Nine Cricket Coverage

Haven’t heard Lisa do any play by play but it doesn’t mean she can’t.

And those commentators will be freelance. Either network could sign them exclusively if they wished

1 Like

Isn’t it only a two year deal covering the three test Pakistan series in 2016/17 and the just finished Ashes series?

Absolutely agree about Isa Guha - she’s someone who is both a great commentator but a great analyst as well

2 Likes

yep but Gus Worland the other day said they signed for an extra year.

Isha is certainly a standout… she knows the game well (having played for England), has a great personality…

And importantly… has a fabulous voice.

1 Like

Unless Triple M has exercised an one-year extension option in their contract, I doubt whether Gus is correct. I say that because the two-year deal aligns with when the ABC & Macquarie’s rights also expire and I doubt that CA would do a deal with any rightsholder when rights negotiations have probably only just begun

While I agree the Nine coverage may have improved a little… it’s still quite ‘cringeworthy’.

VIEWER QUESTION: ‘Slat’s, who’s your favorite co-commentator?’ CUE: nonsense pretend camaraderie… answer ‘Ravi Shastri’.

‘Pup’s’ little pipsqueak Year 11 schoolboy voice is probably the thing that annoys me the most (as is Brett Lee’s on Triple M).

What also bugs me about this current crop is they seem to have lost touch with the average viewer who may only have ever played fleetingly. The old guard knew the bulk of their audience lay with the general populace and took the time (in a non-condescending way) to often explain the game in terms that appealed to average cricket fans.

Ten and Triple M do this well (and the ABC, BBC and Macquarie to some extent) by having a good mix of ‘lovers of the game’ and former players…

Sometimes listening to the Nine commentary is like being the uninvited guest at some reunion, where all these ex cricketers just refer to each other in their pet nicknames, share in-jokes, lay shit on each other and seem more focused on talking to each other than talking to us the audience.

Michael Vaughan looked frustrated by this a few times during this series.

3 Likes

There have been rumours from Sydney Morning Herald saying that Bill Lawry might have called his last test match at the SCG after 37 years on air.

3 Likes

Does anybody know whether Nine covered any of the domestic T20 competition before Big Bash started and when they were still covering some of the domestic games? One thing in particular I’ve noticed with comparing the Nine coverage now with the Ten coverage of Big Bash is that it’s a lot more of a family feel. There’s a lot more involvement of the kids from getting them to do pieces to the camera, showing them regularly in the crowd, the viewer videos etc… Something which they do handle quite well which can help to grow the game. I agree it’s much easier to do with Big Bash with the carnival type feel but it’s something I’ve noticed comparing the two. The test matches feel much older.

This has been one thing that has really grated on me this series, especially when there’s been a review which often goes Australia’s way and he disputes it.

1. Fox Sports covered the first few years of the BBL along with it’s state-based precursor which ran from 2005 to 2010.
  2. After a period of Fox Sports showing it, Nine re-started showing the domestic one-day competition between 2013 and 2016. They didn’t cover it last year due to committing to show the one-day and T20 matches of the Women’s Ashes
3 Likes

Whatever happens with tests et. al. be it Nine or Ten, women must be a part of the commentary in some way.

Came across this fantastic article from 2016, looking at just that, including the Kelli Underwood story (which many would be aware - both the good and bad of it):
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/swoop/nothing-stopping-women-cracking-maledominated-commentary-boxes-of-the-nrl-afl-says-ray-warren/news-story/d782b2eb54a62c2a5a5a0fb7c773bdeb

If Ten gained tests, hoepfully they’d add Mel and Lisa to the coverage and fingers crossed history would be made, with say Mel being the first female co-caller of test cricket on TV (in the world?) :+1:

2 Likes

NZ has used female experts for tests, not sure about out and out lead-caller though. Definitely ODIs and T20s though. (And not even a former player!)

1 Like

Its already been done - Nine tried it in the 80s with Kate Fitzpatrick

Australia needs more female voices in sport - Fox are really leading the charge in this space

3 Likes

A shame the two juggernaut winter codes - AFL & NRL can’t do the same on TV?

At least Seven / Fox Footy too nervous, given the unprecedented fall-out from Kelli Underwood in 2009 / 2010?

I say it’s time to at least try it again, we’ve come a long way in 7 years, particularly Fox Sports’ coverage as you say and Ten’s BBL cricket, as well as others (Seven’s Olympics / Aus Open / Melb Cup all have numerous females).

1 Like

One Day International Series

All the sizzling action from the Summer of Cricket continues LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE on Channel Nine this Sunday with the start of the Gillette One Day International Series between Australia and England.

After Australia’s 4-0 victory over England in the 2017-2018 Magellan Ashes series, the focus now shifts to the Gillette One Day International Series, which will be followed by the Gillette T20 International Series in February when New Zealand join both countries to do battle.

This Sunday, January 14, Australia clash with England in Melbourne at the MCG in the first of five One Day International games. Coverage begins at 1.30pm AEST on Channel Nine.

In a shock recall, Cameron White joins the Australian team after impressing with the bat lately, while many others including in-form captain Steve Smith, David Warner and Mitchell Marsh will back up after outstanding performances in The Ashes. And fast bowlers Mitchell Starc and Pat Cummins will again look to bully England.

England meanwhile will be searching for redemption in the shorter forms of the game after a gruelling Ashes campaign. ODI captain Eoin Morgan and Joe Root will want to dig in at the crease to give their side the best chance of victory.

All the upcoming ODI and T20 action will be enhanced on Channel Nine thanks to cutting-edge Gatorade Tracker technology from Catapult Sports, the leader in sports performance analytics.

As seen in the Fifth Test in Sydney, as well as NRL and State of Origin coverage on Nine, the technology enhances the broadcast by offering deeper insights into intricate performance aspects of the athletes on the field, showcasing specific metrics such as distance covered and speeds travelled. This information is also made available to the coaches, allowing them to identify areas of improvement and where different players are excelling.

BROADCAST SCHEDULE

4 Likes

Will Uk viewers get the nine commentators?

10:30am AEST is 7:30am WST, the Perth match is starting at 7:30am?

1 Like

Good pick up, but I think they meant 10:30 AM WST or 1:30 PM EDST.

2 Likes

Same with the Brisbane and Adelaide I reckon too, should all be 1:30 AEDT or 12:30 AEST for Brisbane and 1:00 ACDT for Adelaide.

1 Like

I think for space reasons they are only listing one time zone, and for consistency that should be AEDST for all games as that is the most populous south east of Australia (NSW, VIC, ACT and TAS).

1 Like

That’s fine listing it in one time zone but they’ve listed the local time and then put AEDT afterwards which is incorrect.

So the games are all starting at 2:20 local time in Melbourne and Sydney and coverage is therefore starting at 1:30pm local time which is AEDT.

Brisbane game is starting at 1:20pm local time and coverage starting at 12:30pm local time (AEST) which is actually 1:30pm AEDT.

Same with Adelaide, game starts 1:50pm local time (ACDT) which is 2:20pm AEDT. Coverage would be starting at 1:00pm local time which is 1:30pm AEDT along with all the others, including Perth.

EDIT:
The easiest way to think of it is: all games are at 1:30pm EDT - then equate to your time zone, 12:30 EST, 13:00 CDT, 12:00 CST and 10:30am WST. But they are all timed to be at the same broadcast time.

2 Likes