL (his words)
CBS surely won’t let that happen… 10’s highest rating sporting event

1 Like

Tens only sporting event. That’s the thing. That’s all they’ve got.

If Anderson fails to get the rights, CBS should sack him. They should also sack that mcGarvey. She’s failed on all metrics as well.

2 Likes

Just a quick question what position does your mate hold at foxtel does he work at a senior management position or does he work for their call center

1 Like

Business Accounts manager

so I guess he liaises with a lot of pubs / clubs and knows what sports items are comming up…

look at my previous posts- he was right about bein sports and all the EPL channels from each club…

don’t tend to talk him much - but he knows I love my cricket

2 Likes

Oh ok so he would be partly in the know about whats going on here with the cricket broadcasting rights debacle

yep - he don’t know everything…

but hey - what he tells me I’m happy to pass on …

Ten should let Seven have test cricket, while Ten and Fox both share the limited overs cricket (with a joint bid for BBL)

1 Like

Should limited overs cricket be exclusive to a FTA telecaster?

good question, tests yes but maybe not limited overs.

Next summer it will be like this:
South Africa in Australia (5 ODIs, 3 T20s) - starting mid-October
India in Aus - (4 Tests, 3 ODIs, 3 t20s) - starting mid-November
Sri Lanka in AUS - (2 Tests, 3 ODIs) - starting in mid-January.

CA will release a schedule in June.

TEN should sue for defamation and settle out of court with all of the broadcast rights.

< /joke >

1 Like

Nine could have some of their lowest ratings in years next summer given the relatively weak team they have now with no Smith and Warner available.

Then again, assuming the current group maintains their respectful approach to the game like they did in the last Test in South Africa, the public may be more forgiving and more supportive and the ratings may not be so bad after all.

1 Like

The end of an era.

At least we learned today Nine do infact have the rights to the ICC Cricket World Cup in 2019 and the ICC Twenty20 World Cup in Australia in 2020.

In theory, Nine should also have the rights to the upcoming ODI series in England v Australia in June but I haven’t seen anything mentioned about that.

1 Like

No Fox Sports has that.

2 Likes

I wonder if there could be a swap worked out with Seven in exchange for the 2019 AO? Nine still has quite a few individual cricket series locked up for 2019 and 2020.

1 Like

I don’t think Nine would give up the ICC CWC at least, huge ratings for that Mcg final a few years ago.

Plus it’s their last cricket broadcasts, for sentimental value?

And Seven and TA’s contract is surely binding? Not sure how or if it’d eventuate.

1 Like

Seven keeping the tennis for one last year and attempting to dilute the value of Nine’s broadcast agreement with Tennis Australia by prioritising the cricket over the tennis (apart from maybe the big matches)?

Or giving next year’s tennis rights to Nine - a network which in 2018 had a year launching program that was a fairly high rater (although I can’t say for sure, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if both AO coverage and MAFS do well with female demographics) and could potentially get “MKR killing” ratings with the benefit of heavy “After The Tennis” promotion during the coverage, potentially even to the point that Nine starts to seriously challenge Seven’s status as the country’s most watched commercial TV network?

I think I know which option Seven is more likely to pick.

5 Likes

Interesting, because I don’t think it’s been mentioned, but throughout tonight Seven were running a new version of those Seven Sport promos with Bruce McAvaney standing in front of a virtual wall of screens, with the montage/theme of all their gazillion sports.

And “Australian Open” was definitely removed.

(Tennis: Wimbledon & Fed Cup were still mentioned).

No surprises guessing what was added, first cab off the rank (cricket: tests and big bash league).

Anybody cap/video it? Ran ad nausium during Comm Games / AFL.

Sam McClure on Footy Central (half-time and post-game) and commentators at various times during the AFL, also kept flogging it and cracking cricket one-liners / jokes.

Unbelievable

2 Likes