Nine Cricket Coverage

Back when they still did a decent job of covering World Cups

1 Like

Before the icc took over the coverage. Not nines fault when the coverage is run out of Murdoch india’ arm of the business. Who is he going to give the coverage to, nine or fox?

2 Likes

Someone who is stupid enough to pay the massive overs that’s being charged for these events.

Doesn’t seem to be too expensive for other countries. Just our cheap and stingy broadcasters. Leaving it to the last minute to purchase rights is shameful.

1 Like

I bet for some parts of the world where they’re trying to grow the game they probably give it to the if not free close to it.

Also back on the history side of things. With Boxing Day coming tomorrow.
In the summer of 1989/90 There was no Boxing Day Test. Instead on Boxing Day there was a One Day International. Kicked off that summers B & H World Series Cup

6 Likes

Great to see Bill Lawry back in commentary. With this new commentating formula, is he classed as a lead commentator? Because if not, in theory that means we won’t see the iconic pairing of Lawry and Ian Chappell. Lets hope Channel 9 hasn’t ruined that.

Edit: Lawry and Warne first up, so to answer my own question, yes he is a lead commentator.

1 Like

Lawry and Chappel were never an iconic pairing. Sadly, his iconic partner is no longer with us - Tony Greig.

PS Ian is not a lead commentator.

2 Likes

Channel Nine commentator Mark Nicholas has been taken from the MCG for medical treatment by paramedics.

A stretcher came into the back of the broadcast facility to assist Nicholas.

He was reported to be struggling and sweating profusely.

Nicholas is said to be in a stable condition, although it is unclear immediately what the medical issue is.

He was assisted to hospital by Nine’s head of sport Tom Malone.

Nine is expected to provide updates on Nicholas’s health throughout the day.

1 Like

^ A Nine spokesman said Mark Nicholas had abdominal pains during a break and went to hospital for checks.
Hope he will be well enough to return to the MCG tomorrow to commentate. If not I am sure the likes of Slater, Healy or Taylor can host the coverage.

Slater is currently hosting.

i think he should be told to rest tomorrow until he feels better

2 Likes

Thanks Doc!

10 Likes

Nice touch by Mark Howard on Ch 10’s BBL tonight, wishing Mark Nicholas all the best :+1:

–

I read online Tom Malone (Ch 9’s sport head) travelled to hospital with Mark.

Brent Williams (executive producer of cricket) remained in the truck, leading the coverage.

Unlike Williams, Malone doesn’t live in Melbourne so is probably time-constrained.

Wonder if Nicholas will return for the Boxing Day Test, doubtful? :confused:

I think he’d be better off resting and come back for the 3rd test

1 Like

What a fool. Obviously he should’ve lived in Melbourne, which, as we are all now aware, is the centre of the Universe.

14 Likes

ESPN Cricinfo says Mark Nicholas has been released from hospital and should be ready to return to commentary tomorrow (Wednesday).

1 Like

This test will more likely than not go 5 days, with all these rain delays. Good for cricket, good for Ch 9, good for the fans (including me, I’ll be straight to the MCC reserve on Friday hopefully) :slight_smile:

Really really enjoying Bill Lawry’s commentary, sad to think this year (or next year) may be the last time we hear him. His pairing with Nicholas and Warnie is good.

1 Like

That lunch break was a disaster, what even was that. All I got was Michael Clarke and Andy Lee in drunk goggles, with Slater making lame comments.

Mark Taylor in the host position now in the main studio in the Olympic Stand.

Rain delay continues.

Mark Taylor hosting because Slats and Ian Healy were just down on the ground with the cricket show. I think Slats will be back in the main chair at tea.

1 Like