Nine Cricket Coverage

The coverage finished at 7pm (AEDT)

1 Like

Malcolm Turnbull was in commentary with Ian Healy and Mark Taylor.

2 Likes

Staple of the Sydney test, the PM of the day doing the rounds of the commentary boxes.

2 Likes

And on MMM at tea today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mike Gatting was a guest commentator inside the box with Healy and Warne.

1 Like

And was on ABC Grandstand earlier too.

1 Like

He is BBC 5live’s updates pundit.They run fifteen-minute updates on the BBC equivalent of NewsRadio.

Comparing 9 metro to 9 SC in Queensland, the regional coverage is 7-8 seconds behind. Comparing the regional TV coverage to the SC regional MMM radio it is a huge 10 seconds behind compared to a couple of secs in Brisbane.

1 Like

Pink graphics

7 Likes

There will always be a lag between analogue radio and digital TV.

2 Likes

This could be the last day of Test cricket broadcast on Channel Nine for a while now depending on who wins the next round of rights. Will be strange not hearing the familiar tune on the opening if that is the case next season.

6 Likes

As expected they pair Shane Warne and Michael Clarke when the game is all but done. Doing a great job, so i don’t see why they can’t pair them up all the time.

1 Like

England surviving at the moment though…

Edit: Slightly anticlimactic finish!

Nine of course still have some ODIs / T20 Internationals to come, but I suppose being the last day of the Ashes test series, it might’ve been fitting to say something about the rights negotiations or that it may be their last.

Probably preaching to the choir, but I reckon Ten / CBS will go hard. Just a gut feeling. Given Ten’s current performance, let alone sports slate.

Also haven’t heard very serious claims / pushing from Hugh Marks, for a network you’d think would be desperate to keep the rights either.

Good piece comparing Nine and Ten’s cricket commentary

5 Likes

I actually think the Nine coverage has been better than the last few years this year, less dumb shit like pizza polls or sending someone to investigate the scoreboard.

They need to move Mel Jones into the comm box though if they retain the rights, wasted on Cricket Show duties. The ABC should also look at her to replace Whateley, as someone suggested in another thread.

2 Likes

According to a report in yesterday’s Sunday Herald Sun, the rights negotiations won’t conclude until May so Nine, Ten and the various radio rightsholders will/have (in Triple M’s case) sign off their coverage in a few weeks without knowing whether they’ll be back next season or if they do, in what capacity:

6 Likes

OMG LOL

Can Lisa Sthlaker do play-by-play? Or just Mel?

Both have been part of Ten and Nine’s coverage this year (though the latter not part of play, but The Cricket Show).

Nice to see networks having mutual agreement to share stellar commentators.

I see Mel’s lined-up for the 2nd of tonight’s double header in WA. So Gilly hosts but then moves quickly into an ‘expert’ role. Unique team.

Triple M have already got next year’s series. They signed a 3 year deal. This was the 2nd year.

The play by play on triple m has been good… there’s some English woman who’s pretty good.