Nine Cricket Coverage

Another summer of cricket over, what am I going to watch now (bar Olympics)!? :open_mouth:

BBL and internationals were enjoyable, topped off by Aussies owning the Ashes.

The sport needs a bit of a refresh, more focus on BBL and new broadcaster for internationals (but hope Ten retain BBL too, maybe get the lot).

For the first time in a long time, I hardly watched ODIs / T20 Internationals. I found myself watching less and less BBL too. Though I did watch Ashes religiously.

Probably watched more tennis than I normally would.

Summing up Nineā€™s coverage IMO, I donā€™t really like it much these days, apart from the historic factor.

Whilst itā€™d feel/look weird, seeing a new network broadcast international cricket one day and same for tennis wouldnā€™t be a bad thing.

LOL If they do lose cricket, itā€™ll essentially be the only sport they have!

Thereā€™s no way in hell Iā€™d imagine theyā€™d lose NRL in that case!

I do wonder if Nine would want cricket more or NRL more or both equally?

3 Likes

i dont think foxtel will take it not with the recent channel changes unless the new ceo thinks it would bring in more money but other wise i think it might stay on fta

I think Nine should be happy with the ratings this summer, even if certain cricket (ODIs / T20 Intā€™ls) donā€™t get 1m+ these days.

Given current environment and competition, plus BBL.

Ashes was massive.

Only a couple of ODIs were beaten by Sevenā€™s Aus Open (out of the entire summer), very solid result for Nine Iā€™d have thought.

1 Like

I just want 9 to retain the rights so I can hear Bill Lawry again!

1 Like

Not really, Nine have shown full episodes as a ā€œSneak Peekā€ before :shake head:

1 Like

Cā€™mon Sammy, we love Bill and always will (and RIP Richie and Tony), but Bill will only he able to or wanting to for how much longer? A year or two? Nearly 80 years old.

Fresh blood needed too I reckon.

He is on radio as well. When he isnā€™t doing his shift for nine he is doing it for one of the radio broadcasters. So you will still hear him. Who knows whoever picks up the rights might pick him up too. He is an absolute legend.

I donā€™t think Billā€™s on radio. Youā€™re probably thinking of Chappell I, who does radio for Macquarie.

4 Likes

Bill Lawry was absent last night for some reason?

He tends not to do T20 unless Iā€™m mistaken.

Shit I am too. Sorry.

He did the T20 in Geelong last year which I think is the only one heā€™s done this decade.

While commenting on Nine getting the broadcast rights for the Australian Open, Nineā€™s director of sport Tom Malone said (via Mumbrella):

We also still have rights to the upcoming premium cricket events ā€“ 2019 ODI World Cup in England, and both T20 World Cups in Australia in 2020, and we are the exclusive rights holder to the 2019 Ashes in England, which will mark the first time Steve Smith and Dave Warner will be eligible to play Test cricket again.

This is the first mention of Nine getting the rights to the 2020 Twenty20 World Cup in Australia. Has the rights ever been put out on tender? Why was there no announcement for it?

5 Likes

Yes, but only as a whole package of ICC events from 2015-2023 and our networks balked at the price. Star Sports eventually sold the first of those events as a standalone days out from the event

Fox Sports have shown the last few ICC events (Champions Trophy, World Cup qualifier and U19 World Cup) so perhaps along with Nine they have now bought that package. Youā€™d think that would be worthy of an announcement.

1 Like

Rumours the Seven/Fox have scored the rights.

I would be shocked if Ten were left with nothing again.

Well if this does end up being true and seven/Foxtel do obtain the rights Ten are in some serious trouble as is the cricket in my opinion.

2 Likes

yepā€¦
fuck no if Foxtel get the rights, cricket is screwedā€¦
have CA learnā€™t nothing from the ECB?

tho - mate at foxtel said this hinges on them having a cricket channelā€¦

seven fuck up everything they touch.

3 Likes

just asked my mate - see what he says

mate at foxtel says its true -

ā€œthats why nine have the tennisā€